Why does everyone want to trade Glencross?

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I see him in tons of proposals. I just don't get it. He's probably our best winger at this point. Not only is he always being proposed but he's being sold short every time.

He's an Albertan cowboy that wants to stay here and plays Flames-style hockey.

I know we've got lots of kids pushing on the LW but why not just try him on the off-wing?

Yeah he was playing uninspired hockey to start the season, but he still finished with a 26 goal pace. And it was one season!

Somebody please explain this to me.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Older asset with value, if the possibility to bring back some solid youth comes along I'd do it.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Older asset with value, if the possibility to bring back some solid youth comes along I'd do it.

Fair enough, but why are we asking for a 2nd rounder and a B prospect for him? Every time we make a proposal, the other team's fans are like 'holy ****, yeah sure!!'.

This is a guy who shoots at like 17% and brings a lot to the table. His value is more than what we're asking for.

What have you done for me lately.

Glencross has been awesome for us. And he showed his loyalty with one of the craziest hometown discounts, and that's not being reciprocated these days by the fans.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Because trading him is the only way to convince Bob Hartley that he excels in a 2-3rd line role.....not 1st.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want him gone because he's a cowboy and he doesn't fit in the demographics in Calgary. Also my wife thinks he's hot, something about his dimples and wavy hair.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I want him gone because he's a cowboy and he doesn't fit in the demographics in Calgary. Also my wife thinks he's hot, something about his dimples and wavy hair.

Now that's understandable.

The thing is though, he's most likely not gonna waive his NTC anyway. All these conversations are pointless. It's probable that the only two options are re-signing him, or letting him walk when he becomes a UFA. I'd rather keep him around for the veteran presence than lose him for nothing. Especially when he'll give us a bigger discount than any other team.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Because trading him is the only way to convince Bob Hartley that he excels in a 2-3rd line role.....not 1st.

We don't have any good players to play on the first line. Most of us/youl want him gone, but right now he is a player we need in Calgary. We can't put rookies their right off the bat. Playing top lines would be a disaster.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
We don't have any good players to play on the first line. Most of us/youl want him gone, but right now he is a player we need in Calgary. We can't put rookies their right off the bat. Playing top lines would be a disaster.

I don't want him gone. But I don't want him playing on the first line.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Guys, the Oilers play rookies on the top line and look how...

Ohhhh...right!!!

Are you saying Edmonton is where they are because their top line is full of rookies?

Because look at their top lines point totals and look at ours with GlenX and any 2 flames.

If Edmonton had 3 more lines that produced at that level, they'd be fine. Edmontons problem is not because their top line is full of rookies.

I'm not implying GlenX shouldn't be on this team. I'm not implying we should trade our vets and only play rookies. I'm the last guy on this board who would say this. What I am saying is GlenX always been successful on the 2nd and 3rd line. Not top line, and not against elite Defence. That's not his game. He plays a great shutdown role, he used to be a great energy player. Weather his body can handle it is another thing...he certainly shouldn't be on our 1st line the way Hartley plays his 1st line.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I see him in tons of proposals. I just don't get it. He's probably our best winger at this point. Not only is he always being proposed but he's being sold short every time.

He's an Albertan cowboy that wants to stay here and plays Flames-style hockey.

I know we've got lots of kids pushing on the LW but why not just try him on the off-wing?

Yeah he was playing uninspired hockey to start the season, but he still finished with a 26 goal pace. And it was one season!

Somebody please explain this to me.

I've been wondering this as well. He's a leader, he wants to be here which is underrated in a re-build. One of our best forwards.

fallsviewafro*

We don't want to trade Glencross. Other teams want to trade FOR Glencross.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
BVicious, my response is very simple. I don't think we have a top line. I think we have 3 equal lines that will all play equal depending on which line is hotter. But I totally agree with you, Curtis is not a top line player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not a lot of time left on his contract, we have an abundance of wingers.
If he could bring back a decent prospect or good pick; why not? Still have a veteran core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad