Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
It's just the way it is. There are some fanbases where the Leafs (or the fanbase) are less hated, but it is a pretty common 'opinion' to just hate us.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's just the way it is. There are some fanbases where the Leafs (or the fanbase) are less hated, but it is a pretty common 'opinion' to just hate us.

You'll get those gems from Sharks fans or something saying stuff like "urgh typical Leaf, that's why I can't stand them." As if we weren't on opposite sides of the continent or have played more than one playoff series against each other in 25 years.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Assume for the moment that all fan bases have more or less the same percentage of sphincters. That means there are more Leafs sphincters than any other sort, by far. On this site, there are more posts on the Leafs board than on the entire Central Division, minus the Jets. Moreover our jerks and idiots are not only numerous but notable. We seem to stand out like a Jake Gardiner defensive gaffe in game seven! Our idiots are noticed. Then a certain kind of fan of the other teams generalizes from the minority.

There are certain memes those guys fall into. I am either the longest term Leafs fan here or pretty close to it. I can’t recall Leaf fans ever talking about a parade in July, except in joking self mockery. But when we Leafs fans express optimism, even reasonable optimism, it’s “plan the parade!”

This should be stickied.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
its funny a lot of my buddies used to make fun of me for liking the leafs, now the tide has turned and they cant stand it!, I love it.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
its funny a lot of my buddies used to make fun of me for liking the leafs, now the tide has turned and they cant stand it!, I love it.
I was in the store the other day and I had my Leafs hat on and some jackwagon called me a bandwagoner insinuating that I only bought the hat after Tavares signed lol. The guy was wearing a Vegas hat....

Yeah we have a lot of asshats because of the sheer amount of fans we have but we seem to bring out the asshats from every single other fanbase when it comes to the Leafs so it evens out on my end loll

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
2009/2010/2011 did it for me. When the toronto media and to an extent their fans were looking for different ways to crucify the Canucks just because they were the closest chance for Canada to win the cup. Segments on CBC assassinating Burrow's character, segments on CBC asking is the Canucks really Canada's team or is Boston Canada's team. So there's that 2 way street. There's also Brian Burke. So to an extent I'm less anti Leafs, and more anti Flames now.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
2009/2010/2011 did it for me. When the toronto media and to an extent their fans were looking for different ways to crucify the Canucks just because they were the closest chance for Canada to win the cup. Segments on CBC assassinating Burrow's character, segments on CBC asking is the Canucks really Canada's team or is Boston Canada's team. So there's that 2 way street. There's also Brian Burke. So to an extent I'm less anti Leafs, and more anti Flames now.
It's interesting with perpectives on this. I watch that entire final between the Canucks and Bruins and CBC was ridiculously biased for the Canucks.
If you think CBC just hates the Canucks you guys are on the wacky tabaky. I have no idea where that comes from.
The Leafs played Boston this year and all the Toronto media could do is talk about 2013. That is how they do things.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Same reason I hate the guy who drives one of these down my road every Thursday night to the classic car show.

1971_Plymouth_Road_Runner_fastest-muscle-cars.jpg

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You'll get those gems from Sharks fans or something saying stuff like "urgh typical Leaf, that's why I can't stand them." As if we weren't on opposite sides of the continent or have played more than one playoff series against each other in 25 years.

It's been longer since the Leafs played the Canadiens in a playoff series and Leaf fans still bitterly hate the Canadiens and pretend its a great rivalry.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If you travel through Canada you'll meet people from Winnipeg who will tell you how terrible Toronto is as a city and how superior Winnipeg is. LOL.
People are told to hate all things Toronto. They are brainwashed by their local media.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
Same reason I hate the guy who drives one of these down my road every Thursday night to the classic car show.

1971_Plymouth_Road_Runner_fastest-muscle-cars.jpg

I'd love a Nokia phone like that too, and a slick holster. One day.

---

It's easy to hate the Leafs solely because of the media attention they get. And they focus on Toronto players overwhelmingly - especially the skilled ones - and a bit on the other Canadian teams. And nothing on the rest of the league unless they are playing in Toronto or Canada. Exceptions being great team Canada players of course.

Leafs are at the center of that universe.

And it shows

In this board, the fan base is enormous and even if a small percentage are obnoxious, arrogant, it carries a reputation.

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
As an Isles fan (I'm on team Tavares -one of the few), there is a lot of ill-will on Long Island (aimed at JT, Leafs, fans) ranging from losses, injury, waking up with wet bed sheets. Even worse.

I've always liked the Leafs as well but this is the first great Leafs team I've seen in my lifetime. I know they haven't done anything yet, but like the Jets last year, the "on-paper" is pretty fantastic.

Reactions: Cobra777

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's been longer since the Leafs played the Canadiens in a playoff series and Leaf fans still bitterly hate the Canadiens and pretend its a great rivalry.

The strongest emotion I can personally muster up towards the Montreal Canadiens is pity.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The strongest emotion I can personally muster up towards the Montreal Canadiens is pity.
I have spent my whole life being tormented by Habs fans. They had no problems kicking Leaf fans when they were down.
The chicken have come home to roost. The bigger the slaughter the better.
The love for the Habs must be expunged. It is like a cancer. Be vigilant. Those fans must be removed from the public square because they are evil. They would contaminate your children.
Don't pitty them because behind their smile, they hate you.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When someone asks me who my favorite baseball team is, I tell them the Yankees. And I'll shoot my mouth off about how they're the best and their team sucks. I'll start telling them about great Yankee players of the past, moments of players, etc. Only one thing, I have never followed a lick of baseball and don't care. I honestly don't know of a single baseball player that ever played for them. I act like a lot of Hab fans, not actually liking 'my team', but just using it as an excuse to torment other team's fans.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
They don’t like us?

Never asked. Never cared.

But in fairness, I never grew up stuck to a phone with make believe friends.

giphy.gif

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
I lived in Winnipeg my first 26 years, Toronto my next 41 years, and Calgary my last 5. There is a 1 in 240 statistical chance of any 2 given teams meeting in the Stanley Cup Finals. Given the talent on the Leafs and the Jets I like my chances of beating those odds this year. Go Leafs. Go Jets. Give an old man the most exciting playoffs of his lifetime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad