Why does everybody hate the Leafs?

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
The team has been the laughing stock of the NHL for a decade recently, I get that. But as soon as things start getting better, everybody just brings out rabid hate. I don’t think even MTL or OTT fans hate Toronto as much as some other fans do. Just look at the main board on these forums. Matthews is never given enough credit, McDavid is on a whole other level than him, and the Leafs in general are just lucky and taking advantage of teams having bad seasons. All Leafs prospects are overrated.

Even the damn NHL has no respect for this city or franchise which they’ve shown simply by giving it f*** all for it’s centennial year.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
For the most part...

1) Largest fanbase, unfortunately this comes with a shitload of obnoxious morons.
2) Media. They focus on the Leafs because we are where their bread is buttered and fans elsewhere in Canada just can't wrap their head around it.

The haters on this site take it to a new level tho. I've seen f***head Edmonton and Winnipeg fans all gleeful over Matthews being injured. Pathetic losers.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We are the largest and easiest fan base to troll. You want a bunch of replies make a post trashing or praising the Leafs.

I don’t think most people hate the Leafs, they just hate some of our fans. I’m from Montréal and I have many friends who are life long Canadians fans and they almost all say the same thing. We’re a fun and exciting team to watch but some of our fans are completely obnoxious. It’s magnified even more on a message board.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
people liked when they could laugh at us, and they don't like it now that we're good and are dishing it back out. they get dug in and spiteful, and it's extremely funny. There are plenty of other fanbases who are more obnoxious than us. If Edmonton were actually good this year we'd see it from them

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
people liked when they could laugh at us, and they don't like it now that we're good and are dishing it back out. they get dug in and spiteful, and it's extremely funny. There are plenty of other fanbases who are more obnoxious than us. If Edmonton were actually good this year we'd see it from them
Lots of Winnipeg fans have been unbearable on this site over the last 2 years.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lots of Winnipeg fans have been unbearable on this site over the last 2 years.
I agree. When Matthews was clear cut ahead of Laine this year there was respectful silence (mostly) from Leafs fans. Now that Laine is hot and Matthews is hurt, all they want to do is compare them. They're obnoxious as hell. I was pretty happy when they got their team back, but they're so annoying

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's hilarious how every other canadian fanbase jumps on the main board in groves to post up dick-measuring contest threads regarding their team and the Leafs. All it takes is one hot-streak from some other young player around the league before you see a poll on the mainboards with said player in a poll against whatever Leafs player gets thrown into it.

We are literally the only fanbase on HF who have extremely active posters who are 100% completely dedicated to hating on the Leafs with every post.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I agree. When Matthews was clear cut ahead of Laine this year there was respectful silence (mostly) from Leafs fans. Now that Laine is hot and Matthews is hurt, all they want to do is compare them. They're obnoxious as hell. I was pretty happy when they got their team back, but they're so annoying
Yeah I get what you mean. I had a poster go ballistic on me for saying that Laine shooting 50% is unsustainable. Honestly ridiculous stuff.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember last year when Laine got his concussion their fans said his PPG would have been this had he played all 82 games, he would have scored 40 goals and won the Calder instead. Today if Leafs fans try and say the same thing about Matthews stats this season if he was never hurt they act like why would we dare and say anything like that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is one more thing I find hypocritical of fans of other teams when they talk about the Leafs.

Last season they said how the Leafs were lucky with having very few injuries to their players and it's why they made the playoffs. Excuse us for having a young team that was mostly healthy with Marner and Rielly missing at least 5 or more games when they had various injuries and Andersen missed 1 start after getting hit in the head in Buffalo. That's one thing they can not use an excuse for this seasons Leafs team.

Plus they mention how the Leafs just made the playoffs. While it's true they had 1 more point than the Islanders and Lightning, what they never admit is how the Leafs were tied in points with the Bruins. The only reason Toronto was the 2nd Wild Card team and Boston got 3rd in the Atlantic is because they got more ROW wins, even though Toronto defeated them in the regular season each time going 4-0-0. So why did no one say Boston also just made the playoffs since they still had the same amount of points as Toronto.

Reactions: Lebanese Leaf

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Bias plays a big role aswell, Leafs fans think there players are better then they are and when others don't agree it's generally seen as trolling/hate and it's the same the other way aswell fans of other teams think there players are better then they are. I mean look at ur post you say that McDavid basically isn't on a different level then Matthews, but he clearly is just like how Crosby was on another level then Datsyuk/Kopitar/Toews/Backstrom etc. these are all great players but not on Crosby's level. McDavid is 16 points with 14 games remaining(current PPG pace gives him 17 in those 14 games) from breaking 100 points in back to back season's while Matthews is yet to break 70 that's another level.

Reactions: hotpaws

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid is 16 points with 14 games remaining(current PPG pace gives him 17 in those 14 games) from breaking 100 points in back to back season's while Matthews is yet to break 70 that's another level.
Even though Matthews was 1 point away from 70 for last season, I think others use that as an excuse to keep putting him down. He still got 40 goals as a rookie and not even Sidney Crosby did that. Let's say he did get 70 points my feeling is others would say why didn't he get 80 points? So in the end there is no winning when it comes to that.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Apparently it was because when we sucked we had too much media exposure and now the we are good it is too much media exposure. Can't win.
The new narrative is that we have so many fans we control the narrative. Learn to love it I guess.

Reactions: Mork

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm surprised no one has mentioned every Vancouver Canucks fans favorite complaint about the Leafs. Whenever they play them in Vancouver on a Saturday night it's the Leafs who request the game starts at 4:00 PM PST, so it can start at 7:00 PM EST back in Toronto. The truth is that request was made by CBC and now Rogers for the game to start at that time. I mean really how can the Leafs control the start time to a building they don't even play in?

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I think the obnoxious fans idea is just an excuse really. The leafs were pretty much universally despised well before obnoxious posters were proclaiming Matthews equal to McDavid. It's kind of a trendy thing for people to do, there's probably people posting disdainfully on their very own boards about this thread even though this seems like an attempt to remedy the situation.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
On this forum it's our fans that attract the hate.

Even when we were the laughing stock of the NHL our fans used to run to the main boards looking for praise.

Also people know it easy to bait many of our fans and love to do it for entertainment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->