Why didn't Lindros want to play in Quebec?

cujoflutie

Does Colorado win any cups if they don't have Forsberg, if they don't get Roy (who was acquired using a piece from the Lindros trade)?

What interests me is the possibility of Lindros playing with Sundin on his wing had he stuck with Quebec. Maybe they do win the cup with those two as well as Sakic and Foote. But then, who do they bring in as goaltender? Perhaps they make a play for Hextall.

Would Quebec have traded Sundin? Not likely, considering they made the move to acquire Wendel Clark to add an element of grit that Lindros would have been able to match.

The whole thing just stinks of what ifs and it really is a shame we never got to see what could have been.

The nords did have hextall (got him in the lindros deal), they moved him after a year to give Fiset a chance. I don't think a 1996 Ron Hextall would have won the cup, he looked very mediocre against Florida in that playoff (whom Roy dominated to win a cup). That detroit team the Avs beat to get to the cup was awfully good, hard to imagine downgrading the Avs team much and them still winning.

The sundin aspect is interesting; he was a C/RW at that point in his career and with Sakic there I kind of think Sundin would have stuck to wing if Lindros stayed.

I wonder if it would have been enough to save the franchise or at least keep it in Quebec longer? While they may not have won the cup I do think the remaining nordique teams would have been better with Lindros (they played 4 more years in Quebec after drafting him and 3 after the trade).

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I wonder if it would have been enough to save the franchise or at least keep it in Quebec longer? While they may not have won the cup I do think the remaining nordique teams would have been better with Lindros (they played 4 more years in Quebec after drafting him and 3 after the trade).

I think, like Winnipeg, the building became outdated and could not support increasing salaries, etc...Never mind what a player like Lindros would have commanded for a salary.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Can you blame him though?

Imagine that you had the next big thing in computers, it is the ebst thing in the world coming out.

But instead of selling it to Google, Microsoft whomever you are told that you have to work at the Canada Research Council in NWT on salary, sure see lots of people buying into that lifestyle eh?

Then comes the "I would give my left arm to be in Eric's shoes, hockey is a dream argument"

How many lockouts by the owners and people still don't understand it's a BUSINESS.

Absolutely you blame him.

This wasn't some veteran player wanting to test the open market, or wanting to finish his career with a shot at a Cup. This was an 18 year old kid with a big enough ego he was already placing his "brand" ahead of the game. How many other 1st overall picks have pulled the same stunt? The fact that he did what he did tells us how big his ego was compared to all the others. So yes, you blame him.

For the record, I like Lindros. I don't necessarily hold it against him and I'm not one of those who try to take away from him as a player just because of what he did. And technically, when I say that yes you blame "him", it's actually his parents, for the most part.

cujoflutie

Does Colorado win any cups if they don't have Forsberg, if they don't get Roy (who was acquired using a piece from the Lindros trade)?

What interests me is the possibility of Lindros playing with Sundin on his wing had he stuck with Quebec. Maybe they do win the cup with those two as well as Sakic and Foote. But then, who do they bring in as goaltender? Perhaps they make a play for Hextall.

Would Quebec have traded Sundin? Not likely, considering they made the move to acquire Wendel Clark to add an element of grit that Lindros would have been able to match.

The whole thing just stinks of what ifs and it really is a shame we never got to see what could have been.

After hearing Bobby Clarke's overall comments after Lindros' career ended, I kind of have to agree with you. (and I liked Lindros during his career and hated Clarke)

Clarke said Lindros deserves to be in the HHOF. He blames the negatives on his parents. He felt the parents tried too hard to orchestrate the boys career. He feels Lindros would have had a much better career if his parents left him alone and let him play. And it is a logical train of thought to say it's silly to have a millionare professional still babied by his parents instead of making decisions for themselves.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
For the record, I like Lindros. I don't necessarily hold it against him and I'm not one of those who try to take away from him as a player just because of what he did. And technically, when I say that yes you blame "him", it's actually his parents, for the most part.

Ya, Id kinda like to reel this in a bit & put into the proper context & setting, the time & era.... Lindros was absolutely hyped as "The Next One" and the kid delivered. An absolute Monster out there. Size, speed, skilled and seemingly matured beyond his years, had Scouts absolutely Drooling. It wasnt a case of some wannabe believing his own press. He was a product of his generation just as Bonnie & Carl Lindros were products of theirs who questioned everything...

So heres this Wunderkind, exactly the Life Saver Quebec City needed at that time, Franchise Player, and he & his family, from English Toronto of all the worst possible places rejects his selection by the Diques as 1st Pick. Like a stake through the heart to Quebec. Last nail in the coffin. So he's vilified, crucified, all thats wrong with the game & what it had become, a lightning rod for disenfranchised Quebecers' who for decades felt snubbed & disrespected by English Canada, its Capital Toronto & here this kid was throwing kerosene on the bonfire.

Quebec (along with Edmonton, Winnipeg & Hartford) had been made to feel about as welcome in the NHL as a Postman at a Dog Show & to really ramp it up you had the Distinct Society & Language Issues. The writing was on the wall & believe you me they knew it, smelled it in Quebec, in Winnipeg & eventually Hartford. Edmonton very nearly sold to Les Alexander in Houston mid-90's. Literally 15 minutes away from taking flight. Look, Bonnie & Carl Lindros were/are upper middle class Torontonians who were looking out for "The Next One", an absolutely sure bet sure thing cant miss Superstar & wanted what was best for the kid. Indeed, using Erics' train to haul brother Brett's career along the same track albeit not exactly the same 5 Star Pullman as his older brothers wealth & luxury of skills but enough to get him to The Show.

So, who are we, 25yrs later to say that if we were a close knit, well educated family who had a son with the same talents that we wouldnt have done exactly the same thing that Bonnie & Carl did? Career window could be 5yrs, 10 or 15yrs. Amongst their generation within that very specific culture of Toronto bringing up kids in the late 70's through the 80's what they did, how they reacted & responded was perfectly normal, understandable. Number One Son blessed with once in a generation of talents who was absolutely HUGE to boot; Number Two Son... not so much, but not exactly chopped liver either. These are your kids, and though it may be old fashioned or European in nature, the protection of ones children, looking out for their best interests doesnt stop at 18 or 21. It is literally from cradle to grave.

Now, I was living in Toronto at that time and like everyone interested in hockey followed it in the Toronto Star & elsewhere as the kid after all was one of our own. I was also privy to much that wasnt ever made public through business associates directly involved in not only Eric's situation but so too Brett's. Yes, the Lindros clan is very close, that is not a crime, its something to be admired. Did they or did the NHL punch Quebec City in the nose as did Frank Selke & the Montreal Canadiens when they couldnt get their hands on Jean Beliveau? As they did even more recently in refusing to put an end to the misery in Arizona & sell the Coyotes to Pierre Karl Peladeau? The Lindros clan was not the first nor the last & given the time, that era, the culture, what the Draft had become, the huge $$$, Kenny Linesmans challenge pursuant to age of eligibility, the WHA (long knives with longer memories & enmities still alive through the 80's & 90's) etc, just a perfect storm. Very interesting situation. Touched on so many different levels be it the business of the game, societal issues etc. No ones perfect, we all live in glass houses so no point in throwing stones at Eric, Brett, his parents. Empathize. Understand.... not hard to understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Eric Lindros paid the price with concussion karma.
You can't hide from the hockey Gods.
Yeah, right.

How did that Karma thing work out for John Elway when he said there was no way he was going to Indianapolis- and made plans to report to the Yankees after the Colts picked him first overall?!?

Bill James is right- Karma is a bulldump.

[Unless, of course, Hockey Gods are possessed of some mystical abilities denied to the Football Gods- perhaps having sacrificed the prospect of widespread popularity in return for more immediate temporal on-ice superpowers...:shakehead]

Reactions: DaveG and mmvvpp

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Baltimore Colts

Yeah, right.

How did that Karma thing work out for John Elway when he said there was no way he was going to Indianapolis- and made plans to report to the Yankees after the Colts picked him first overall?!?

Bill James is right- Karma is a bulldump.

[Unless, of course, Hockey Gods are possessed of some mystical abilities denied to the Football Gods- perhaps having sacrificed the prospect of widespread popularity in return for more immediate temporal on-ice superpowers...:shakehead]

Except John Elway was drafted by the NFL Baltimore Colts in 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_NFL_Draft

Colts moved to Indianapolis in 1984. No impact on the Elway situation.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Uh.......... Your seriously confused. Gretzky signed with the WHA as a 17 year old before being draft elgiable, and then very complex arrangements allowed him to stay on WHA franchise instead of entering the draft. Gretzky was arguably the most hyped player ever.

I may have gotten the events confused but Gretzky was not the most hyped player ever. I recall the sensation around Lemieux and the talk was that he was the most highly touted draft pick since Lafleur. Gretzky was certainly celebrated as an amateur and pee wee star, but not many thought he could make it an an NHL level, except for a few like Sam Pollock.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hard to say but you have to wonder how his career would have turned out had he stayed there. Would he have won a Cup with the Quebec/Colorado team?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Average canadian working in Vancouver made in 1975 made 6500 dollars. Average home cost 78000 dollars. This is all based on fact by the bc realest state board. Imagine what a hockey player could afford making 150 000 a year

Last edited by a moderator:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Average canadian working in Vancouver made in 1975 made 6500 dollars.Average home cost 78000 dollars.This is all based on fact by the bc realest state board.Imagine what a hockey player could afford making 150 000 a year

But we are not talking about any average citizens here. We're talking about a family that was in a position to secure their future in a landscape where players did not earn as much as today. Sure we can be jelous about it, but that will not do us much good.

Last edited by a moderator:

bibitte2

Nov 28, 2013
Lindros...i love to hate him

Real champions make winning teams, they dont decide to go to on an easy market....not a real leader in my opinion....never won the cup !!!

I have a souvenir from him.....at least i have a signed contract of him in Québec....but from the Quebec Pee Wee international tournament ....at least he signed for Quebec once lol

Grohlyone

Sep 1, 2012
Barrie, ON
Ya, called Fire on Ice, and the explanation they gave for refusing to allow Eric to report to the Sault was all about "education". They wanted Eric to finish High School & go on to University, however, SSM didnt then nor does it now have a University, in addition to which the team itself, its philosophies at that time (and to this day is the case with most Major Jr clubs) was that hockey came first, education second. In other words, more than likely the kid wouldnt even finish HS if he played for Sault Ste Marie. The OHA actually changed their Draft Rules, permitting teams to trade their #1 picks as a result of Lindro's refusal to report after being selected.... as far as Quebec is concerned, apparently Bonnie Lindros didnt think the franchise was stable (as mentioned earlier) and secondly, was small market (which it was & still is) and would limit his marketability & sponsorship opportunities.

Just to clarify, we do have a university :nod:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Just to clarify, we do have a university :nod:

Aha. My mistake. I read that in a Lindros bio & just assumed it was correct. Looked it up, Algoma University College, which was associated or affiliated with Laurentian in Sudbury from 67-08.... so if the the Sault did have (does have) a university, then who the heck knows? Maybe the Lindros clan didnt feel Algoma was up to snuff? Just no idea. But I do know one of the main reasons they gave for Eric not reporting to SSM was because of its lack (or lacking thereof) of educational facilities. I suspect as well they wanted him playing a lot closer to home turf and nearer to Toronto.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
In spite of Killion's excellent history lesson and attempt to add some real sense to it all, Eric Lindros, throughout his career, showed himself to be the kind of athlete that put himself ahead of his team. Not stepping up when his name was called was one of the most classless things I've ever seen.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
In spite of Killion's excellent history lesson and attempt to add some real sense to it all, Eric Lindros, throughout his career, showed himself to be the kind of athlete that put himself ahead of his team. Not stepping up when his name was called was one of the most classless things I've ever seen.

He did step up though, and Colorado won two cups becouse of it.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Gretzky was overlooked and dismissed by so many great hockey minds (he went undrafted) that he ended up signing his first professional contract for the Indianapolis Racers, a team that folded shortly after he pulled on the uniform. This team and many of the WHA's American franchises, were quickly collapsing. So Gretzky did not have the power Lindros had. Ironically, Lindros likely benefited from Gretzky's trade back to the US as hockey and salaries began to rise in popularity and growth.

At 17, Gretzky wasn't yet draft eligible though. The draft age at the time was 20 (although for the 1979 Entry Draft - formerly the Amateur Draft - it was lowered to 18)/

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Except John Elway was drafted by the NFL Baltimore Colts in 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_NFL_Draft

Colts moved to Indianapolis in 1984. No impact on the Elway situation.

Either way he didn't go to the Colts like Lindros. Same thing with Eli Manning and both have fruitful careers and Championships so to say karma means it works in one sport but not the other

Reactions: DaveG

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Daddy Carl didn't want him to. Years later, Brett also said he wouldn't have reported to Quebec.

It wasn't the language, Eric would have played in Montreal.
The parents, and the agent were way too involved...made him the player look real bad in most people's eyes...
Also happened to Mario back in the day, he didn't want to go to the Pens...doesn't seem to get talked about much though...

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The parents, and the agent were way too involved...made him the player look real bad in most people's eyes...
Also happened to Mario back in the day, he didn't want to go to the Pens...doesn't seem to get talked about much though...

Marios problem was with the money the Pens were offering him, nothing else.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The Lindros's had reputations for negotiating like the Russians.They never gave an inch, ever.They were unreasonably stubborn, even over small points that would have helped to create some goodwill and wouldn't have cost them in any material way.
Erik Lindrov?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
From Eric Lindros during his press conference upon arrival in Philadelphia:

“I’m sorry it didn’t work out. It had nothing to do with Quebec. I was concerned with the ownership and its lack of winning spirit.”

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Here you go Chief Wiggum.... thread started several years ago..... carry on here....

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
imagine Lindros and Nolan on the same line. That would have been scary. If Nords wanted to be really nasty, throw in Chris SImon as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad