why did w give up on Eric Staal ?? he has 21 goals this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
the next year after he left us he played in all 82 games and scored 28 goals with 37 assists for 65 points...this year in 50 games so far he has 21 goals with 23 assists ...anyone who disagrees with me has no brains plain and simple...he is better than any of our weaklings on our team...Gorton our GM is a buffoon
The mistake jg made was not selling at the deadline (yandle) but trading away 2 seconds and saarela for staal. Those two seconds would prob be some of the top prospects in our org currently, as well as sareela who would prob be the 5th best prospect we have. Finally we would of prob traded our second last year for Smith so we would still have ottawa's pick this year giving us a top 40 pick.

Last edited:

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
I think the more relevant question here is why did he suck with us? OP is clearly not interested in discussion though so why bother asking?
It never felt like he was a good fit here in terms of positions. Stepan and Brass were the undisputed number one and two centers here and hayes was emerging, so our brilliant coach put him on the third line wing with Hayes iirc. Paying two seconds and a good prospect for a third line winger was idiotic. Minny has moved him to his natural position and look now

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I think the more relevant question here is why did he suck with us? OP is clearly not interested in discussion though so why bother asking?
he sucked with us because he was playing injured...after a full off season he promptly played in all 82 games for the Wild scoring 28 goals with 37 assists...this season he has 21 goals in 50 games...our goofy GM just let him walk away...a big center who can win face offs and score over 20 goals and our GM just lets him walk and gives us a scrub like McCleod instead...then trades Hagelin for a taxi driver

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
he sucked with us because he was playing injured...after a full off season he promptly played in all 82 games for the Wild scoring 28 goals with 37 assists...this season he has 21 goals in 50 games...our goofy GM just let him walk away...a big center who can win face offs and score over 20 goals and our GM just lets him walk and gives us a scrub like McCleod instead...then trades Hagelin for a taxi driver
A. The sequence here is completely wrong
B. There's a thing called a salary cap we couldn't afford to keep hags and we did get a decent enough return for him (a second and a reclamation project) just sucks we used that second on gropp instead of sprong dunn or a couple other guys that were available
Also Staal wasn't injured he just wasn't a good fit with this team, he prob woulda sucked here last year if we resigned him

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
the next year after he left us he played in all 82 games and scored 28 goals with 37 assists for 65 points...this year in 50 games so far he has 21 goals with 23 assists ...anyone who disagrees with me has no brains plain and simple...he is better than any of our weaklings on our team...Gorton our GM is a buffoon
Eric Staal was just a rental here (he played what, 25-30'ish games ?). He didn't seem to be very good with us, though some of that can undoubtedly also be thrown at the feet of AV for his usage of him (here he was mostly on the third line if i recall). If he was "injured", i blame him ENTIRELY as he should never have gotten traded to us in the first place.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
jeff gorton is beginning to look like Milbury and Maloney from the Islanders 90's era...he is that bad...literally the worst GM in the NHL right now..totally clueless

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I know all about the salary cap...Hagelin should not have been the victim in the salary dump...he was our most important forward during the 14 and 15 playoff runs....someone else should of been the salary dump victim like competent GM do...and yes Eric Staal was playing thru injuries...you NEVER ever give up on a big center EVER who can win faceoffs and score and be a big body...if you don't believe me just look at his stats on the Wild

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
I know all about the salary cap...Hagelin should not have been the victim in the salary dump...he was our most important forward during the 14 and 15 playoff runs....someone else should of been the salary dump victim like competent GM do...and yes Eric Staal was playing thru injuries...you NEVER ever give up on a big center EVER who can win faceoffs and score and be a big body...if you don't believe me just look at his stats on the Wild
We didn't play him as a center so that point is moot
Also calling JG the modern day Mike Millbury is just idiotic. Pierre Dorrion and Ken Holland say hello

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
J.G gets too much flack imo
Only moves I have not agreed with were staal and smith. What he does at this deadline will make or break his tenure here.

Reactions: bl02

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
Now that's just ridiculous. Sather made so many horrible moves it's not even funny.
not really...he built us a team that from 2012 to 2015 made some big big playoff runs...if we didn't get screwed by the NHL refs in the game 2 of the SC finals against the Kings we would of had a banner hanging in the rafters...and in 2015 we came within a goal in game 7 of reaching another final....now with Gorton at the helm we are going to become the Coyotes very soon

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
not really...he built us a team that from 2012 to 2015 made some big big playoff runs...if we didn't get screwed by the NHL refs in the game 2 of the SC finals against the Kings we would of had a banner hanging in the rafters...and in 2015 we came within a goal in game 7 of reaching another final....now with Gorton at the helm we are going to become the Coyotes very soon
I know right it was totally Gortons fault we resigned Giradi and Staal to albatross deals while getting rid of Strallman for nothing

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
I know right it was totally Gortons fault we resigned Giradi and Staal to albatross deals while getting rid of Strallman for nothing
Girardi was a warrior for us who broke down over the punishing years of all those playoff runs and blocked shots...Staal was a stand out great defense man who took a puck to the eye in late 2013 and was never the same afterwards...they both deserved those contracts but injuries and wear and tear took their toll on both of them. not their fault and not Slats fault...an unfortunate injury that weakened Marc Staal

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why? Because this organization sucks at putting together hockey teams. We've established this.

They stumbled upon a well-oiled machine in 2014, almost by accident, and systematically dismantled it in almost impressive fashion every offseason since.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
That was one of the worst trades of the decade for us...resigning him would have been the biggest joke

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Girardi was a warrior for us who broke down over the punishing years of all those playoff runs and blocked shots...Staal was a stand out great defense man who took a puck to the eye in late 2013 and was never the same afterwards...they both deserved those contracts but injuries and wear and tear took their toll on both of them. not their fault and not Slats fault...an unfortunate injury that weakened Marc Staal
Excuses excuses. If he did not give those contracts this team would be in a much better positon

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That was one of the worst trades of the decade for us...resigning him would have been the biggest joke

It wasn't a bad trade at all. Two 2nd's and a prospect that doesn't look great right now.

I think people were just taking frustrations with the general direction of the team out on Staal.

The only case of poor asset management with this trade was not bringing him back.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Staal's injury was after the contract was given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad