Why can't Goodenow just understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Russian Fan said:
It's funny that you declare this not ''BALANCE'' when everyone claims the NFL is the BEST LEAGUE for balance & here are the final 4 appearance in the last 10 years

Pittsburgh 4
Philadelphia 3
New England 3 (2003,2001)
Green Bay 3 (1996)
Dallas 2 (1995)
San Francisco 2 (1994)
St-Louis 2 (1999)
Tampa Bay 2 (2002)
Oakland 2
Tennessee 2
Minnesota 2
Carolina 2
Jacksonville 2
Indianapolis 2
Baltimore 1 (2000)
Denver 1 (1998,1997)
NYGiants 1
Atlanta 1
NYJets 1
San Diego 1

20 NFL teams out of 30/32 made it to the FINAL FOUR
vs
20 NHL teams out of 30 made it to the FINAL FOUR

what does that tell you ? that's it's not a cap that gives you the competitive balance you wish for.

In the NFL here are those who didn't make it once in the final four in the last 10 years :

Arizona - They stink since ....forever
Buffalo - They had their glory just before that decade
Chicago - They had 1 good year in the last 10.
Cincinnati - They stink since ....forever
Detroit - They stink since ....forever
Kansas City - good team, never came to the final four
Miami - had good teams but never touch the final four.
New Orleans - Bad luck ?
Seattle - Just start to become something after more than a decade of suckiness
Washington - Tough management ?

In the NHL here are those who didn't make it once in the final four in the last 10 years :
Atlanta - EXPANSION TEAM
Boston - BAD MANAGEMENT & PROFITABILITY was a priority.
Columbus - EXPANSION TEAM
Edmonton - BAD MANAGEMENT !
Los Angeles - Since 1993 nothing came close.
Montréal - BAD MANAGEMENT !
Nashville - EXPANSION TEAM
NYIslanders - BAD MANAGEMENT !
Phoenix - BAD MANAGEMENT !
Vancouver - Just start to click for the last 2-3 years.

Now what are the difference between the NFL or the NHL? NOTHING !!!! They are both COMPETITIVE & saying otherwise is pure blindness.
Do you dream this stuff up in your sleep? :shakehead

If an NFL team can't make the postseason it is directly the fault of management...the same cannot be said about the NHL right now.to say Edmonton,Montreal and others suck because of bad management is crazy! fact is they simply don't have the funds to keep the stars that they developed or can't afford to sign any.

How good would the Oilers be today if they had Weight,Guerin and Joseph in the lineup? i suspect a betting man would predict at least a lock for a playoff spot instead of fighting for the last 2 spots.
This years Flames finally got into the playoffs after 7 years because the young players came together and two star players played like gods....under the current CBA,a team like the Flames will lose half of their core in the next 3 years because of salaries and be right back to the "rebuilding" stage.

Your posts only prove one thing...your a fan of a large market team and could care less about having a strong league for the future!!

YellHockey*

T@T said:
If an NFL team can't make the postseason it is directly the fault of management...the same cannot be said about the NHL right now.to say Edmonton,Montreal and others suck because of bad management is crazy! fact is they simply don't have the funds to keep the stars that they developed or can't afford to sign any.

That's garbage. Montreal is the second biggest hockey market in Canada and the third biggest just announced they've made $45m over the past two years. They can keep any stars they want. They've just got to start producing some besides Theodore.

As for Edmonton, how can any team with as bad a record at drafting as the Oilers had in the 90's be successful under any CBA? Colorado has gotten rid of more talent then Edmonton has but they 've been successful because they've been able to draft great players.

Ottawa has been able to be successful while in a market the same size as Edmonton. Why have they been able to do it? Because instead of drafting Michel Riesen and Jani Rita, they drafted Hossa and Havlat.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
PecaFan said:
That's a lovely sounding stat, but it's completely worthless. "Final 4" sounds so important, yet it only means you've won two playoff rounds. *Halfway* to the Cup. Getting halfway to the Cup once in 10 years is "competitive"? Hardly.

The actual number of final four appearances:
Col 6 (two Cups)
Det 5 (three Cups)
NJD 4 (three Cups)
Phi 4
Dal 3 (one Cup)

Buf 2
Pit 2
Tor 2

Ana 1
Cgy 1
Car 1
Chi 1
Fla 1
Min 1
NYR 1
Ott 1
Stl 1
SJS 1
Tam 1 (one Cup)
Wsh 1

Atl 0
Bos 0
CBJ 0
Edm 0
LAK 0
Mtl 0
Nsh 0
NYI 0
Phx 0
Van 0

I defy anyone to look at that list and say this league is "balanced" and has parity the last 10 years. That's a league *dominated* by five teams, with a couple also rans.

So instead of a few really good teams, lets have 30 Anaheim's and Carolina's. One team wins every year not because they are the best, but because someone has to.

The Stanley Cup is the most important sports trophy because of its history. If you allow a bunch of unworhty teams win it every year through an artificial system, that history is devalued. Look at the SuperBowl. Is Tampa Bay of 2002 as good as the 49'ers of 1982? No way, but 100 years from now, people will look at the SuperBowl winners and conclude they were.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
hunter1909 said:
ok morons...im going to make this real simple even for you...

unless the oilers can compete with the devs avs and old wings...

i hope they blow up rexall place and disband the franchise...

id rather turn to another sport...rather than watch my team tread water forever...

i wouldnt be shocked if 10 fleeble nhl teams go bust...why shouldnt they they have no fan base its just a hoax 30 team league...

i blame janet gretzky for this mess

This was simple? What are you trying to say?

All I can say is, turn to another sport then. I watch hockey because I love the game, not just to cheer on my favorite team. My team was drowning for 7 years and it managed to become competetive. Get rid of the Oilers, means more lottery money for the Flames.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
T@T said:
Do you dream this stuff up in your sleep? :shakehead

How good would the Oilers be today if they had Weight,Guerin and Joseph in the lineup? i suspect a betting man would predict at least a lock for a playoff spot instead of fighting for the last 2 spots.

How about a small market team like Ottawa? Or Minnesota (by the way, Minnesota is making a profit of 20mil a year, they do have the money, but choose to operate in a frugal mode) ? If they can be successful, why can't Edmonton?

And I do not think you can call Montreal a "small market team".

Oilers, Flames and Montreal all suffered from bad management for a number of years. More so in case of Montreal, as they do have more money than the other two teams. But both Montreal and Calgary are improving, and did well in the last playoffs. Oilers should be able to do the same.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Russian Fan said:
It's funny that you declare this not ''BALANCE'' when everyone claims the NFL is the BEST LEAGUE for balance & here are the final 4 appearance in the last 10 years

Now what are the difference between the NFL or the NHL? NOTHING !!!! They are both COMPETITIVE & saying otherwise is pure blindness.

Those lists are *nowhere* even close to comparable.

First off, as bruwinz said, way more NHL teams make the playoffs than the NFL. Secondly, that NHL list *way* more spread out than the NHL. 13 teams have either 2 or 3 appearances, as opposed to *four* NHL teams. Or put another way, almost twice as many NFL teams managed it at least twice as opposed to the NHL, despite there being less spots.

Finally, the concept of "final four" doesn't match across leagues. In the NHL, final four means half way to winning the Cup. In the NFL, that's only true for wild card teams, a division winner only has to win one game, and they make the final four.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Russian Fan said:

It's funny how you can look at things so clearly and yet come up with such a strange answer.

The example of the NHL shows that wealthier teams have the edge.

The example of the NFL show that skilled coaching, good drafting, and great players will give you the edge.

Other examples would be the Oilers, Islanders and Habs.

See how simple it is? There will always be teams that suck because they don't have the where withal to manage the franchise properly (see the Vancouver Canucks). In the opposite corner you will have teams like the Devils, who can succeed against all odds by constantly hitting the right notes.

Evening out the financial field won't make every team equally successful, and dynasties will still develop. The just won't be limited to the richest teams. Which is great for all hockey fans, because Edmonton or Nashville fans can always know they stand a chance given the right coaching, drafting and team systems.

If hockey never becomes popular in some of the southern markets, then no problem. Cost certainty would allow other Canadian cities to get back into the league again.

The thing you seem to ignore the most is actually being realistic about the future given how player salaries have inflated in recent years. Last year was somewhat of an anomaly in that the looming lockout made teams behave other than they normally would have.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
quat said:
It's funny how you can look at things so clearly and yet come up with such a strange answer.

The example of the NHL shows that wealthier teams have the edge.

The example of the NFL show that skilled coaching, good drafting, and great players will give you the edge.

Other examples would be the Oilers, Islanders and Habs.

See how simple it is? There will always be teams that suck because they don't have the where withal to manage the franchise properly (see the Vancouver Canucks). In the opposite corner you will have teams like the Devils, who can succeed against all odds by constantly hitting the right notes.

Evening out the financial field won't make every team equally successful, and dynasties will still develop. The just won't be limited to the richest teams. Which is great for all hockey fans, because Edmonton or Nashville fans can always know they stand a chance given the right coaching, drafting and team systems.

If hockey never becomes popular in some of the southern markets, then no problem. Cost certainty would allow other Canadian cities to get back into the league again.

The thing you seem to ignore the most is actually being realistic about the future given how player salaries have inflated in recent years. Last year was somewhat of an anomaly in that the looming lockout made teams behave other than they normally would have.

Except that all of that coaching and management gets you 2-3 of contendership before your team is broken up in the NFL.

You mention the Isles, Habs and Oilers. How long do you think any of them could've stayed together under a cap? (and please don't lamely respond that the Oilers lost Gretzky anyway. That's not the question I asked.)

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
In the NHL, final four means half way to winning the Cup. .

AGAIN ..

i dont get this ... Final Four after almost 100 games and out of a field of 30 and you say its nothing ? its a hell of an achievment in the NHL. Again, what do you think would be fair ? One cup win per team every 30 years ? 30 different finalists every 15 years ? Im simplying pointing out that more than half the league was within striking distance of the holy grail in the last 10 years. What is it you think would be a fair representation ?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
only 1 team can win it. would you prefer a league where in in 15 seasons, each teams reachs the final once ?

dr

I wouldn't mind a league where a bottom half team has a decent chance of winning every few years. 10 zip before Tampa? 20 zip before Tampa? How many bottom half salary teams have won it in the last 30 years? Sure 2nd is close but close only counts in handgrenades. Its Stanley Cup 1 or Stanley Cup 0 at the end of the year for every team, you win it or you don't. Calgary don't get 1/2 a Stanley Cup for coming second. They don't hand out Stanley Cup-lites to the losers.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
I wouldn't mind a league where a bottom half team has a decent chance of winning every few years. 10 zip before Tampa? 20 zip before Tampa? How many bottom half salary teams have won it in the last 30 years? Sure 2nd is close but close only counts in handgrenades. Its Stanley Cup 1 or Stanley Cup 0 at the end of the year for every team, you win it or you don't. Calgary don't get 1/2 a Stanley Cup for coming second. They don't hand out Stanley Cup-lites to the losers.

what are you saying ? would you prefer a league where 30 teams win in 30 years ?

dr

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
what are you saying ? would you prefer a league where 30 teams win in 30 years ?

dr

No, just a league were payroll isn't a key player. Where brains triumphs over fiscal brawn. If someone can build a dynasty under a cap and win 5 straight cups then :bow: more power to them, because they've earned it.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
DementedReality said:
AGAIN ..

i dont get this ... Final Four after almost 100 games and out of a field of 30 and you say its nothing ? its a hell of an achievment in the NHL. Again, what do you think would be fair ? One cup win per team every 30 years ? 30 different finalists every 15 years ? Im simplying pointing out that more than half the league was within striking distance of the holy grail in the last 10 years. What is it you think would be a fair representation ?

What is really interesting is that even with the salaries going crazy, IMO the NHL is more competitive than before. That's right, more competitive. The old guard of Detroit, Colorado, NJ and Dallas don't look so invincible now. Now any number of teams can win. Sure, I want the NHL to be more balanced but I don't want every team to be the same. There is a difference between parity and equal terms of competitiveness. I think something should be done with salaries but in terms of the NHL and being competitive, I think it's better now. I remember in the 1980's where only a few select teams could win the cup. That increased a little in the 1990's and it's increasing even more in 2000's.

And as far as only a few teams winning the cup, ironically if you go back to the 1980's and before...few differing teams won the cup as compared to now. For example

1990 Edmonton beat Boston
1989 Calgary beat Montreal
1988 Edmonton beat Boston
1987 Edmonton beat Philadelphia
1986 Montreal beat Calgary
1985 Edmonton beat Philadelphia
1984 Edmonton beat NYI
1983 NYI beat Edmonton
1982 NYI beat Vancouver
1981 NYI beat Minnesota
1980 NYI beat Philadelphia
1979 Montreal beat someone. NYR or Boston