Why can't Goodenow just understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Van and NYR were in the last CBA, and outside the 10 year range you set. So now you've got 11 teams out of 30, just over 30%, nowhere near the "half the league" you're trying to paint. Just keep going back and back, you can probably get that number up to 90%.

And note that 5 teams are in the "1" final four appearance list, in 10 years making the finals once in a Cinderella run. Basically, for 75% of the league, the best they can hope for is a single run to the final four every 10 years.

And that's with almost zero chance of actually winning the thing.

Did you prefer it before the mid 90's, when most teams had the same or at least very similar payrolls ???

Take a look at competitive balance from 1971 to 1990.

The NHL was DOMINATED by the Bruins, Habs, Flyers, Isles and Oilers.

Sarting with the 1970-71 season:

Cup Wins
Montreal - 7
Edmonton - 5
New York Isles - 4
Philadelphia - 2
Calgary - 1
Boston - 1

Finals Appearances
Montreal - 8
Boston - 6
Philadelphia - 6
Edmonton - 6
New York Isles - 5
Chicago - 2
Calgary - 2
New York Rangers - 2
Buffalo - 1
Minnesota - 1
Vancouver - 1

Semi-finals
Montreal - 11
Philadelphia - 10
Chicago - 9
New York Isles - 9
Boston - 9
New York Rangers - 7
Edmonton - 6
Minnesota - 4
Calgary/Atlanta - 3
St. Louis - 2
Buffalo - 2
Quebec - 2
Detroit - 2
Toronto - 1
New Jersey/Colorado - 1
Washington - 1
Vancouver - 1

Teams that never made a Semi-Final appearance - Kings, Jets, Penguins and Whalers.

That's 12 of 21 teams that made 2 or less semi-finals appearances over a 20 year period (Not all teams were there for all 20 years, but all for at least 10).

The "Big 5" made up 77.5% of the Stanley Cup Finalists, and Edmonton and the Isles didn't even exist the entire 20 years.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruwinz20 said:
The one thing this post tells me is that you dont really have much of a clue about the NFL. Your post MIGHT have some validity if the same amount of teams made the playoffs in both leagues. Since they dont it is far more impressive that the NFL has had the same amount of teams reach the "final four" as the NHL in terms of parity.

Now take your pick: A) you dont really know what you are talking about or B) your last name is Goodenow.

I disagree there, and I'm an avid watcher of the NFL.

Just because the NHL has more teams make the playoffs 16 of 30 (53%) than 12 of 32 (37.5%) doesn't mean it's significantly tougher to make a Conference Titla game.

It's still 4 out of 30 vs. 4 out of 32 .... slightly tougher in the NFL, but only slightly.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
garry1221 said:
payroll shouldn't be a key player yet for the last decade it's been THE key in many cases,

I can see why you might think this is the case. But NJ, Colorado and Detroit won their cups first, then gave big contracts. Because they had great teams with the best players. They get correspondingly compensated. Conveniently, flush with playoff success revenue, increased interest and demand allowing more tickets to be sold at higher prices, they can afford it.

Payroll isnt the cause. The winners have all developed great teams first. Of course after they win they will be expensive. Its because they can now afford it. Every team that tried to spend their way to dethroning one of the teams that developed their champ failed. The first team to do it was another developed team - Tampa Bay. This is how you have to do it. I dont know why they refuse to admit it. Not one of the big spending teams who are mostly claiming big losses and a need to protect them from themselves could buy a team to knock off the champs that had developed theirs..

Developing a team takes years. Insisting on payroll equality each year is counter productive to proper team development strategies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
me2 said:
Get rid of mandatory wage increases and qualifying offers. To me those lead to inflationary problems.

These are things given to RFAs. RFAs start off capped by the rookie cap. What would Crosby get without it? Well, what was the WHA prepared to offer? Crosby wont get anywhere near that value he could get on a open market. He starts off capped and then slowly gets raises through arbitration until he is 31 and can finally get full market value. To say that these things are inflationary completely misses the point. Of course they are. They are the method of bringing up his artifically capped salary to its market value over 13 years. If you cant compete in this league with a team full of players getting less than their market value, surely a cap isnt going to help either.

If you want to lower the salary for an RFA, all you have to do is the equivalent of putting him through waivers. And then negotiate his market value on the open market. which obviously by not qualifying him you didnt think he was worth. Why are you so concerned about having to negotiate in the open market for players you think are overpaid underachievers? Set him free, if he loves you guys, he'll come back.

We did it with Bonk, Lalime. Its not disastrous. There are other options. Sens fans arent being crybabies about it like they would of been a few years ago if this happened.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
John Flyers Fan said:
Did you prefer it before the mid 90's, when most teams had the same or at least very similar payrolls ???

Take a look at competitive balance from 1971 to 1990.
The NHL was DOMINATED by the Bruins, Habs, Flyers, Isles and Oilers.

That's 12 of 21 teams that made 2 or less semi-finals appearances over a 20 year period (Not all teams were there for all 20 years, but all for at least 10).

The "Big 5" made up 77.5% of the Stanley Cup Finalists, and Edmonton and the Isles didn't even exist the entire 20 years.

Yes, absolutely, we preferred it back then. The simple difference which folks can't seem to grasp:

Back then the league was one sided because those teams were run well. All those teams had great owners, management, drafting, coaching, and therefore talent. Those guys dominated because of their combined skills.

Lousy pathetic teams like my own Canucks were that way because they didn't have any of those things. But the hope was always there, that if you did, you'd improve and be excellent. And that was the case once the Pat Quinn era started.

That isn't the case anymore. It's all based on money now. Even if you have all the keys I mentioned, it still ultimately comes down to cold hard cash.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
thinkwild said:
These are things given to RFAs. RFAs start off capped by the rookie cap. What would Crosby get without it? Well, what was the WHA prepared to offer? Crosby wont get anywhere near that value he could get on a open market. He starts off capped and then slowly gets raises through arbitration until he is 31 and can finally get full market value. To say that these things are inflationary completely misses the point. Of course they are.

Of course the converse applies. If the players want a true market system as they keep saying they want, then they shouldn't want or need an artificial raise system.

But they'll fight tooth and nail to keep that QO system in place, because they know how one-sided it is.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
But they'll fight tooth and nail to keep that QO system in place, because they know how one-sided it is.

so you are making stuff up now ? the players offered to negotiate abritration and the qualifying offer system.

they offered to negotiate anything that didnt include a salary cap.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
It's all based on money now. Even if you have all the keys I mentioned, it still ultimately comes down to cold hard cash.

ok, enough with the damn cliches.

give me one example of a team that is only good becuase it has money. i can give you teams that are bad in spite of the money they have (NYR, WSH and STL)

i can give you numerous examples of teams that have done well and are not considered "money teams". here are three: OTT, VAN and TBY

ok, three more from last season: CGY, NSH and SJS.

So come on and tell me even one team that has only done well because of money.

DR

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
DementedReality said:
So come on and tell me even one team that has only done well because of money.

DR

Hopefully he mentions Detroit. I haven't had to defeat that argument in a few days.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
hockeytown9321 said:
Hopefully he mentions Detroit. I haven't had to defeat that argument in a few days.

well the most obvious answer is TOR. but despite their off ice success, they still havent managed to win a cup in a few decades.

dr

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
DementedReality said:
and do you not pay attention ? only players making less than the league negotiated average salary are entitled to a 10% increase.

secondly, if you dont want the player to leave as UFA, that means he is WORTH the QO. If he isnt, why QO him, just use the money to sign someone else or promote a young cheaper guy ?

Its called "using the system" and if more GM's had the balls and savy to do that, we wouldnt be where we are today.

dr

Pay attention to what? Your take on reality? I gave an example of a flaw... but suddenly it means nothing because it only applies to players making under the average salary? Why is that? It's still an increase. Perhaps the player still shows some promise, but to date hasn't played up to his salary. So the team is just supposed to dump the guy? I like how you use the word "worth" as some kind of value all teams can afford. I suppose that Doug Weight wasn't "worth" keeping for the Oilers. You seem to be arguing that having deeper pockets won't give you an advantage in the NHL. Well teams like the Avs and the Wings and the Stars simply wouldn't have been able to keep their rosters together if they couldn't afford to pay guys like Forsberg, Sakic, Roy and Blake huge salaries. If the Avs were like the Oilers then they would have lost Sakic to the Rangers... but the fact is, they had enough cash to keep him.

Reading your posts on these boards over the past weeks leads me to believe there's little wrong with the NHL as it stands today. I've read nothing that convinces me you understand what you're talking about.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
quat said:
....Doug Weight wasn't "worth" keeping for the Oilers..

correct ... keeping Doug Weight wasnt worth it for the Oilers. Not when, even under a cap, he would command 5million and the Oilers had no support to help him take the team consistently into the playoffs.

the Oilers were better off with Reasoner, Stoll and Deslauriers and the 1/5th of the salary commitment than with Weight. They were able to use the extra 4 or 5m per season to start filling in their roster and signing Staios, Smith, Smyth etc to extensions.

EDM won that deal, what has Weight (and his 8m salary) done for STL to prove that EDM was better off keeping him. Think about it, STL is a team that has spent alot of money (like you say EDM cant do) and done nothing. Imagine if the Oil could also spend a lot of money, the evidence shows Doug Weight + other stars + big salaries does not = winning.

DR

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
quat said:
.. Perhaps the player still shows some promise, but to date hasn't played up to his salary. So the team is just supposed to dump the guy? .

so do you have an example of a player that fits this description or is just another "fictional example".

dr

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
DementedReality said:
correct ... keeping Doug Weight wasnt worth it for the Oilers. Not when, even under a cap, he would command 5million and the Oilers had no support to help him take the team consistently into the playoffs.

the Oilers were better off with Reasoner, Stoll and Deslauriers and the 1/5th of the salary commitment than with Weight. They were able to use the extra 4 or 5m per season to start filling in their roster and signing Staios, Smith, Smyth etc to extensions.

EDM won that deal, what has Weight (and his 8m salary) done for STL to prove that EDM was better off keeping him. Think about it, STL is a team that has spent alot of money (like you say EDM cant do) and done nothing. Imagine if the Oil could also spend a lot of money, the evidence shows Doug Weight + other stars + big salaries does not = winning.

DR

Sorry DR but you can't just plug Weight's salary into a cap situation... even though somehow you've decided it's now only 5 million instead of the 8 he actually makes. (The point I'm making here is 5 million seems extremely arbitrary... why not 3.5 or 4?) Why would Weight go anywhere else if the Oilers would be paying as much as he would get elsewhere?

Weight was badly injured his first season with the Blues, and I'm certainly not one to say spending money like a fool will win you anything. All the Blues needed was a better goaltender, but they spent like crazy on every other position.

Personally, I think the Oilers would have challenged for a cup with Weight, Guerin, Cujo and Smyth, or would have been a threat pretty much every season. Suggesting that the Oilers chose to get rid of Weight because he wasn't good enough to pay what he asked is extremely revisionist. Go to the Oilers board and ask if they would have rather have Doug Weight stay on their team.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
DementedReality said:
so do you have an example of a player that fits this description or is just another "fictional example".

dr

How about Alexander Svitov, Kris Beech or Pavel Brendl? Worth the money they've been paid? No. Deserving of a 10% raise? No. Potentially worth keeping at a 10% raise. Yes. A team's only options are to offer a 10% raise or let him walk for nothing. You can give him the 10% and then trade him, but you can't offer him a pay cut or force him into arbitration.

Brent Burns Beard