Who's your favourite out of the big 3 forwards?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His number is #92, like his Dad (and brother).

He wore #88 in the SHL because he was playing with his dad who was wearing the number Willie wanted, but couldn't have for obvious reasons.

Then let's give him #92 if that is the number he wants :)

I think if guys have a number in mind, just give it to them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner.

Don't know much about Matthews, not a fan of Nylander.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner.

Don't know much about Matthews, not a fan of Nylander.

I caught 2 Swiss games, the WJC games, and a lot of the WC games.

I actually think his game grew a lot even in the time between the WJC and the WC games.

He skates great, his shot is lethal, great hand eye, an impressive 200 foot game, and at games in the WC (not WJC) - Ray Ferraro described it best, "one man cycle" couldn't get the puck off him and he's damned sturdy on his skates.

Toews/Kopitar but with a better shot is the play style I would describe with obvious refinements to come to his defensive game, but that'll be with experience.

Marner is electric, so is Nylander but just wish he was hungrier to go in and get the puck, but have to acknowledge he's equally as crafty and dangerous with the puck on his stick as both Matthews and Marner.

Last edited:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I caught 2 Swiss games, the WJC games, and a lot of the WC games.

I actually think his game grew a lot even in the time between the WJC and the WC games.

He skates great, his shot is lethal, great hand eye, an impressive 200 foot game, and at games in the WC (not WJC) - Ray Ferraro described it best, "one man cycle" couldn't get the puck off him and he's damned study on his skates.

Toews/Kopitar but with a better shot is the play style I would describe with obvious refinements to come to his defensive game, but that'll be with experience.

Marner is electric, so is Nylander but just wish he was hungrier to go in and get the puck, but have to acknowledge he's equally as crafty and dangerous with the puck on his stick as both Matthews and Marner.

Wholeheartedly agree.

We're so lucky to have all three..

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Nylander shouldn't even be on the list.

20 % of the fan base has voted Nylander... The whole world doesn't share an opinion. :help:

That being said, I can't vote against the , 6'3, calm powerful, "acts 20 ears beyond his age" # 1 C Matthews

Jun 27, 2005
20 % of the fan base has voted Nylander... The whole world doesn't share an opinion. :help:

That being said, I can't vote against the , 6'3, calm powerful, "acts 20 ears beyond his age" # 1 C Matthews

80% of this fan base is stupid.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
love hearing the praise for Matthews shooting. And last year Nylander looked like he might be the most dangerous shooter on the Leafs already

but rarely hear much praise for Marner's shooting. Makes me picture a slicker version of Kadri, maybe with better skating. And maybe the same struggle with coaches that want to break his "bad habits" which unlike kadri he'll have to go through at the NHL level and with a coach who seems a bit of a control freak

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Marner.

Electric playing style and very fun to watch.

Been following him on the London Knights for years, plus he was a Leafs fan growing up.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews for me. His play against Team Canada in the WHC sold me that he's an absolute star in the making. I encourage people who missed that game to watch it. He played better than nearly every forward on the ice both sides of the ice.

I think Nylander should consider himself lucky. He's going to be a stud with very little focus on him. Matthews will get more attention because he's the top pick, Marner because he's Canadian. Nylander is going to fly under the radar and be huge for us.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Matthews for me. His play against Team Canada in the WHC sold me that he's an absolute star in the making. I encourage people who missed that game to watch it. He played better than nearly every forward on the ice both sides of the ice.

There were a lot of plays he made throughout the tournament that impressed the hell out of me. There was a loose puck at the top of the blueline and he was in a high traffic area, he flipped the puck to himself around the opposing player, kicked the bouncing puck to himself to keep possession of it came in, and nearly had a shot but the puck didn't settle, my jaw dropped.

Plus there was another goal against France he set up, he basically one man cycled it himself in the corner, went from behind the net all the way around the zone and then back up to about the left point and back hand saucer passed it on a platter for the U.S. defenseman who then stepped into the shot and scored.

Either way I don't want to place too much hype in 1 tournament etc, the reality is, his play throughout the entire season earned him the 1st overall selection.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think all 3 are going to be fantastic parts of this team. Nylander I think won the lotto since there is so much less pressure on him today than there was 6 months ago.

Marner looks incredible, but probably not an NHL center. So it was looking like Nylander would have to be the #1 center. Which I think he could have done, just not that elite #1 center that we'll get with Matthews.

In the end the poll is asking who is the best player, just who people like more.

On that side of it, I'd probably lean towards Matthews. The hope that getting this guy will do for the franchise is pretty nuts. What he can do on the ice is a lot of fun to watch. But it is hard to go wrong with anyone. Nylander had great moments last year and seeing him on the Leafs was awesome. While Marner literally just had an insane season. Could easily see him ending up my favorite guy on the team.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
This is a question for a couple years down the road.. I'll say Matthews simply because he's going to be the best all around especially defensively

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I didn't think Matthews even stood out much in the Team Canada game. Just his size/speed combo but he didn't look slick with the puck or anything. Just shielded it like big guys tend to before making a ho-hum pass or shot. I do remember being scared when he had the puck but I think that was mostly because of the hype around him

same with the Finnish guys who's skating and size stood out but not much else, just the same random stuff you see from tons of players

only guy who really stood out to me was Marner in the 3rd period against Finland when he suddenly became an entirely different player and started doing whatever he wanted with the puck. He was mostly forgettable the rest of the time other than the odd nice deke or pass which tons of players do so who cares, but a few shifts he was on another planet from everyone else. That left a better impression than matthews of the finns although I didn't watch all their games

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
This is a question for a couple years down the road.. I'll say Matthews simply because he's going to be the best all around especially defensively

It's literally just a "who's your favorite" question. We don't need to wait any amount of time to decide. A lot decided right when we won the lottery Matthews was their favorite leaf lol.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Matthews is the big prize that fans of this decade have been waiting for. A player with literally every quality you can ask for.

If he reaches his potential he's potentially a player who rivals the greats that have played for the Leafs.

Not to sound stupid or anything but he is the biggest representation of hope the Leafs have had in a long while. Also not trying to make him out to be the savior but he could potentially erase all the dread the past years have accumulated and make them worth while.

Safe to say I'm all in with Matthews, hope only the best for him and hope Babcock helps him to develop into the best player he can be.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We should all be very proud of ourselves that we prospects like Matthews, Marner, and Nylander in our pool - I mean the list of good prospects is so long when we really used to have nothing

At one point even Kadri was considered a big deal - please keep in mind I am still a big fan of Kadri but how can you compare Kadri to all these prospects like Mtthews, Marner and so on (they are all way too skilled)

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Mitch Marner for me. He's been my favourite player since the oilers won the McDavid sweepstakes. If Lou will let Mitch wear number 93 I will buy my first leafs jersey since Ed Belfour was on the team. Having said that I love that the Leafs have all three of these guys...exciting times are exciting.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Nylander is talented...Mathews should be a franchise player and easily the best of the three......but I love marner's game....
If I miss a game and check the boxscore, I will be looking for his name first.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad