Post-Game Talk: Who's Your Captain - Jets Win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Classless is taunting hurt players.

Mocking a franchises dysfunction is totally fair game.

Heck, there are some sharks fans that have #whosyourcaptain under their user name.

I guess there is classy and then there is classy. I rate a lot of what Jets fans do as deliberately classless in the name of good clean fun, which is kind of classy in its own way.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Classless is taunting hurt players.

Mocking a franchises dysfunction is totally fair game.

Heck, there are some sharks fans that have #whosyourcaptain under their user name.

Mocking athletes _within the insular world of professional athletics_ that they willingly participate in is absolutely not only fair game, but it is an expected, understood and noble part of the process. It's no more "classless" than hissing at the villain at a pantomime or booing the bad guy at professional wrestling.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
one is near elite defensively and one is medicocre defensively

outscoring>scoring

I didn't claim Staff is better. One is better offensively and the other defensively. How far are they from balancing out? The defensive one is not bad offensively and the offensive one is not bad defensively.

They should both get ~4mil/year. We might sign neither as they both get more than that in FA.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I mean, the chant wasn't even directed at a single person, just at the team as a whole.

If we are rating things on classiness: picking out a single player is a lot worse than just mocking a whole organization.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Mocking athletes _within the insular world of professional athletics_ that they willingly participate in is absolutely not only fair game, but it is an expected, understood and noble part of the process. It's no more "classless" than hissing at the villain at a pantomime or booing the bad guy at professional wrestling.

...so you agree with me :P

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

what about booing the face that's being shoved down our throats

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Strawberry.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Well there you go then! Everything connected to pantomime and pro wraslin is classless.

jggmalloy

Tobi-Wan Kenobi
Oct 30, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
jetsnation.ca
I really think Stafford is a guy the Jets should make every effort to hold onto. Works hard, he is a very smart player and he seems to be a really good teammate. Something around $4 M per year over 3 years should be a nice fit.

Agreed. If Matty P came back today I wouldn't split that Stafford/Scheifele/Wheeler line up.

I didn't know much about Stafford's game before he became a Jet, but what I've learned is that he plays a pretty damn good 2-way game. Love him on the forecheck.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Urrrghgghhhh. Enstrom is far and away a better dman then Buff. He's still good offensively and ten tomes better in his own end then Buff.

Enstrom is worth every penny of his contract and he's the only LHD that we have that's actually any good.

But but Buff is big and does high event thinggggss!!

He ragdolls people sometimes!!!!!

All Enstrom does is play the same, elite level game over and over... quietly.

Oh.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Well there you go then! Everything connected to pantomime and pro wraslin is classless.

Well it's more that none of the above are classless, at least to me. Your mileage may vary :P

...so you agree with me :P

Yeah, for sure :) If they were tearing into someone who suffered a personal tragedy, that would be one thing. Real life criminal troubles, that too. They tore into Craig MacTavish after his vehicular homicide / DUI back in Calgary, but I'd like to think sports fans have evolved at least a bit.

what about booing the face that's being shoved down our throats

Booing someone because they have become cloying is perfectly legitimate. Kurt Angle became insta-heel from his first promo because of this, after all.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Who's had the pleasure of attending a BPL soccer game? Now that's classless at it's very best!

Hockey fans are church mice compared to those loogans.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Oh.

Ya you're right Enstrom never makes bad passes , always shoots the puck on power plays when he has a chance , and never ever gets muscled off of pucks !!!BUFF makes bad plays now and again but overall he brings more to the game than Enstrom . We are not going to agree on this , but i would rather have BUFF than Enstrom !!!;)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Oh.

They play pretty opposite roles right now, but they're close in terms of value to the team:

-Enstrom is significantly better defensively (and overall positionally), and he eats up the hardest minutes.
-Enstrom is historically better at shot suppression, though it's much closer this year than it has been in the past.
-Byfuglien has historically been better at pushing play forward.
-Byfuglien has been significantly better on the PP for a few years now.
-Enstrom is a solid point producer, Buff is an elite (as in, top 5 in the NHL) producer from the blueline.

Putting age and contract status aside, I'd probably take Enstrom if I had to take one, if only because the Jets have two other players that fulfill the same role as Buff (albeit not as well). On other rosters, I'd take Byfuglien over Enstrom without much hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad