Post-Game Talk: Who's Your Captain - Jets Win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everyone played good tonight. But I have to say Trouba made some bone headed plays in their own zone. Almost like he was being too cocky with the puck.

I thought Trouba was terrible tonight. The worst I can recall seeing him play. He was fighting the puck and getting his feet tangled. If I didn't know better I'd say he was playing hungover. Seriously bad.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That seems likely, for now. But if they plan to keep Buff next year, then I think it needs to become a more long-term solution. Personally, I think that Postma can handle bottom-pair minutes with Stu. I also think that Morrissey might well be able to step in and play bottom pair minutes sometime next year.

Emstrom Stuart Chiarot Morrissey. I'm not sure if it's really in the long term plans.

Last edited:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
First three goals last night.........

1) Lowery coming out of the corner

2) Schief with a snipe on the power play

3) Trouba with the blast tipped in by Ladd

Schief ( 3 points)/Lowery and Troubs all with big games last night when it mattered.

:m-cool:..... "The future is so bright.......I gotta wear shades"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought Trouba was terrible tonight. The worst I can recall seeing him play. He was fighting the puck and getting his feet tangled. If I didn't know better I'd say he was playing hungover. Seriously bad.

He was definitelty off tonight. I would like to see him with a defender that takes pressure off of him. I think a Morrissey in another years time will really help him out as right now he's just trying to do to much.

On the other hand our young centers look great, if we can get some impacrful scoring on the wings by Ehlers and Petan moving forward we will have a very dynic team.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Perhaps with this latest turn in the Adam Lowry narrative, combined with the scraggly red beard, the nickname "Captain Caveman" might get some traction.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've really enjoyed watching the Jets lot more since Kane was traded.

It feels like that incident cemented the team.

The team also seems to be taking less penalties since then. Could it be the refs not having to hear the never ending *****ing and moaning from Kane after every whistle?

No it couldn't. The Jets penalty problem comes from the Jets not the refs. It has been better for about the last 4 games not since Kane left. We still have several other 'chirpers'. Sorry, just doesn't hold water. Some of the Jets are finally starting to smarten up.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
More then any of our youngsters, I'm most happy with Lowry. He plays a mature game and is definitely becoming a good 3rd line center. 4th line? Yeah, not anymore. His game has developed and matured very well throughout the year and I think it's clear he's too good to not be playing 3rd line minutes. If he's ever moved to the 4th, it's because we're rich in centers and/or we need more minutes from our 4th line. I like Scheif's development as muh as the next guy, but I think Lowry's development had been close to beat case scenario.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No it couldn't. The Jets penalty problem comes from the Jets not the refs. It has been better for about the last 4 games not since Kane left. We still have several other 'chirpers'. Sorry, just doesn't hold water. Some of the Jets are finally starting to smarten up.

I think also that the penalty reduction has just come from the refs calling it less tight as we get closer to the playoffs. Calls in the regular season tend to be ignored as it gets closer to Cup time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Had a great time at the game with the wife last night.

On Trouba.......he is really really good. I realize he got stripped by Patty on St Pats day but [stuff] happens and if you noticed that exact same shift after the Sharks didn't convert Trouba took charge and did the exact same thing, cleared the zone, and joined in the rush as if to say $&@& you guys. I have zero issues if he makes a mistake here and there "trying to make a play" because he clears the zone so well so often I will take the trade off. Jacob has what all the great players have and that is an inordinate anount of self confidence that is attached to the reality of their skill set. He is the take change guy that drives the play. He is getting better and better IMO.

Lowry started out the season solid in a safe way but as his confidence has grown he is taking his game to the next level. He creates allot of problems for the opposition by driving to the net hard, screening, battling, and he might not get noticed for it but its a big deal. He plays like a veteran already can't believe he is a rookie.

I agree with those who say it is really fun to watch Myers live. There are a few things to like about Tyler (that skating :amazed:) but the base element I like is I think he wants to be "the man"! He seems to like to take charge on his shift and displays a high level of self confidence. I loved Zach but I never sensed that level of self belief. He definitely did his part playing with Toby but he didn't seem to want to dominate in the same fashion Myers does. Seems like Tyler has that extra gear at the high end.

Schief is playing his best hockey as an NHL'er now. Nice when a guy gets a bigger role and rises to the challenge. The best part about our two young centre's is they are so smart and disciplined with their D assignments.

Every goalie gets their hot streaks and Pavs has had them every season......praying for the mother of all troll jobs where he has one over the next couple of weeks. :laugh:

Agree with all except Trouba. Generally speaking yes but not last night. You and I must have watched 2 entirely different games. He was fighting the puck and just plane fumbling it. He kept getting his feet tangled up in his legs. Just seriously off and ill-coordinated. Easily the worst game I can remember seeing him play.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Urrrghgghhhh. Enstrom is far and away a better dman then Buff. He's still good offensively and ten tomes better in his own end then Buff.

Enstrom is worth every penny of his contract and he's the only LHD that we have that's actually any good.

Not to mention he has a full no trade clause.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Buff playoff effect needs to be observed and considered in decisions about his future. If this team is good enough to make the playoffs consistently in the next few years, having Buff for the playoffs could be a huge reason to try to keep him. Even if he isn't able to have a consistent impact throughout each season, I've long maintained that he is one of the few Jets that can elevate to elite status and be a dominant playoff performer. Myers might fit into that category now, too.

If we could just extend Buff's current contract, as is for another 3-4 years, yes. But we can't. He will demand and get too much of everything, money, term and NMC.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree with all except Trouba. Generally speaking yes but not last night. You and I must have watched 2 entirely different games. He was fighting the puck and just plane fumbling it. He kept getting his feet tangled up in his legs. Just seriously off and ill-coordinated. Easily the worst game I can remember seeing him play.

Yea I am talking about Jacob more overall. I think he had some good plays and did struggle at moments last night but it’s also not easy playing with Stu and it does put so much more pressure on Jacob to make plays and bail the pair out. Usually he is up to the task but at times the pressure can get to even him. I still liked allot of the things I saw last night from Jacob given the handicapping. Perhaps some of my comments have to do with the fact I watched him live last vs on TV which has been the case in the last half dozen games for me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I want to see the Jets try Buff on LD (with Trouba). If he can be effective there, I can see them keeping him in the top-4 D. Morrissey can come in on the third pairing (and PP) and develop into a top-4 D and take over for Buff or Enstrom in a few years.

I would like to see that tried too, just for information. They played Buff & Trouba together a bit for a few games before Buff got hurt. It seemed to work out well. The thing is that no matter how good Buff is on the left side it will be somewhat less good than he is on the right side. Partly because of the physical differences and partly because of a lifetime of seeing the ice from the right side. That said Buff has always roamed from side to side more than most players. If anyone can make the switch successfully Buff should be able to. The problem will still be his next contract though. He will get more than he is actually worth. And then his actual worth will be reduced by any drop in his effectiveness moving to the other side. Even if the drop off is only 5% (I'd expect more) he won't take a 5% cut in his already too high pay when he does it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think also that the penalty reduction has just come from the refs calling it less tight as we get closer to the playoffs. Calls in the regular season tend to be ignored as it gets closer to Cup time.

Yes, they have definitely let some things go that would have been called earlier but even so the Jets are starting to take fewer penalties than they draw. That is a good thing. :)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yea I am talking about Jacob more overall. I think he had some good plays and did struggle at moments last night but it’s also not easy playing with Stu and it does put so much more pressure on Jacob to make plays and bail the pair out. Usually he is up to the task but at times the pressure can get to even him. I still liked allot of the things I saw last night from Jacob given the handicapping. Perhaps some of my comments have to do with the fact I watched him live last vs on TV which has been the case in the last half dozen games for me.

Watching on TV is definitely limiting and he did make some good plays in between the bad ones. But his clumsiness and mishandling the puck was getting scary at times last night. I hope it was just an off night that doesn't get repeated.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Classless is taunting hurt players.

Mocking a franchises dysfunction is totally fair game.

Heck, there are some sharks fans that have #whosyourcaptain under their user name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad