Status
Not open for further replies.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Richard_Zednik said:
the title says it all

ACtually, under the new application of the rules, most of Canada's penalties were warranted. Just like they aren't tolerated in the NHL. Junior hockey has been plagued with hooking, grabbing, grabbing the stick, etc. Just look at the games in the CHL, it's unbelievable. The charging penalties, I grant you, were overboard. But there were a lot of hooking on both sides yesterday.

Canada and Norway were lucky that the ref let go of plenty of obstruction no-calls. I saw at least 10 of them not being called.

Face it: this canadian team was molded by a coach who believes that hard work and aggresiveness can go a long way. Unfortunately, under the new system, this team is doomed. Not enough skating, not enough talent.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
deandebean said:
ACtually, under the new application of the rules, most of Canada's penalties were warranted. Just like they aren't tolerated in the NHL. Junior hockey has been plagued with hooking, grabbing, grabbing the stick, etc. Just look at the games in the CHL, it's unbelievable. The charging penalties, I grant you, were overboard. But there were a lot of hooking on both sides yesterday.

Canada and Norway were lucky that the ref let go of plenty of obstruction no-calls. I saw at least 10 of them not being called.

Face it: this canadian team was molded by a coach who believes that hard work and aggresiveness can go a long way. Unfortunately, under the new system, this team is doomed. Not enough skating, not enough talent.

This is a bunch of crap, and does nothing to answer the poster's question. If you want to address this crap in another thread, go ahead. I for one, am interested in the answer to "who will be the ref for tomorrow's game"?

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
deandebean said:

How about instead of telling us how bad Canada is going to do you tell us who will ref the Can-US game?

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
The sad thing is is that he probably believes what he said. What a friggan joke. :shakehead

I am wondering why there hasn't been any North American refs at all....

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
SaskaSens said:
The sad thing is is that he probably believes what he said. What a friggan joke. :shakehead

I am wondering why there hasn't been any North American refs at all....

Listen, I don't like this new deal. I hate it. But Fasel and his cronies have stated that it's going to be that way all the way to the Olympics. We'll have to accept it.

As for the ref, it doesn't matter. That's what you should have read instead. Read between lines.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
GGmang said:
How about instead of telling us how bad Canada is going to do you tell us who will ref the Can-US game?

I may be wrong here, but I believed that the by his comment after the title, he meant that the ref's identity will be a big part of the result. Maybe I misinterpreted his question. Maybe I went too deep on this one.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
deandebean said:
Listen, I don't like this new deal. I hate it. But Fasel and his cronies have stated that it's going to be that way all the way to the Olympics. We'll have to accept it.

As for the ref, it doesn't matter. That's what you should have read instead. Read between lines.

Why jump in with all these assuming comments? He just wants to know who the ref will be. Ease up.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
After watching tonight's 2 games, one of which was reffed by the same German guy who did Canada vs Switzerland, I am wondering if the IIHF changed their minds on the absurd crackdown. Both games were called much looser, and it was great. I certainly hope it continues tomorrow. That said, I'm still hoping for Matsuoka, although since he's Canadian I don't think it will be him.

Does anyone have any idea who's doing it tomorrow?

BCCHL inactive

To answer the question, the IIHF won't release that information likely until less than an hour before game time.

The only guarantee is that it won't be Matsuoka (CAN) or Thul (USA) as a neutral official must be used for every game.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
The Swedish referee is doing today's Canada-U.S. game. He was the same ref who did the U.S.-Finland game, after which the Finnish coach was seen racing through the hallways trying to find the referee's room. And I don't think he was going to wish his next-door neighbour Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Hard to know how it will go. The Czech ref, Minar, did a good job in the U.S.-Switzerland game although the Americans, I'm sure, didn't think too much of the calls that put them two men short in the third and which allowed the Swiss to tie the game. The truth is Minar let them play, there were a fair number of big hits that ddin't result in a penalty which gave the kids confidence to keep playing at a high emotional level. There were a few times when players went down in close quarters and were looking for a penalty, but Minar just kept shaking his head and telling them to play on. It was refreshing, and the players were able to play hard without fearing the parade to the box, but he wasn't afraid to make calls when he felt they were necessary. Like I said, the Americans wouldn't like the calls to the two Johnsons in the third period, but that, IMO, falls into the category of normal deciding if the ref made the right call as opposed to the systemic problem of nothing but penalties, many of them phantom, that we had in earlier games.

The Czech ref did Canada's opening game against Finland and I would say, based on what I've seen so far, the Czech official seems to have a better feel for the game than most. Azivus, the German ref, would be at the opposite end of the spectrum with the Russian and Swede refs in between somewhere.

If you're not aware, at the tournament directorate meeting yesterday, the IIHF recognized there's a problem with implementation of the new zero tolerance policy. The directorate has called a TRIM (Teams-Referees in Meeting) for before the playoff round begins, which means all the coaches, heads of delegations and the referees, as well as the officiating supervisors, will get together and try to re-establish the parameters of how the games will be called. The emphasis is supposed to be allowing physical contact but continuing to go for zero tolerance on hooking, holding etc. We'll see.

In the meantime, it's believed for yesterday's games, as well as today's, there will be mini-meetings involving the coaches and ref/supervisor for the game so they can try to re-establish that hockey is a contact game but that there will continue to be zero tolerance on the other stuff. Again, we'll see.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
The directorate has called a TRIM (Teams-Referees in Meeting) for before the playoff round begins, which means all the coaches, heads of delegations and the referees, as well as the officiating supervisors, will get together and try to re-establish the parameters of how the games will be called. The emphasis is supposed to be allowing physical contact but continuing to go for zero tolerance on hooking, holding etc.
I hope you are right, Bob, and that the refs call the game as it should be called.
I'm one of the biggest proponents for getting hooking and obstruction off the ice...but you can't take body checking out of the greatest game on earth.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Van said:
To answer the question, the IIHF won't release that information likely until less than an hour before game time.

The only guarantee is that it won't be Matsuoka (CAN) or Thul (USA) as a neutral official must be used for every game.

Which is a shame, because the way this tournament has gone, I doubt either Canada or the USA would have a problem with either of these referees calling tonights game.

I can only hope that the Swedish referee realizes what two teams are on the ice tonight, and that this isnt Europe. Let them play.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Might not be that bad of a game... apparently the IIHF has taken note of the penalty issue... from today's London Free Press

"We are pressing for (an improvement)," said Frank Gonzalez of Spain, also an IIHF council member.

"We are a little disappointed, like everyone else. I think there has been a misunderstanding with some of our officials and trying to go for the no-tolerance."

Gonzalez, who outlined the precise manner in which IIHF officiating supervisors guide referees each day, said there is no intent on the IIHF's part to have the referees call the games on a no-tolerance basis......

Swedish ref Marcus Vinnerborg will work tonight's game between Canada and the U.S. Expect less to be called, if Gonzalez's message sinks in.

Article

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
deandebean said:

Err no I think the ref does matter. I can read between the lines, can you read a thread title?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
Great the Swedish guy.....guess there won't be any hitting in this game the way he calls it. :shakehead

The tourney is in NA this year, so why not allow the physical stuff??? It'd be great to see the US and Canada in a spirited battle.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Resolute said:
I can only hope that the Swedish referee realizes what two teams are on the ice tonight, and that this isnt Europe. Let them play.

:yo: :handclap: :yo: I couldn't agree more!!!

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
The tourney is in NA this year, so why not allow the physical stuff??? It'd be great to see the US and Canada in a spirited battle.

I dont understand this. Cause its in NA the tourney should be more physical?
And when its in Europe, it should be less physical?

I dont think refereeing should be based on where the tournament is. The rules should be the same whether its played in Canada or Sweden.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
i wana see hits, hits, and more hits besides any euro ref would realize that Canada vs US is the most physical match up. They know our style of play in NA is much more physical so in any case would call it less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad