Who's ready for first pair minutes with Provy?

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
They had about equal ES time the Florida game. The Nashville game Gudas played over a minute more though. There’s still a fair margin on the entire season so far in gaps between ice time the two at ES & overall time. But yes Macdonald along with Provorov primarily matched up against both teams top lines. They actually didn’t grade out poorly statistically but there’s enough of a sample size to know that’s not going to last in the long run.

That jives with what I have observed. And begs the original question...who are you going to put onto the top pair?!

If we can't pick someone, who can?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas will stay with Sanheim, you're gonna screw up the development of a top prospect by pairing him with another rookie or someone like MacDonald?
When they're confident that Morin is ready, they might pair him with Sanheim, unless Myers leapfrogs Morin by replacing MacDonald.
But Hextall will bide his time, I'm sure he's already thought this through, I mean, he does get paid to think about these things fulltime.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gudas will stay with Sanheim, you're gonna screw up the development of a top prospect by pairing him with another rookie or someone like MacDonald?
When they're confident that Morin is ready, they might pair him with Sanheim, unless Myers leapfrogs Morin by replacing MacDonald.
But Hextall will bide his time, I'm sure he's already thought this through, I mean, he does get paid to think about these things fulltime.

I know....Ghost was ruined by being paired with AMac as a rookie.

:huh:

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It also helps to pair him with a RHD, giving him that extra breakout option so he isn't pressured to force pucks up. He's pretty looked good the last couple games and I think that's a big contributing factor.

Speaking of which, I think the lack of RHD is a big reason why MacDonald gets stuck with Provorov by default. A LHD-LHD pair amplifies the need for one talented puckmover to be out there at all times controlling the breakout. It also limits chemistry and the ability for quick, effective breakout plays, so you'd get diminishing returns with a pairing like Provorov-Ghost. It's best to break them up. That leaves Provorov with MacDonald, Hagg, and Manning, not the best choices. Maybe Hagg takes MacDonald's spot there after long, but I don't know.... it's not ideal either way. Really wish the team had another legit top-4 RHD and hope Myers pans out in the near future.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Do you think they're gonna bring in Morin without injuries? I mean who would come out? Hagg? Not a smart idea. Should be MacDonald but I don't think they're prepared to do that or go with 7D.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Do you think they're gonna bring in Morin without injuries? I mean who would come out? Hagg? Not a smart idea. Should be MacDonald but I don't think they're prepared to do that or go with 7D.

No, I don't think they will either. The good thing about this situation and about Big Sam generally is that he has such a spectacular attitude about everything, so if anyone can manage any disappointment at the dream deferred, I'd bet he can. I was going to be happy for him anyway when he eventually gets the call and sticks, but this is going to make it even sweeter.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto

Try putting your brainpower towards thinking of a way to get AMac away from first line minutes...not off the team. This year.

I am not convinced at all that him with Provy against guys like McDavid is not our best bet still, at this point. Pretty sure it's the most interesting Flyer's question to discuss.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
If Ghost continues to have a great year playing LD, and the team thinks it's best to keep him there, then we have another long jam. We really need one if Ghost/Sanheim/Morin to play RD moving forward.

CelticPride

Jan 12, 2015
I wouldn't mind Gudas playing with Provolone. With all our young D, one of them is bound to be a good match with Provy in the future.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hey, don't forget to put Manning into the mix!!!

Oh Mandog, well you came and you gave without taking
But I sent you away, Oh Mandog,
Then you pitched in and stopped us from losing,
And I neeeeeeeeeed YOOOOOUUUUUUUUU

Barry-Manilow-Manilow-Magic-T-348632-290x300.jpg

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I said it before, if rookie Provy can carry around AMac, then 2nd year Provy can carry around Hagg.

Sounds like Ghost prefers being LD, and with how well he has been playing, I think they will keep him there this year. So unless Sanheim switches to RD, then things won't change any time soon.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trade MacDonald.

Provy-Hagg
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Ghost
Manning

Ghost prefers the left side, that's why he likes playing with Hagg.
Keep him with Hagg, put Sanheim with Morin (they played together last season), Gudas with Provorov.
But what do you do next year if Myers or Friedman are ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad