Whom you'd rather Draft: Carlsson or Michkov?

Whom you'd rather Draft:

• Leo Carlsson

Votes: 127 47.2%
  • Matvei Michkov

Votes: 140 52.0%
  • Dvorsky better!

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We were talking about Michkov's character six months ago here. Word coming out of St. Petersburg was that he was pompous and entitled, rude to teammates. Nikolishin hasn't said anything not covered before.

Obviously scouts won't attach their names to harsh public criticisms, they don't talk that way about prospects on the record. There is a lot of misinformation too so I agree we should listen with a skeptical ear. Though typically if a prospect is being mischaracterized, then hockey people who know the player will speak up on their behalf, and we're not hearing that with Michkov.
He’s sounds like a Canuck already.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Michkov is better, but Carlsson plays a more important position, is more NHL-ready, and he fits an organizational need. if either is available at #4 the Sharks easily pick Carlsson.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Personnally, I take Carlsson. Michkov has the better raw talent and could become the better player. Carlsson is the surer bet to carv out a career. My choice is based on Michkov having a contract with SKA, the international situation and the rumors about Michkov`s personality. In a vacuum without theese issues I would`ve taken Michkov

Michkov is the vastly superior prospect. Everyone loves to overthink these things this time of year
No overthinking needed - GM:s and scouts have to consider all things around the prospect too. Not only the raw talent. If you draft the better player and he has issues like contract with other team, rumoured personality-issues and this "international situation" - you have to think long about them. Otherwise you are not doing your job.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Carlsson looks like he could be the next Kopitar, or at the very least a Swedish Eric Staal.

I know Michkov will score more points, but if Im a GM and trying to build a winning team, I go with the big skilled center.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Michkov is better, but Carlsson plays a more important position, is more NHL-ready, and he fits an organizational need. if either is available at #4 the Sharks easily pick Carlsson.

Carlsson better fits the organizational need for every team. Michkov is less valuable because he is less talented at doing the things that NHL teams find scarce (like playing the total game). It's not just the Sharks that find it easy to load up on small one way scoring wings. Alex DeBrincat is for sale at half price right now and no one is eager to get him.

Carlsson looks like he could be the next Kopitar, or at the very least a Swedish Eric Staal.

I know Michkov will score more points, but if Im a GM and trying to build a winning team, I go with the big skilled center.

You know it?

There wasn't a huge difference in their points per game and obviously size is the single biggest factor in how those scoring rates translate to the NHL.

Carlsson might have actually been ahead in points per minute, he wasn't given all the prime scoring minutes like Michkov was.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Michkov AINEC unless the rebuild is already pretty adwanced and I already have a young franchise forward on the roster. In that case it would be a harder decision but I'd probably still prefer Michkov.

Reactions: User9992

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Carlsson. In terms of raw talent i value Michov higher, but he will also be stuck in the KHL for 3 years after the draft. I would be pretty nervous about that if i was a GM (i'm not talking about russian politics either, just the lack of control over the prospect for that long).

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Scouting reports aren't rumors. If it was some analyst saying something I would agree. But that's literally what scouts get paid to do...
One guy hearing rumors [while admiting it could be just a big smokescreen}
is not a Scouting report.:laugh:

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Carlsson better fits the organizational need for every team. Michkov is less valuable because he is less talented at doing the things that NHL teams find scarce (like playing the total game). It's not just the Sharks that find it easy to load up on small one way scoring wings. Alex DeBrincat is for sale at half price right now and no one is eager to get him.

Patrick Kane would like to have a word with you.

Hell, Bedard falls into that category as well; a smaller player who can be labelled as one-dimensional.
He certainly is relative to Carlsson.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Patrick Kane would like to have a word with you.

Hell, Bedard falls into that category as well; a smaller player who can be labelled as one-dimensional.
He certainly is relative to Carlsson.

Michkov as Patrick Kane (after his skating came down a notch c. 2017) is not a bad comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad