Whom you'd rather Draft: Carlsson or Michkov?

Whom you'd rather Draft:

• Leo Carlsson

Votes: 127 47.2%
  • Matvei Michkov

Votes: 140 52.0%
  • Dvorsky better!

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If Michkov was just a bit talle4, he could challange Bedard. Wich he coyldnt this year, cause injury. Hr has been side by side with Bedard, and actually was past Bedard at last years U18 and until start of this year.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Michkov is better but wont be here for a few years and is In Russia.

But hey if you get to start michkov on his 3yr etc at 21 that may be better cuz he will make more impact on cheaper contract at that age. Rather than waste Carlsons at 18-20 before he is too impactful?

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
I'd draft every player based on pure upside.

Some of these teams drafting safe picks in later rounds because they will be 3rd/4th liners in 5 years. Bruh just sign a 4th liner for 750k.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People obsessing over old results in U18 tournaments are looking at the wrong thing. These prospects all mature at different paces, and peak at different times.

I watched every scrap of video I could for Leo's SHL games and Michkov's KHL games, and I think Carlsson is a better player right now and will translate much better to the NHL. I think the shine on Michkov is coming off vs NHL defenders. He already looks much weaker vs good KHL defenders - his best performances in the KHL were vs players that didn't belong in that league - or for instance the Team China goalie for Kunlun who put up an .815. Small players frequently dominate in KHL scoring and you have to ask how they look vs the best defenses to get a better sense of how they might project to the NHL.

I can see Michkov scoring 40-50 pts per year on an NHL PP, maybe scoring 40+ goals total, but my guess is that people are going to be very disappointed in his overall value even if the points come. He doesn't have the skating or strength to carry the puck vs good defenders, he's not going to carry a team like Kaprizov can. He'll be more situational. I could see playstyle and value somewhere intermediate between Kucherov and DeBrincat but with worse defense. It's also still an open question how Michkov fits in to an established offense where the puck doesn't run through him.

Leo Carlsson is one of the safest bets to be an all-around #1C that you'll ever find. And I don't think his upside is lower than Michkov's either. There's no category where I'm pulled towards Michkov here.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Michkov is closer to Bedard than he is to the field. The timing of of Putin's geopolitical disaster is a damn shame for hockey fans, I feel like we were robbed of something special seeing Bedard vs Michkov on the U20 world stage.

Reactions: User9992

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I typically look at the past to predict the future. Kucherov, kaprisov, tarasenko, nitushkin and barbashev are not stars and they both came out of the gate slow but eventually found their footing. Add in kuzmenko and panarin and Russian wingers always find a way to be great nhlers. This michkov is arguably better than most of the names I just listed at the same age. Michkov will be a star in the nhl one day.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I typically look at the past to predict the future. Kucherov, kaprisov, tarasenko, nitushkin and barbashev are not stars and they both came out of the gate slow but eventually found their footing. Add in kuzmenko and panarin and Russian wingers always find a way to be great nhlers. This michkov is arguably better than most of the names I just listed at the same age. Michkov will be a star in the nhl one day.

Russian wingers do not always find a way to be great NHLers. Gurianov, Kravtsov, etc... If I had all day I'd keep going.

It sounds like you're just familiar with the ones that did well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad