Who would you bring back?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
100% yes to Schlemko. Everyone else is a 100% no from me aside from Elias and maybe Kennedy.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
farnham - ideally as one of the extra forwards who doesn't play every night
kennedy - ideally as a fourth liner
schlemko - same role he has been in this season

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If I thought they'd actually keep Gionta as a 13th forward I'd be for bringing him back, but if he's back here he's playing every day.

You think??? I don't think they would have the balls to send him down but I definitely think they wouldn't mind scratching him. Whether you guys want to believe it or not, Stephen Gionta is a big part of this team. I want him to stay, but I definitely want his role limited. He is not good enough to be playing in all 82 games.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think it's time to structure a team so that Stephen Gionta doesn't have to be a part of it, nonetheless a big part of it. Frankly, players of Stephen Gionta's minimal skill shouldn't be big parts of NHL teams who have any aspirations to success. I'm not saying Gionta is the worst fourth liner (since we sadly have a host of players on this team to challenge him for that title) but the idea of him being a big part of the team is just cringeworthy. He's an interchangeable part, nothing more, and one that could quite easily be upgraded.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm fine with Gionta in a role as veteran leader in Albany next season.

He'd be perfect in that role. He seems to be a great guy, just not blessed with the skill set to be a regular NHLer on a team with any kind of playoff aspirations, and there's nothing wrong with that, since a vast majority of humanity doesn't have that skill set, but it really doesn't help the Devils to shoehorn him into the NHL when he doesn't fit there too well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You think??? I don't think they would have the balls to send him down but I definitely think they wouldn't mind scratching him. Whether you guys want to believe it or not, Stephen Gionta is a big part of this team. I want him to stay, but I definitely want his role limited. He is not good enough to be playing in all 82 games.

They haven't proved it this season. And you said it yourself, they think he's a big part of the team as presently constituted. The Devils need to eventually get to a point where guys like Gionta and Josefson aren't looked on as key members.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Id take a year older and fatter Brodeur playing forward in Lundqvist's pads before id take Gionta Ruutu or Tootoo

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I would like to see Farnham back purely from an entertainment stand point if I'm being honest. Hopefully he'd be further down the depth chart and not one of our highest goal scorers next season lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I only DEFINITELY want Schlemko back.

I'll take back Kennedy as a 4th liner ONLY! He's not good enough at offense to be a 3rd liner anymore.

I'll take back Farnham as an extra forward when the team is healthy, don't want him in nightly though. We don't have enough room, unless Josefson or Kalinin and Kennedy will be on the 3rd line again.:help:

I'd have to really think on Elias.

Don't want ANY of Tootoo, Ruutu, Gionta, Tlusty back as players and in an on ice role under ANY circumstances whatsoever. These are the next batch of ex-Devils that will be finding their way to no employment in the NHL next season. Unless we're dumb enough to give it to them. And Pete doesn't like any of these players other Gionta, so he won't be rescuing one of the other castaways like he did with Zubrus.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was going to troll vote Ruutu and Tootoo in this poll, just because I figured nobody else would.

Then I saw JK3 gave a vote to Ruutu and Tootoo and even Tlusty, so I figured they already had enough love and decided against it!:laugh:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I was going to troll vote Ruutu and Tootoo in this poll, just because I figured nobody else would.

Then I saw JK3 gave a vote to Ruutu and Tootoo and even Tlusty, so I figured they already had enough love and decided against it!:laugh:

...:D

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think it's time to structure a team so that Stephen Gionta doesn't have to be a part of it, nonetheless a big part of it. Frankly, players of Stephen Gionta's minimal skill shouldn't be big parts of NHL teams who have any aspirations to success. I'm not saying Gionta is the worst fourth liner (since we sadly have a host of players on this team to challenge him for that title) but the idea of him being a big part of the team is just cringeworthy. He's an interchangeable part, nothing more, and one that could quite easily be upgraded.

He is the same exact player he was in the 2012 playoffs. And he was a huge part of that team that was 2 wins away from a Stanley Cup. I would love to have Gionta back as the 13/14th forward. Locker room guys like him go a long way for the team.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
He is the same exact player he was in the 2012 playoffs. And he was a huge part of that team that was 2 wins away from a Stanley Cup. I would love to have Gionta back as the 13/14th forward. Locker room guys like him go a long way for the team.

When was the last time he checked somebody real hard. I can't think of any time this year.

During the run in 2012, he did this nightly. So much so, I used to laugh and yell Gionta-SMASH!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

If Gionta is back though, it will not be as the 13th/14th forward.

He's one of the only bottom 6 guys that hasn't been a healthy scratch even once this season. Even Tootoo was a healthy scratch one measly time.

Every offseason a big topic is ''Gionta will be waived if we need to waive someone. Gionta will be the odd man out'' and it never happens. Last year was the first time it actually made sense, since it was a completely new regime behind the bench and upstairs. And then still nothing. So I think if he's back, he'll be in every night.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Definitely
Schlemko
Elias (if he wants)

Wouldn't mind but I think we have better options
Kennedy
Farnham

Hell ****ing no
Tootoo
Gionta
Ruutu
Tlusty

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If Gionta is back though, it will not be as the 13th/14th forward.

He's one of the only bottom 6 guys that hasn't been a healthy scratch even once this season. Even Tootoo was a healthy scratch one measly time.

Every offseason a big topic is ''Gionta will be waived if we need to waive someone. Gionta will be the odd man out'' and it never happens. Last year was the first time it actually made sense, since it was a completely new regime behind the bench and upstairs. And then still nothing. So I think if he's back, he'll be in every night.

So then bring him back. There is a reason that through 3 coaching changes he still plays every night. He is a player coaches can trust and rely on defensively. You're proving my point to keep him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So then bring him back. There is a reason that through 3 coaching changes he still plays every night. He is a player coaches can trust and rely on defensively. You're proving my point to keep him.

We have better options for the 4th line than him.

And if we keep him, that means an offensively allergic player like Josefson and Kalinin or probably Kennedy would be on the 3rd line again.

And then we have another season of watching our 3rd liners struggle to break the 15 and 20 point barrier.

Which was a huge reason why we were the worst offensive team in the league this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad