Who would win a 7 game playoff series Leafs or Oilers?

Oilers vs Leafs

• Total voters

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The real issue here is neutralizing McDavid and Draisaitl. Which team has been able to do that with any regularity? And more over, you do realise that Nugent Hopkins has more points this year than either Nylander or Tavares and that Yamamoto has 11 gals and 26 points in 27 games. Kassian has all of 2 points less than Kapanen in 10 fewer games and James Neal has more goals than All but Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Hyman.

Puh-lease.

Edmonton's a one(and a half) line team with questionable D and crappy Goaltending.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Matthews certainly took a step this season, healthy all year, 80 pts in 71 games certainly puts him with some of the best in the league, but I'm talking about a superstar player, not to make light of Matthews season but he did finish 30 pts behind the league leader, not particularly close. Even Mcdavid was 17 pts ahead of Matthews with 7 less games and recovering from a horrible injury and he battled with illness and another late season injury. Mcdavid season would have been considered somewhat disappointing, although still much better than Matthews has ever had frankly.

As for Marner, nice player for sure, had a terrific season last year, and he's been very consistent, a solid 60 pt winger in 3 of his 4 years, a superstar though? I mean every team in NHL has a 60-70 pt winger don't they?

Back to topic though, Oilers probably win in 5, IMO
So you wouldn't consider Ovie a super star either I guess? Good talk. Goals are what make Matthews special.

I suppose it is a matter of semantics. If you consider only 3 or 4 guys superstars...ok.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Wait, a team that makes the playoffs, hasn’t had their window open yet?

And you’re calling other people homers? Lol, good one.
No Tad... you kind of missed point, if one that just did make it and is not a sure thing usually has an open window, maybe the one that usually makes it has an open window to....

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
And yet that crappy team has more points than the Leafs, and has given up 10 less goals.

How many more points? How many games played? Why just goals against?

These arguments are stupid. It has been for several pages now.

It's close, as the poll indicates. However, please everyone continue to argue in circles.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No injuries to either team......I think it's fairly close actually and likely is an easy 6 or 7 game series.......winner is likely whoever has the hotter goalie.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The real issue here is neutralizing McDavid and Draisaitl. Which team has been able to do that with any regularity? And more over, you do realise that Nugent Hopkins has more points this year than either Nylander or Tavares and that Yamamoto has 11 gals and 26 points in 27 games. Kassian has all of 2 points less than Kapanen in 10 fewer games and James Neal has more goals than All but Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Hyman.
Yamamoto and Nugent Hopkins only have those gaudy point totals because they play with drai. If he neutered then the line is also neutered.

Same goes with mcdavid and kassian. Neuter mcdavid and you're good

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
How many more points? How many games played? Why just goals against?

These arguments are stupid. It has been for several pages now.

It's close, as the poll indicates. However, please everyone continue to argue in circles.
Because the post I responded to said the Oilers had crappy goal tending and defense. The reality is that these two teams are actually very similar in that they have high end talent and some serious flaws in parts of their roster. Anyone trying to suggest that one team has an obvious advantage over the other has very little evidence to back it up.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
.....in the weakest division in hockey.

And yet the Oilers have a winning record (In the Bettman sense see post #264) vs the Atlantic. Specifically, the Oilers had a 6-5-3 vs the Atlantic while the Leafs had a 7-5-2 record vs the Pacific.

Against current playoff teams the Oilers record is 18-12-5 vs 15-15-5 for the Leafs so you might want to rethink your argument.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
And yet the Oilers have a winning record vs the Atlantic. Specifically, the Oilers had a 6-5-3 vs the Atlantic while the Leafs had a 7-5-2 record vs the Pacific.

Against current playoff teams the Oilers record is 18-12-5 vs 15-15-5 for the Leafs so you might want to rethink your argument.

6-5-3 vs. the Atlantic is not a winning record.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
6-5-3 vs. the Atlantic is not a winning record.

Point taken. However nor is 7-5-2 in that context. Though frankly I am of an age where there were ties so I don't really know what is viewed as a winning record in today's NHL. The real point is that there is no evidence to support the statement that the Oilers record is a reflection of their success vs weak teams rather than strong teams.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
literally anyone can. they ain't gonna be scoring multiple points every night
So your position is … No one on the Oilers can score if Draisaitl and McDavid are neutralized and everyone on the Leafs is capable of neutralizing both players on a nightly basis. Wow! I wonder why no one thinks of doing that in the regular season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
So your position is … No one on the Oilers can score if Draisaitl and McDavid are neutralized and everyone on the Leafs is capable of neutralizing both players on a nightly basis. Wow! I wonder why no one thinks of doing that in the regular season.

Someone, also has to stop the higher scoring Leafs, on a weaker goaltender.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Someone, also has to stop the higher scoring Leafs, on a weaker goaltender.
I agree that the Leafs have a lot of offensive talent. But are they really that much higher scoring? On the season they have 13 more goals. But what about of late. Pretty much anyone who watches the Oilers realises that December was horrific. And before that all of the scoring came from McDavid and Draisaitl. It was almost like a switch got turned on on Jan 1. Since then their depth scoring kicked in and they added Yamamoto as well as AA and Ennis. From Jan 1st onward the Oilers have scored 100 goals in 29 games. That is the fourth highest total in that period and second highest behind only Philly at 3.45 GF/GP. An in 7 of those games they played without McDavid. Kelfbom also missed 9 games. Of course the Leafs also had injuries during that period, with Rielly missing most of it. But the Oilers did outscore the Leafs by 8 goals from January onward. So its probably not accurate to assume that when the season was suspended the Leafs offense was more effective then the Oilers.

As far as golies are concerned, outside of December, the Oilers goalies have been fine this year. In fact, they were playing very well when the season was suspended. I know Campbell with a .915 SV% in his 6 games was playing well but Andersen had really struggled. Since Jan 1 Koskinen has a .929 SV% and Smith has a .911 SV%. So it would be hard to argue that the Leafs were going into the playoffs with hotter goaltending.

As I said previously, these two teams both have high end players and both have flaws. Arguing that one team is the clear favourite seems to be a challenge to me.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oilers in 5. They have the 2 best players in the series by far, a significantly better defense, better special teams, and are a lot bigger/more physical. Leafs have better forward depth and a slightly better goalie but that’s it. Oilers also have a better coach.
The Oilers have a better coach?!?! Lol you dont know that. Unreal comment.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
This is funny. A team that never even makes the playoffs, is a complete mess, not really any good at forward, d, goaltending, or anything, vs a team thats finished top 10 in the NHL every year for a few years now.

The leafs. Probably 4 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad