Who would win a 7 game playoff series Leafs or Oilers?

Oilers vs Leafs

• Total voters

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
:edmonton
Tyler Ennis - Connor McDavid - Zack Kassian
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Leon Draisaitl - Kailer Yamamoto
Andreas Athanasiou - Riley Sheahan -Josh Archibald
Jujhar Khaira - Gaetan Haas - Alex Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
K.Russell-Benning

Koskinen

:leafs
Zach Hyman Auston Matthews Mitch Marner
Ilya Mikheyev John Tavares William Nylander
Andreas Johnsson Alex Kerfoot Kasperi Kapanen
Pierre Engvall Jason Spezza kyle clifford

Morgan Rielly Tyson Barrie
Jake Muzzin Justin Holl
Travis Dermott Cody Ceci

Andersen

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Close. Could come down to goaltending. Leafs for depth at forward, while the d could go either way. Not including Sandin seems kinda silly imo as he's miles better then Ceci. Mcdavid /Drai combo is tough to match /contain so obviously a huge wildcard factor. Leafs in 7 but im not super confident in the proclamation. Leafs pk is also weak; I see that as a further hurdle to overcome.

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
Close. Could come down to goaltending. Leafs for depth at forward, while the d could go either way. Not including Sandin seems kinda silly imo as he's miles better then Ceci. Mcdavid /Drai combo is tough to match /contain so obviously a huge wildcard factor. Leafs in 7 but im not super confident doing so.

Went with experience here could replace him for Sandin.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Dermott has a fair bit of experience playing the right side (tho not at the nhl level in general) so I'm taking a small leap but as far as talent /iq it's a no contest. I get your rationale given playoff/vet connection.

Reactions: Sundin92

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Edmonton could win a 7 game series, but McD and Drai would have to be playing 30 minutes a night. It's why I don't see Edmonton having any prolonged playoff success.

Reactions: mouz135 and Voight

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Probably the Leafs. Edmonton has no depth and the powerplays are limited in the post season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Jones is our 3rd pairing LHD.

I think it would be close, the Oilers are a much more physical team and the Leafs tend to fold when games get physical and nasty. I think in playoff type hockey the Oilers could have an edge, but I’d also give the goaltending edge to the Leafs so could go either way.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Edm has way better top end forwards, Toronto has a deeper forward group. Both have terrible defense and average goaltending. Probably a coinflip.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Leafs in 5. Just the superior team in every aspect.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
The Oilers were playing like the worst team in the NHL before the stoppage so I'll say the leafs wipe the floor with them.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Leafs are better on forward, defence, goaltending, and (obviously) coaching.

From the perspective of a hockey fan without a preferred team, this would be a quick series

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd put Neal in somewhere in bottom 6. I'm okay with Russel in for Jones to start the series.

My short answer, assuming everyone healthy, is that it goes to 7.

From the Edmonton perspective:

Good
We were injury destroyed and would now be healthy
Our 2nd line is molten hot
Drai and Connor are split up so you can target Connor but Drai's line would be left to weaker defending OR go after Drai's line and leave Connor alone. Good luck.
Drai and Connor 'only' have to be good for 4 games and I can't think of one instance all season where they both stunk for 4 games
Klef is healthy now (I assume) and he's a huge part of our D as he slots everyone into their proper positions

Bad
McDavid has no chemistry on top line.. they've rotated in about 6 different guys going into the season delay (Chiasson, Gagner, Archibald, Kassian, Ennis and AA all played with McD in his last 10 games)
Andersson is better than both our goalies
I actually have no idea which goalie is our starter
We don't have much bottom 6 scoring (although the Neal line was doing a nice little job pre break)
The new guys (Green, Ennis and AA) needed more time to adjust

Toronto would be healthy with a healthy D. I know they have more depth on forward but I doubt their Top 6 forwards (combined) scored more than our Top 6 forwards (combined). Individually though, once you get past RNH... whoever our 4th guy is (Yam) then Toronto's guy is better (Nylander). We don't have a Kapanan quality guy flying around in middle 6. Not sure if Jonsson would've been ready (8 weeks on February 14th so probably yes)

The great news!
We both made the Stanley Cup finals.. first time an all Canadian final since the 80's!

The winner is Canada and the CBC!

Reactions: Dominance

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oilers Top 6 forwards: 359 points

upload_2020-4-10_13-36-8.png

Leafs Top 6 forwards: 339 points

upload_2020-4-10_13-37-23.png

Thought I'd look into my own argument.lol Oil top 6 with 20 more points. Leaf forwards much more balanced as their 4th to 6th scorers destroy ours... eg. 6th place Kapanan has more points than 4th place Kassian.

Could be noted that Yam has been a .ppg player and hasn't played as many games.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Oilers Top 6 forwards: 359 points

View attachment 341279

Leafs Top 6 forwards: 339 points

View attachment 341280

Thought I'd look into my own argument.lol Oil top 6 with 20 more points. Leaf forwards much more balanced as their 4th to 6th scorers destroy ours... eg. 6th place Kapanan has more points than 4th place Kassian.

Could be noted that Yam has been a .ppg player and hasn't played as many games.
The fact that Yamamoto is in the top 6 for oilers scoring highlights how poor their depth is

Reactions: Voight

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The fact that Yamamoto is in the top 6 for oilers scoring highlights how poor their depth is
He's a .ppg game player and a first rounder. He's also part of the hottest line in the NHL since January 1st. His arrival was a huge part in us being in a playoff spot. He's really quite good!

upload_2020-4-10_14-16-27.png

Since January 1st for all NHL players:

upload_2020-4-10_14-18-12.png

Same amount of points as Tavares, Petterson, Giroux and Eichel in less games.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I had to look... it was already up: Here are the Leafs scorers since January 1st

upload_2020-4-10_14-20-44.png

He'd be tied for 3rd with Tavares with a higher .ppg average due to playing less games.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I had to look... it was already up: Here are the Leafs scorers since January 1st

View attachment 341289

He'd be tied for 3rd with Tavares with a higher .ppg average due to playing less games.
He's still very much unknown. No one can tell whether he'd make an impact, 25 games is not much. I mean Cory Conacher was ppg through his first 20 NHL games.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He's still very much unknown. No one can tell whether he'd make an impact, 25 games is not much. I mean Cory Conacher was ppg through his first 20 NHL games.
I agree about the small sample size part but you are comparing an undrafted guy who had 20 points in 35 games with a first rounder who has 25 points in 26 games.

I don't personally consider a teams first rounders and top prospects unknown.

My bigger assumption is that people that think kailer isn't a great player see his height and have never seen him play this season.

Reactions: Coffey

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not like Draisaitl was bouncing pucks off him. He came in, worked hard every single shift, and made the Oilers better because of it. Realistically, he turned the Oilers season around. The team they were in 2020 with him on the team was significantly better than the one playing in 2019. Not saying he's a superstar, but I'm convinced he's a legit top 6 player.

Yamamoto was the missing ingredient that turned the Oilers second line into the best line in hockey for 3 months. If people are trying to discredit him, they aren't worth talking to because they don't know what they're talking about. Take no time out of your day to correct an ignorant Leafs fan. Just walk away from this thread.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Close. Could come down to goaltending. Leafs for depth at forward, while the d could go either way. Not including Sandin seems kinda silly imo as he's miles better then Ceci. Mcdavid /Drai combo is tough to match /contain so obviously a huge wildcard factor. Leafs in 7 but im not super confident in the proclamation. Leafs pk is also weak; I see that as a further hurdle to overcome.

Agree here but took the Oilers but it would be a close tossup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad