Who would the Leafs have drafted...

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Me and a friend were having a debate recently about the second 1st round pick we traded to Boston.

We were debating and who Burke would of drafted if he had kept that pick.

I think, if he has the 8th OA pick, it would of been a no brainer, and he would have drafted Dougie Hamilton. Imo Hamilton was an obvious choice, I think he will be the best player in the whole Kessel trade, God knows how he fell so far.

My friend thinks he wouldn't of drafted Brodin, or moved up a spot for Couts.

What do you think?

Leafs For Life*

I don't see why Philly didn't pick Hamilton over Couturier though, picked biggest strength over biggest future need.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Too many variables in my opinion when it comes to 'who would you have picked with this pick' due to all the possibilities of trades as you mentioned. In hindsight when it comes to picking players sure you can say 'should have' picked so and so, but I believe we have to assume that they would pick the player that was taken with that pick.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I don't see why Philly didn't pick Hamilton over Couturier though, picked biggest strength over biggest future need.

BPA. At that point, it's always BPA. Dougie will be great but Couts is already a stud and has nowhere to go but up.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario

No it wasn't. The Flyers traded Richards and Carter, their two best centers, before Couturier was selected.

Also, if you watch the draft, the Flyers say they did not expect Couturier to drop, however there were rumblings that it was possible. Trading Carter and Richards the day before the draft kinda shows where they were picking, if it in fact did occur, which it did.

I wouldn't question Paul Holmgrem.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
This is a stupid thread and a pointless discussion to even have because the Leafs would have finished worse if Kessel wasn't on the team. Who knows how high they pick and who they pick and even if you have some kind of guess, it's best not to even think about as a fan of this team.

DaveT83*

This is a stupid thread and a pointless discussion to even have because the Leafs would have finished worse if Kessel wasn't on the team. Who knows how high they pick and who they pick and even if you have some kind of guess, it's best not to even think about as a fan of this team.

Your probably right - except for the bolded. Denial isn't healthy.

But its also possible that Phil Kessel made the team worse. You know the whole -30 thing. Maybe inserting a plug on that top line might have netted us a few more points in the standings - and we'd be picking 11th+

Top10 in 2011 was a great class.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
it was actually 9th and ya probably a no brainer... we will see ... you can never be too sure when a player still playing with teenagers in the ohl... but dougie is pretty exciting... the leafs got an amazing defencman last draft... morgan riely or something... i foget his exact name but he tearing it up/

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No it wasn't. The Flyers traded Richards and Carter, their two best centers, before Couturier was selected.

Also, if you watch the draft, the Flyers say they did not expect Couturier to drop, however there were rumblings that it was possible. Trading Carter and Richards the day before the draft kinda shows where they were picking, if it in fact did occur, which it did.

I wouldn't question Paul Holmgrem.

In fact the pick obtained from Columbus for Jeff Carter was used on Couturier. So Philly turned Richards and Carter into their future Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier & more.

As far as picking 9th and had Leafs been selecting with their own pick then Dougie Hamilton would have been the obvious selection at that point based on how the draft had unfolded up to that point. I'm suspecting that Hamilton will evolve to a player similar to St. Louis Blues Alex Pietrangelo..

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
The two picks that surprised me the most in that draft were Ottawa picking Zibanejad and Winnipeg taking Sheifele. I really thought the Sens would have taken Courturier. Also...looking back now, I would say the Isles made a mistake not taking Hamilton in the five slot. They could really use an impact blueliner as they already have some pretty good young forwards.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
verditct is still out on Dougie Hamilton. Still yet to play a game in the NHL. Not going to discredit what he has done thus far, just would prefer to judge him after hes played in the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would say the Isles made a mistake not taking Hamilton in the five slot. They could really use an impact blueliner as they already have some pretty good young forwards.

Except the 2012 entry draft the following year was top heavy in defenseman so the blueliner could be address as was with Griffin Reinhart for the NYI's.

So them taking Ryan Strome a center and leading OHL scorer now (32 games 22-40-62 points) and team Canada WJC representative in 2011 draft, and then planning for BPA defensman in 2012 was a pretty good plan on foresight. Now they have an elite Dman prospect and Centre in the prospect pool.

Hamilton would also have been a good selection for NYI in 2011 but then they wouldn't have a top forward prospect in the system. A 1 -2 punch of Tavares and Strome down the middle for NYI is going to payoff down the road.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
9th? Hamilton. In all likely hood we would have gotten a higher pick without Kessel likely moving our pick to nearly top 5. I'd say Couturier would have been a big target for Burke.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Except the 2012 entry draft the following year was top heavy in defenseman so the blueliner could be address as was with Griffin Reinhart for the NYI's.

So them taking Ryan Strome a center and leading OHL scorer now (32 games 22-40-62 points) and team Canada WJC representative in 2011 draft, and then planning for BPA defensman in 2012 was a pretty good plan on foresight. Now they have an elite Dman prospect and Centre in the prospect pool.

Hamilton would also have been a good selection for NYI in 2011 but then they wouldn't have a top forward prospect in the system. A 1 -2 punch of Tavares and Strome down the middle for NYI is going to payoff down the road.

Not completely disagreeing with you, but you can make an argument that Hamilton was BPA at #5 and Isles also needed a blueliner. Tough to make the decision on who to draft, based on what may or may not be coming down the pipe the following year, especially when you have no idea where you will be picking.

I like Strome as a player, but Hamilton looks a far better and more valueable prospect at this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad