Who would the Leafs have drafted...

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
It's pretty easy to say we could've selected Hall, RGH and whoever without Kessel. Too many factors, I'm pretty sure Columbus was ready to select Yakupov all year- that didn't turn out too well did it?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think it's fairly likely we would have drafted Hamilton. You can never know for sure, obviously, but on draft day once Couturier and Hamilton got picked, I think there was a general sense of "that's the end of the top tier of prospects, on to the next tier down where they're much less of a sure thing." I think Dougie would have been seen as a bit of a "no brainer" pick for most teams at 9th overall in 2011. So IF we hadn't dealt that pick, and IF we were still drafting 9th overall, my money would be on us drafting Dougie.

As for the 2010 draft, Seguin was the definition of a no brainer at 2nd overall. It was the Taylor/Tyler draft, nobody else was considered particularly close to these two. I think literally every team in the league would have gone with Seguin 2nd overall after Hall got picked 1st overall.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
It's pretty easy to say we could've selected Hall, RGH and whoever without Kessel. Too many factors, I'm pretty sure Columbus was ready to select Yakupov all year- that didn't turn out too well did it?

I heard Columbus always wanted Murray...

They risked taking a highly skilled russian over a well groomed and almost NHL ready player too many times. That argument was pretty popular around here.

Also at number 9 not 8, Couturier would have already been gone so Hamilton was clearly BPA. Also with this selection we may have very well ended up with Grigorenko this year. the BPA at 5 this year was Rielly/Grigorenko, how he fell that far is truly beyond me and it makes no sense what so ever, I would have been very happy with Grig this year

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
He's OPF 87 points in 68 games.

Most pts in OHL since Ellis in 08/09. Speaking of Which Ellis has 89 points... in 57 games. Was on pace for 106 pts. Crazy.

Before that was Kris Allen in '98.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
a better question would be if the Leafs never made the trade

would they have finished low in the standards?
therefore negating any high draft picks... along with Kessel

Mr Pringles

Jan 30, 2012
Hamilton
Really, a silly question

For all you know, we wouldnt of even picked Seguin a year before.

If we didnt have Kessel, for all we know, we could of did better or, we could of traded the pick for someone else,.

DaveT83*

a better question would be if the Leafs never made the trade

would they have finished low in the standards?
therefore negating any high draft picks... along with Kessel

Did Phil Kessel make our team better or worse. Thats the true question. Neither answer is good.
If he made us better we could have drafted 2 consequetive Franchise Stars. Which is what we desperately have needed for decades.

Or Phil actually made the team worse by being on the ice for 50+ goals against. Maybe a less flashy and more defensively sound player on that top line would have equated to a few more points in the standings - and begs the question: Why did we sign him in the first place?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Did Phil Kessel make our team better or worse. Thats the true question. Neither answer is good.
If he made us better we could have drafted 2 consequetive Franchise Stars. Which is what we desperately have needed for decades.

Or Phil actually made the team worse by being on the ice for 50+ goals against. Maybe a less flashy and more defensively sound player on that top line would have equated to a few more points in the standings - and begs the question: Why did we sign him in the first place?

Nobody knows for sure. And yes, it was all Kessel. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad