Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I don’t think that Canada would be as amazing as what people think. And yes I am saying this as a Canadian.

Forwards would be amazing and there would be many who don’t make the team who deserve to be on there. But when it comes to defence and goalies their is no comparison to the 2010 Canada team;

Luongo
Brodeur
Fleury

Niedermayer
Prongers
Weber
Keith
Doughty
Boyle
Seabrook

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I gotta imagine Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron is still the 2nd line, which is insane to think about in 2023.

Same and if they don't completely dominate the game, you can always "break them up" and put everyone's dream of McDavid-Crosby-Mackinnon (or whoever as the third wheel lmao)

I don’t think that Canada would be as amazing as what people think. And yes I am saying this as a Canadian.

Forwards would be amazing and there would be many who don’t make the team who deserve to be on there. But when it comes to defence and goalies their is no comparison to the 2010 Canada team;

Luongo
Brodeur
Fleury

Niedermayer
Prongers
Weber
Keith
Doughty
Boyle
Seabrook
The forwards are imo way better, the defense are worse and the goalies are astronomically worse.

Reactions: HabsQC

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Team Canada would go with proven vets like they always do. So younger and upcoming stars wouldn't make it. The team wouldn't be much different from the past 1 to 2 years we've speculated dozens of times

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Depends on who the GM is assembling the team. A GM like Yzerman put a lot of emphasis on pre-existing chemistry between players, which is why he included players like Kunitz (with Crosby), Seabrook (with Keith), and to a lesser extent, Bergeron in 2010 (with Crosby). If you had suggested Kunitz for the 2014 Olympic team on here, you’d have plenty of blowhard posters saying KuNiTz WoUlD nEvEr MaKe TeAm CaNaDa!

Also, recency bias might be weighed more by some GMs, so including players like Horvat might not seem so ludicrous.

Reactions: CanuckCity

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Likely forgetting some guys but this would be a fun lineup. We need to develop more goalies, hopefully Cossa and Hart improve.

Crosby - Bergeron - Stone
PLD - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marner - Point - Stamkos
Huberdeau - Barzal - Scheifele

O'Reilly
Bedard

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Ekblad
Theodore - Pietrangelo

Chabot

Jarry
Kuemper

• Haha
Reactions: Bijelo

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Likely forgetting some guys but this would be a fun lineup. We need to develop more goalies, hopefully Cossa and Hart improve.

Marner - Point - Stamkos

O'Reilly
Bedard

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Ekblad
Theodore - Pietrangelo

Chabot

Jarry
Kuemper

I think Marchand is on the team over one of PLD or Huberdeau.

Also think Konency may sneak in there somewhere, or as one of the extra forwards.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Marner - Point - Stamkos

O'Reilly
Bedard

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Ekblad
Theodore - Pietrangelo

Chabot

Jarry
Kuemper
Pretty good list, but I’d tweak the forwards a bit. Horvat over Barzal if the tournament was today; Horvat is currently 2nd in goals amongst Canadian players (while playing for a shitty team) and has a higher PPG ratio than Barzal. Horvat also steps it up in the playoffs/big games and could be a beast for Canada.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Pretty good list, but I’d tweak the forwards a bit. Horvat over Barzal if the tournament was today; Horvat is currently 2nd in goals amongst Canadian players (while playing for a shitty team) and has a higher PPG ratio than Barzal. Horvat also steps it up in the playoffs/big games and could be a beast for Canada.

I think Barzal would make it over Horvat, same reason I doubt that you'd see Nugent Hopkins on the team, even though he's top 10 in points this year.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
MacKinnon-McDavid-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Tavares-Stamkos-Scheifele
PLD-Point-Stone

Toews-Makar
Morrissey-Ekblad
Theodore-Pietrangelo

Kuemper
Fleury
(Left out Jarry because he's injured)

All wingers are on their correct wing. All D are on their correct side except Theodore.

Went with:

Scoring line
Two-way line
Scoring line
Two-way line

D-Pairs 1 and 3 should have chemistry, and Morrissey and Ekblad should compliment each other well.

Biggest hole for Canada is goaltending, and their defence used to be #1 in the world but isn't anymore.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
MacKinnon-McDavid-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Tavares-Stamkos-Scheifele
PLD-Point-Stone

Toews-Makar
Morrissey-Ekblad
Theodore-Pietrangelo

Kuemper
Fleury
(Left out Jarry because he's injured)

All wingers are on their correct wing. All D are on their correct side except Theodore.

Went with:

Scoring line
Two-way line
Scoring line
Two-way line

D-Pairs 1 and 3 should have chemistry, and Morrissey and Ekblad should compliment each other well.

Biggest hole for Canada is goaltending, and their defence used to be #1 in the world but isn't anymore.
Basically perfect, wouldnt change anything.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think Barzal would make it over Horvat, same reason I doubt that you'd see Nugent Hopkins on the team, even though he's top 10 in points this year.
RNH plays with McDavid on the 1st unit PP and isn’t as prolific a goal scorer as Horvat.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Mackinnon-McDavid-Marner
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stone-Stamkos-PLD
Horvat-Tavares-Barzal

Morissey-Makar
Montour-Dobson
Pietrangelo-Hamilton

Jones
Thompson
Murray

Tbh id rather just put Bedard on the 4th line instead of Horvat but that would obviously never fly

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
RNH plays with McDavid on the 1st unit PP and isn’t as prolific a goal scorer as Horvat.

True, but comparatively look who Barzal plays with on the Islanders. There's not a lot of great offensive minded players on that team. That's why I think he'd get picked over Horvat despite having numbers that aren't as good.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Can Crosby handle that he is just complementary player and it is McDavid's team? Will he take A or let young stars have it and be only veteran presence on a team?

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
If you are serious about competing for a gold medal - then this is the team you need.

Bergeron in a different role. And a few of the seasoned vets like ROR, Stone are not up to the task (if this were an Olympic year) although, there still may be room for Stone. I'm back and forth on him the past two seasons. but if pressed on a roster today, he's out.

And yes, Bunting is a bold selection. but he deserves to be included.

Need to find TOI for Konecny. most likely on a line with his cousin Bo.

Breaks my heart to leave Chabot off the team. The guy bleeds maple syrup....but Morrissey stole his spot.

P.L. DUBOIS​
C MCDAVID​
M MARNER​
B MARCHAND​
S CROSBY​
N MACKINNON​
B HORVAT​
B POINT​
S STAMKOS​
M BUNTING​
P BERGERON​
M SCHEIFELE​

T KONECNY M BARZAL​

D TOWES​
C MAKAR​
S THEODORE​
A PIETRANGELO​
J MORRISSEY​
A EKBLAD​
A PELECH​
N DOBSON​

D KUEMPER​
C HART​
T JARRY​

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Marchand-MacKinnon-Crosby

They Train together, built in chemistry, should be the best line in any international tournament

Horvat-McDavid-Konecny

I havé a difficult time deciding who to put with McDavid; I’ll go with one winger good at puck retrieval (Konecny) and one good at finishing and face offs (Horvat)

Kyrou-Point-Stephenson

Sprint relay team, and Stephenson and Point are good defensive and face off options. Stephenson is a surprise inclusion but can skate like the wind and has amongst the best face off % in the league

Dubois-Cozens-Stamkos

Thought about going defensive line with Stone-Bergeron-Cirelli, but with an elite playmaker, finisher, and puck retriever, this line would be the best 4th line at the tournament

Other options
Thomas
Marner
Bergeron
Stone
Cirelli
Bédard
Nugent-Hopkins
Hyman
Batherson
Suzuki

Toews-Makar

No explanation needed, best defensemen in the world and his club team partner

Morrisey-Hamilton

Puck Moving pair both having career years

Theodore-Pietrangelo

Club teammates and both having good years (Theodore currently injured)

Other options

Chabot
Weegar
Ekblad
Power
Byram
Doughty
Dobson
Nurse
Chychrun

In net

Some guy
Some other guy

Atrocious options now that Price is basically retired, hockey Canada needs to figure out why the country that produces the best players at every other position can’t produce goaltenders recently

Reactions: Eye of Ra

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Horvat - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Stamkos - Point - Marner
Dubois - Scheifele- Stone
Kyrou, Konecny

Toews - Makar
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Morrissey - Ekblad
Dobson

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Horvat-McDavid-Marner
Dubois-MacKinnon-Kyrou
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Point-Stamkos-Konecny
Stone, Cozens/Barzal/Thomas

Toews-Makar
Morrissey-Ekblad
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Dobson, Chychrun/Rielly/Chabot

Jarry
Kuemper
Hart/Skinner/Murray

People bemoan the goaltending too much when it’s all a matter of who’s not any given year. What we really need is for our forward prospects to start panning out so that we can re-establish an insurmountable edge in the quality of the lines we can roll. The number of top-10 picks who have failed to become stars post-2015 is sickening; if any two of Jost, Patrick, Glass, Tippett, Vilardi, Hayton, Dach, Lafreniere and Byfield had really risen up to star status by now, I would feel a lot more confident in our position at the top.

Reactions: ForsbergForever

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Horvat-McDavid-Marner
Dubois-MacKinnon-Kyrou
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Point-Stamkos-Konecny
Stone, Cozens/Barzal/Thomas

Toews-Makar
Morrissey-Ekblad
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Dobson, Chychrun/Rielly/Chabot

Jarry
Kuemper
Hart/Skinner/Murray

People bemoan the goaltending too much when it’s all a matter of who’s not any given year. What we really need is for our forward prospects to start panning out so that we can re-establish an insurmountable edge in the quality of the lines we can roll. The number of top-10 picks who have failed to become stars post-2015 is sickening; if any two of Jost, Patrick, Glass, Tippett, Vilardi, Hayton, Dach, Lafreniere and Byfield had really risen up to star status by now, I would feel a lot more confident in our position at the top.

What do the majority of those players have in common? fast-tracked to the NHL by their idiot GMs? Jost maybe not...made the idiot decision himself to leave college early...or perhaps with some team pressure, who knows for sure.

regardless, if your name isn't Crosby, McDavid or Bedard. stay the in junior, stay in college. you listening Fantilli? maybe not. And I hit the ignore user button on every HF poster who writes the idiotic words "He ain't got nothing left to learn in junior. I think I'm up to 125 on my ignore list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad