OT: Who would be YOUR coaching staff?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As mad as I am about Todd's coaching this year, I feel like he's still a good Xs and O's coach. I think if he could actually learn to adapt and fix the special teams, he'd be a pretty damn good coach. Unfortunately I think he's lost the room and so it's pointless to keep him around.

Ideally I'd like to grab someone like Sergei Gonchar for defensive coach, he's been a Wizard for the pens there. I don't have too many other names off the top of my head but I'd like to try an up and coming young guy. The coaches who impressed me most lately have been that sort: Cooper, Sullivan. I don't think hiring experience for its own sake is really a good idea.

Gonchar would be good. Not sure he’d take a lateral move?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Gonchar would be good. Not sure he’d take a lateral move?

I don't think he would. I was more thinking of him as the type of Assistant I'd be looking for - someone who's shown the ability to really grow his players. I wonder how Gonchar would do as a HC...but I'd hesitant to gamble on a guy who's just been an assistant his whole coaching career.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't think he would. I was more thinking of him as the type of Assistant I'd be looking for - someone who's shown the ability to really grow his players. I wonder how Gonchar would do as a HC...but I'd hesitant to gamble on a guy who's just been an assistant his whole coaching career.

He might be a guy you can get to HC at Bakersfield. An NHL ex player who is successful as an Asst C in the NHL who needs to cut his teeth as a HC at a high level in North America. It would be a stepping stone position which would probably last 2 years max if he’s successful as other teams would want to hire him away, or he’s replacing TMac 2 years down the road, or perhaps promoted to Associate Coach in Edm.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He might be a guy you can get to HC at Bakersfield. An NHL ex player who is successful as an Asst C in the NHL who needs to cut his teeth as a HC at a high level in North America. It would be a stepping stone position which would probably last 2 years max if he’s successful as other teams would want to hire him away, or he’s replacing TMac 2 years down the road, or perhaps promoted to Associate Coach in Edm.

That's an interesting thought. We definitely could use an upgrade on Fleming and I could see Gonchar looking to take over a team to prove himself. I'm down!

Also, with him as our AHL coach maybe we could finally learn how to develop European skill players?! (Especially Russians?!?!)

Reactions: Night Witch

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Sutter without question. Nelson assisting. Both get the most out of players and thats our biggest problem.
Coffey for the other assistant to pacify the 4 5 or 6 GMs and the owner. (Nicholson Lowe Howson Mactavish Chiarelli possibly Gretzky Gretzky)

Sutter would be a problem as the GMs may be intimidated.

Or

Hire the entire Sutter family to replace GMs and coaches.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's an interesting thought. We definitely could use an upgrade on Fleming and I could see Gonchar looking to take over a team to prove himself. I'm down!

Also, with him as our AHL coach maybe we could finally learn how to develop European skill players?! (Especially Russians?!?!)

I like the former NHL player like a Travis Green in the AHL running the team. Coach is hungry to move up. Coach has been in the show and can help develop players games and help them with what it takes to compete and stick as an every day NHL player.

Would be interesting to see the dynamic of a Russian HC at the A or NHL!

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad