OT: Who would be YOUR coaching staff?

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I would keep Todd as a HC for one more year but I would send his Associates to the moon and have the following...

HC: Todd McLellan
-Give him one more year with new support.

AC: Ralph Krueger
-Players seemed to like him, had great special teams. Let him run the PP and PK.

AC: Adam Oates
-Played for a year in Edmonton so there is some familiarity with the city. A great skills coach.

AC: Paul Coffey
-He's on the payroll already. Let him run the D.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I would keep Todd as a HC for one more year but I would send his Associates to the moon and have the following...

HC: Todd McLellan
-Give him one more year with new support.

AC: Ralph Krueger
-Players seemed to like him, had great special teams. Let him run the PP and PK.

AC: Adam Oates
-Played for a year in Edmonton so there is some familiarity with the city. A great skills coach.

AC: Paul Coffey
-He's on the payroll already. Let him run the D.

There's no way Krueger is coming back, especially if MacT is still employed by the organization.

Oates would be interesting, but I think I'd rather hire him into a player development role, rather than a coaching position.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Head Coach: Darryl Sutter

Special Teams Coach: Ralph Krueger

Skills Coaches: Adam Oates and Paul Coffey

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As mad as I am about Todd's coaching this year, I feel like he's still a good Xs and O's coach. I think if he could actually learn to adapt and fix the special teams, he'd be a pretty damn good coach. Unfortunately I think he's lost the room and so it's pointless to keep him around.

Ideally I'd like to grab someone like Sergei Gonchar for defensive coach, he's been a Wizard for the pens there. I don't have too many other names off the top of my head but I'd like to try an up and coming young guy. The coaches who impressed me most lately have been that sort: Cooper, Sullivan. I don't think hiring experience for its own sake is really a good idea.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know what traits I would want in a coach, but I dont honestly know enough about the coaches to even give an answer.

Reactions: Aerrol

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
As mad as I am about Todd's coaching this year, I feel like he's still a good Xs and O's coach. I think if he could actually learn to adapt and fix the special teams, he'd be a pretty damn good coach. Unfortunately I think he's lost the room and so it's pointless to keep him around.

Ideally I'd like to grab someone like Sergei Gonchar for defensive coach, he's been a Wizard for the pens there. I don't have too many other names off the top of my head but I'd like to try an up and coming young guy. The coaches who impressed me most lately have been that sort: Cooper, Sullivan. I don't think hiring experience for its own sake is really a good idea.

I hear the San Diego Gulls are pretty decent in the AHL, I wonder if their coach would be available...

I don't know enough about assistant coaches to really say, I just know that having the same crew come back next season after the way the special teams played this season would be absolutely unacceptable. As much as everyone likes to point out the flawed roster, bad goaltending, etc., ultimately if this team has top 10 special teams we're talking about a completely different season, and probably playoffs.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
There's no way Krueger is coming back, especially if MacT is still employed by the organization.

Oates would be interesting, but I think I'd rather hire him into a player development role, rather than a coaching position.

You never know. Ralph doesn't seem like the kind of person who would hold a grudge. Mac T is far down the employment ladder now.

Money talks.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Don´t want a coach who´s a pass around Paul who´s been in the league and won nothing for 20 years. There´s a reason these people are fired.

We should try giving a newer coach with fresh attacking ideas a chance.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oh? At risk of being fired?

a buddy of mine who blogs about the EPL has had several sit downs with Ralph since he took over southampton and was never turned down. Three requests in March were sent back and a jr staff member was sent for the interview instead. Krugar never turns down interviews and some other stuff. He has been somewhat silence for awhile and many southhampton insiders are saying he could be sacked

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Head Coach: Bryan Watson

He deserves a second chance. I can only imagine how much better the team would have done before that hack Sather took over.

AC: George Burnett

Burnie from the Bronx. No one called him that. He's from Port Perry. Dumb nickname. Easy hire.

AC: Dallas Eakins

The eye of the storm. The Great White Hope. First thing we need is for those fat pig journalists to get fruits/vegetables during pressers. Healthier press=better press=more positive spins on our team. Solid hire.

AC: Kelly Buchburger

Buchy will give longs speeches on the attributes and pride of being an Oiler. Before and after every period. He will demonstrate his willingness to bleed for the team by getting his face beat in before every game, just like when he was a player. What a warrior.

Really, with this lineup we're probably walking out next season with at least 60 wins.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You never know. Ralph doesn't seem like the kind of person who would hold a grudge. Mac T is far down the employment ladder now.

Money talks.

He probably makes more in the EPL than he ever would to come back to an organization that shafted him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Money talks.
He currently makes more than any Nhl GM or president of hockey ops so I doubt he comes back to coach as an assistant. Pens offered him head coach a few years ago and he turned it down.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't even care if this guy doesn't even coach hockey, hire him as something.

At least it would be entertaining.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Keep TMac. Don’t renew any assistants because TMac has been with the same group for too long now.

Hire him an Associate Coach whose been a successful HC in the NHL before similar to how John Stevens was in LA with Darryl Sutter or other many examples of this.

Your second bench coach should be someone who excels at communication and development and who is also highly experienced assistant coach at the NHL level.

Your third assistant coach, usually the eye in the sky, someone skilled at systems and breaking down what’s going on. Younger

Skills coach will be Coffey. I don’t see a problem having one of the most skilled players in the history of the game who has coaching experience at AAA Midget teaching skills to NHL players and prospects.

Goalie Coach, I think it’s time to move on here. I’d like to see a “name” goalie coach come in, a guy with a proven track record at an elite level. But I think all the “name” guys are under contract heading into next year. If so, hire the guy who turned Hellebuycks game around this summer.

Bakersfield, get in a former player whose showing a strong track record at the Jr or Collegiate level and / or as a successful NHL assistant coach. Surround him with good developmental coaches.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Todd Nelson for Head coach and whomever he wants to hire as his shotgun riders...

He has the right attitude and there is very little value in retread NHL coaches who have worn out their welcome elsewhere.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
For now, McLellan as head coach, unless a better option comes up on the market. It may not be a popular opinion but I'd love to see Charlie Huddy back as an assistant once his contract expires this summer. Him and Coffey working with the defense... good grief.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This is one topic I'm so torn on. Do we go after a tried and true vet coach like Vigneault/Sutter or do we take another shot on an inexperienced coach like Knoblauch who has had success everywhere he has coached and a good track record with young players but no NHL experience and hope we find the next Cooper/Gallant/Sullivan. I do like Adam Oates but I am unsure about his ability as a head coach, he had a rough go previously but I feel that the way the league is trending he may find more success the second time around. Regardless I think he could help with our special teams and could also help individual players improve.

Regardless of who they choose I hope McDavid is consulted and is involved in the process. He's our most important player and will be for the next decade. It's important that him and the head coach are on the same page and have a good relationship. Look at Crosby in Pittsburgh, it was widely speculated that he wasn't happy playing under Mike Johnston, they made a change to a guy that Crosby was comfortable with and look what it did for that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad