Speculation: Who will we draft ?

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I'm not a fan of the idea to trade down instead of drafting Dahlin. Draft Dahlin and solve defensive depth issues from there, he is absolutely too good to pass up. As for a realistic expectation, if Joseph Veleno can drop a few spots to us, I'd like the Stars to draft him.

Some random prospect report on Veleno that summarizes him pretty well.

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I'm not a fan of the idea to trade down instead of drafting Dahlin. Draft Dahlin and solve defensive depth issues from there, he is absolutely too good to pass up. As for a realistic expectation, if Joseph Veleno can drop a few spots to us, I'd like the Stars to draft him.

Some random prospect report on Veleno that summarizes him pretty well.

I think there biggest issue is offensive depth and goaltending right now . They don’t have a single player in the system who’s a lock to be a top 6 scorer . Svechnikov was scoring at the same pace as McDavid when he was in the ohl . Not as many assists but he’s a goal scoring machine . I honestly don’t see why there’s so much hype over dahlin , he’s definately gonna be a good defenseman but he’s not outstanding enough to be a lock at number one if the team picking is lacking offence .

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I think there biggest issue is offensive depth and goaltending right now . They don’t have a single player in the system who’s a lock to be a top 6 scorer . Svechnikov was scoring at the same pace as McDavid when he was in the ohl . Not as many assists but he’s a goal scoring machine . I honestly don’t see why there’s so much hype over dahlin , he’s definately gonna be a good defenseman but he’s not outstanding enough to be a lock at number one if the team picking is lacking offence .
I agree that offensive depth is an issue but i disagree that letting Dahlin get away to draft Svechnikov or Zadina is the right solution. Dahlin will likely be a number #1 d man for the next 15 to 20 years. There's a reason he's cemented in the rank one position. But nevertheless, i think we are dreaming for even considering this circumstance. If we get #1 in the lottery and know whos got 2nd and 3rd, then maybe proposals can be formulated towards those specific teams if they have something we need. Those are a lot of variables, i think we're going to be drafting in the 13 - 15 range, so I'm more focused on those prospects rather than dream for a miracle that would turn the franchise around.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
After I wrote the above post, I did a lottery simulation once (for the first time) and Dallas got the #1 pick. Fml

Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
{Are people actually suggesting there's a competition for #1 this year?}

lmaoooooo

Dahlin is the best defensive prospect to enter the draft since Doughty or Hedman.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
After I wrote the above post, I did a lottery simulation once (for the first time) and Dallas got the #1 pick. Fml

Same thing happened to me but it was my 3rd time but still....:( getting my hopes up for no reason

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
{Are people actually suggesting there's a competition for #1 this year?}

lmaoooooo

Dahlin is the best defensive prospect to enter the draft since Doughty or Hedman.
Yea there is , how do you figure he’s that good ? 20 points in 41 games , +4 in the shl is not spectacular . If he was that good you think they would have played him more at the olympics . I’m not saying he’s not good and shouldn’t be picked 1st but people are talking about him like he’s the mcdavid of defenseman . Svechnikov is good enough he should be considered if the team picking is in need of a scoring winger . For nills sake though I would rather them get 2nd pick so there’s no contraversy.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I agree that offensive depth is an issue but i disagree that letting Dahlin get away to draft Svechnikov or Zadina is the right solution. Dahlin will likely be a number #1 d man for the next 15 to 20 years. There's a reason he's cemented in the rank one position. But nevertheless, i think we are dreaming for even considering this circumstance. If we get #1 in the lottery and know whos got 2nd and 3rd, then maybe proposals can be formulated towards those specific teams if they have something we need. Those are a lot of variables, i think we're going to be drafting in the 13 - 15 range, so I'm more focused on those prospects rather than dream for a miracle that would turn the franchise around.
Ya your right , i think if they end up in 13th I would like to see them take lundestrom if he’s available . He’s doing pretty well in the shl at 18. strong , smart centerman , already has 2 seasons in the shl under his belt . There’s a number of good defenseman who will be available this year too .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yea there is , how do you figure he’s that good ? 20 points in 41 games , +4 in the shl is not spectacular . If he was that good you think they would have played him more at the olympics . I’m not saying he’s not good and shouldn’t be picked 1st but people are talking about him like he’s the mcdavid of defenseman . Svechnikov is good enough he should be considered if the team picking is in need of a scoring winger . For nills sake though I would rather them get 2nd pick so there’s no contraversy.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Dahlin is playing like a freak in the SHL at 17 years old.

20 pts in 41 games is remarkable for a 17 year old playing defense in a men's league. To put things in perspective, when John Klingberg was 21 years old he scored 28 pts in 50 games.

Keep stat watching my dude.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
From talking to a few people who consistently watch both Liiga and SHL games. Heiskanen and Dahlin are the most exciting players to watch in their respective leagues. Heiskanen apparently has a little more polish than Dahlin, but that is likely because of the extra year of playing. But Dahlin is still the better prospect with more room to grow, interesting nevertheless. There would have to be one hell of a deal for Dallas to not take Dahlin if they #1. You'd essentially be giving up an almost guaranteed #1 D-man, which are typically the hardest thing to come by. Getting Zadina or Svechnikov would be nice, but the likelihood of them reaching their potential is much less than Dahlin. Draft Dahlin and figure out roster problems after. But like I said before, we are dreaming at this point for the stars to draft any of the 3.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Dahlin is playing like a freak in the SHL at 17 years old.

20 pts in 41 games is remarkable for a 17 year old playing defense in a men's league. To put things in perspective, when John Klingberg was 21 years old he scored 28 pts in 50 games.

Keep stat watching my dude.
I would say that he is playing very well for a 17 year old in the shl . Enough almost any team picks him 1st overall .Svechnikov is good enough to go first if the team needs a scorer .If you would like a comparison Connor McDavid scored 44 goals in 47 games in the ohl .hischer scored 38 in 57 . MacKinnon had 32 in 44 both in the q. Svechnikov has 40 in 44 in Ohl.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
From talking to a few people who consistently watch both Liiga and SHL games. Heiskanen and Dahlin are the most exciting players to watch in their respective leagues. Heiskanen apparently has a little more polish than Dahlin, but that is likely because of the extra year of playing. But Dahlin is still the better prospect with more room to grow, interesting nevertheless. There would have to be one hell of a deal for Dallas to not take Dahlin if they #1. You'd essentially be giving up an almost guaranteed #1 D-man, which are typically the hardest thing to come by. Getting Zadina or Svechnikov would be nice, but the likelihood of them reaching their potential is much less than Dahlin. Draft Dahlin and figure out roster problems after. But like I said before, we are dreaming at this point for the stars to draft any of the 3.
Was thinking the same thing when comparing the 2 . Heiskanen looks smoother and more confident in his puck handling , even last season . If heiskanen was 2 inches taller I would say he’s the better prospect . Dahlin has the edge for me just because of his room to grow and become a better all round , more physical player . Only reason I would possibly not take him 1st is because Svechnikov is in the same draft .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If we managed to win the draft and get Dahlin, holy cow, we could match NSH for D over the next few years, all firs and second round picks, young, mix of talents - Dahlin, Miro, JK, Lindell, Johns, Honka. Heatherington. Maybe Bayruther. Nice.

Of course, we would still be offensively challenged and would manage to trade one for some forward help.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
If we get lucky with draft lottery

#1 Dahlin, no questions asked.
#2-#3 Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk

If we don't get lucky we should go after center.

Getting Dahlin would lock our defence for future and we probably would trade some defenders for top6 forwards prospects in the coming years.

Getting really really promising winger would give us much neede improvement on the scoring and winger department.

And on center depth we are lacking the offensive center. If we can re-sign Seguin our #1 is locked for years but we are in need for offensive #2. Faksa is superb for #3 shutdown/defensive center.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Just a quick glimpse into a few of the prospects we have been discussing.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
It's nice to dream, but we should probably start discussing the players around 13 lol
I showed those videos to show what the top picks look like, and even though highlights only show a fraction of their game but it still is an insight. The last video I showed is Veleno, who is likely going to be drafted around 10 - 14, so he is a much more realistic option. In the video some analysts detail how his biggest issue was scoring, but in the past 20 games he has been on fire playing on an actual decent team.

This is definitely one of the better draft years in recent memory, but only time will tell.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I showed those videos to show what the top picks look like, and even though highlights only show a fraction of their game but it still is an insight. The last video I showed is Veleno, who is likely going to be drafted around 10 - 14, so he is a much more realistic option. In the video some analysts detail how his biggest issue was scoring, but in the past 20 games he has been on fire playing on an actual decent team.

This is definitely one of the better draft years in recent memory, but only time will tell.

I honestly haven't followed much of this year's draft besides the top 3. Didn't think we'd be in the lotto again like most. Veleno looks interesting. I'm hoping someone falls and Nill is so drunk he actually picks that player

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If a team knows we’re after Svechnikov instead of dahlin they would more than likely not do anything and just let dahlin fall to them .
Why on earth would we let that happen?

If we get 1st OA we take Dahlin, put Miro back on the right side and trade Honka for a Domi like player. D gets better, and we get a forward upgrade. There is no way a team doesnt take Dahlin wih the first pick

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Ok this clears things up. You have no idea what you are talking about. 20 in 41 at 17 in the SHL is stupidly good. He might not be the McDavid of D prospects but he is unanimously the #1 pick and deservingly so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad