Speculation: Who will the Kracken take from the Devils in the Expansion Draft?

Who will the Kracken take from the Devils in the Expansion Draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I tried to pick from the list and it was super tough. Some teams have a terrible crop of players. Ideally Kraken would probably want players between 23-30. Plus, some solid prospects. Additionally, the cap is a double edged sword. It helped to expose some good players but they are expensive, and may not be an ideal fit. Lastly, most teams just left people unsigned, meaning the Kraken would need a deal in place to make it worth taking a UFA and RFA.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I went with Johnsson which makes that trade even more stupid. Down year during Covid, had Covid which was bad for him, and he's gone. Just a dumb move in hindsight.

The Devils did not know in October of last year if Bastian or McLeod would meet the games played threshold (or Kuokkanen or Sharangovich). Part of the deal for Johnsson I think was the awareness that the expansion draft was coming, and depending on how things shook out, Johnsson could be a guy to expose. That's not the outcome the Devils were hoping for, but it was one possible outcome.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Not sure how anyone would be able to guess. It really depends on how their roster turns out. I doubt they will take johnsson or butcher tbh. Leaning torwards Merkley or Bastian.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Francis has permission to spend to the cap, can't believe he'd spend 3 million trying to squeeze value out of Johnsson instead of using that cap space on bigger names, but there's so many moving parts it's really hard to tell.

Tod Leiweke Q&A: On Kraken spending to the salary cap, Seattle's home opener, Vegas comparisons

I just have a hard time seeing them passing up guys like Byron and McCann and Jarnkrok just to take Johnsson.

And the D crop is excellent; there’s no reason for them to take Butcher, really.

I think it’ll be Merkley or Bastian. Hopefully Merkley.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
shoot, what are the rules. Do they have to pick 1 player from every team?

I'm trying to build a team atm but I have some teams I haven't picked from yet, may have to change things around.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I went with Johnsson which makes that trade even more stupid. Down year during Covid, had Covid which was bad for him, and he's gone. Just a dumb move in hindsight.
Huh? If they take johnsson that basically means it only cost Joey Anderson to add another protected slot

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To me it's going to be tough for Seattle to even come close to the success Vegas had out the gate. There really isn't all that much available from a quality standpoint.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I'm trying to build a team atm but I have some teams I haven't picked from yet, may have to change things around.

Yes, you have to pick one player from every team, but UFAs and RFAs are eligible. If for some reason the Kraken don't want anyone from the Devils' roster, they could take Josh Jacobs who is UFA, and then just let him walk in a week.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
So after doing this I think it will be either Johnsson or Bastian (or maybe a rando). There's just no way they'll have room for Subban, and they'd be dumb to pick Butcher.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

You have to pick 20 players under contract past this year. The rest can be pending UFAs or RFAs.

One player from every team.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Not sure why some people consider this choice 'hard', it's as easy as it gets, in this poll you have 4 players who have zero value at best (in reality negative value) and the 5th is Nathan Bastian. For 3 of those guys cap hits absolutely kill their value and Merkley is AHL tweener who cleared waivers twice. Bastian has been good 4th liner and those don't grow on trees, average 4th liners do, however good ones don't. If Seattle scouts have watched New Jersey games, there's no way they pick anyone else than Bastian.

Reactions: Guadana

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Butcher is the best at what he is currently. He played well enough, and greatly helped the power play at the end of last season. Bastion still has good potential.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If they're as analytics driven as roumored, I suspect there's a good chance they take Johnson for their checking line. His numbers are much better than his results last year.
The analytics show he isn’t the garbage can some posters make him out to be, but he’s not some must have for the Kraken. They may prefer the cap space to Johnsson’s 3.4m hit. His front loader deal helps make him more appealing though, he’s only owed a total of 5m in salary.

They aren’t going to have 31 player roster, they’ll pick some players to trade, some who are waiver exempt for their AHL team and some players will be drafted to walk away.

A lot depends on positional need too. There’s a lot of LD in play so it’s hard to see Butcher getting picked. Guys like Bean, Fleury and Kylington/Giordano all seem like likely targets. Butcher’s deal is a bit backloaded too, he’s he had a 3.733m cap hit but is owed 7.7m in salary. But if different players get selected then maybe he’s in play.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Yes Vegas has to pick from every team and they have to pick at least 3 goalies, 9 defensemen and 14 forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad