Speculation: Who will the Kracken take from the Devils in the Expansion Draft?

Who will the Kracken take from the Devils in the Expansion Draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
if rask plays anywhere other than boston, i'll eat my hat.
Pretty sure Rask outright said Boston or retirement and he’s having hip surgery so your hat is safe.

In my boring overly detailed thorough breakdown of Vegas’ Expansion Draft haul you can see a shortage of defensemen wasn’t a problem for Vegas. If they don’t take Butcher they ain’t trading for him.

Seattle has to draft at least nine defensemen, which is a lot, and Vegas had a big surplus of defensemen.

Vegas flipped four defensemen they got in the ED, Trevor van Riemsdyk, David Schlemko, Marc Mathot and Alexei Emelin, at or after the NHL Draft.

Both Jon Merrill and Griffin Reinhart were spare defensemen at the start of the year, sitting in the press box.

Reinhart went to the minors and then the KHL because he wasn’t a NHL player.* Edmonton continues the proud tradition of only having garbage on their Expansion Draft list this year.

Jon Merrill was the steal of the expansion draft and one of the biggest mistakes of Ray Shero’s professional career, or so I’ve been told. (And played 34 games in Vegas.)

*Fun Facts: 1) Trading a 2015 1st (#16) and 2015 (#53) for Reinhart, without any scouting on his AHL play, just the praise of his old Edm Oil Kings’s GM (“He’s a winner!”), was literally the first trade Peter Chiarelli made as the new Oilers GM. (See, he did address the defense, just not successfully.)

2) Boston got a 2017 2nd (EDM #53) for Chia, which they used to draft Jack Studnicka. (It was a conditional 2nd rounder from 2016 or 2017, it was Edmonton’s choice and Edmonton had the 2nd worst record in 2016 so it was an easy choice.) If a 2nd seems high it is, every other compensation pick was a 3rd except Canucks got a 2017 2nd (CBJ #55) for Torts from Jackets.

People seem to think the return of the compensation pick was a long time thing when it was only a dumb year long experiment that started on 1/1/15 and ended on 1/1/16, with eight total picks, three of which involved the Devils. It could have been four, but the Pens only got compensation for Hynes and waived it for Shero.

That’s right, if a team was hiring execs or coaches in 2015 it had a surcharge because the NHL was feeling creative. Hynes cost us 2016 3rd (NJD #72). We got a 2018 3rd (TOR #87), which we traded for Mojo, for Lou from the Leafs, and DeBoer got us a 2017 3rd (SJS #81 Walsh) from the Sharks.

There were only three other compensation picks: Toronto paid a 2017 3rd (TOR #79) to Detroit for Mike Babcock, who was hired on May 15, 2015, reportedly signed a 8 year deal worth 50m and was fired on Nov 20, 2019.

Edmonton paid a 2015 3rd (STL #84) to San Jose for Todd McLellan, who was hired on May 19, 2015, who reportedly signed a 5 year deal worth 15m and was fired on Nov 20, 2018.

Buffalo paid a 2016 3rd (VAN #64) to Pittsburgh for Dan Bylsma, who was hired on May 28, 2015, reportedly signed a five year (?) contract worth a certain amount of US dollars and was fired April 20, 2017.

The Dumb Rules
1)Only three positions warrant compensation: President of Hockey Operations, General Manager, and Head Coach.

2) If hired during the season, the compensation is a second-round draft pick.

3) If hired in the offseason, the compensation is a third-round draft pick.

4) For a General Manager of President of Hockey Operations, the offseason begins after the NHL Entry Draft.

5) For a Head Coach, the offseason begins after his team plays their final game of the season.

6) The hiring team has a three year window to give up the draft pick.

Chia was fired by Bruins on April 15, 2015 and hired by the Oilers on April 24, 2015. (Which was, amusingly, too early because it’s before the 2015 Draft because of the idiotic wording of the rule. We’re lucky the Pens didn’t demand a 2nd for Ray but my guess is that it was about $ and NJ wiped out their entire financial obligation to Shero. The Pens are cheap.)

Tortorella had been fired in Vancouver in May 2014, but Columbus fired Todd Richards early in 2015 and hired Torts on Oct 15, 2015. So both required 2nd round pick compensation.

I’m going on this weird random tangent because a) it’s what my brain does b) I forgot how much of a hilarious disaster this dumb “rule” was. It was far from new idea and it actually existed in some form until 2006 but, god damn, they f***ed it up big time in 2015 and everyone was super unhappy. (The Edmonton Press was particularly, let’s just say, a bit salty.)

The 2015 rule was supposed to protect executives and coaching talent that actually worked for teams from being poached. However when they wrote the rules they forgot to address the possibility of teams getting compensated for fired executives and coaches still under contract, even though those are who 1) mostly gets hired and 2) are the guys nobody wanted teams to get compensated for.

There were amusing articles about how Bill Daly said the rules “technically” allowed Boston to ask for compensation for Chai but that the Bruins probably wouldn’t because it would block him from getting hired, or because it wasn’t in the spirit of the rule or some shit. Surprise! They wanted their pick.

I had a pet theory that Bettman disliked the idea, but the GMs pushed for it, so the NHL gave the babies their bottles and Gary was content to see it quickly crash and burn. (You can watch Bettman announce that the rule is being cancelled but there’s no “amnesty” because it applied to all teams, so that makes it fair.)

I dug up this choice quote:

“What we were trying to do was provide an orderly way for young management people or coaches to be allowed to progress and move up the ladder,” Calgary Flames president of hockey operations Brian Burke said Tuesday after the board of governors meeting. “But a team that had skill at identifying young people would be compensated for it. It was never envisioned it would apply to terminated employees.

Dude, how would it not be applied fired employees still under contract? How did that not come up when discussing this among the guys whose teams would be asking for those picks?(Jacobs is Mr NHL Board of Governors.) Good old Burkie.

NHL to eliminate executive compensation policy - Sportsnet.ca

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves laying out a prayer circle as we speak for the kraken to select johnsson

I've been a Devils fan since Mel Bridgeman was captain and Chico Resch between the pipes. I have to say in almost 4 decades of rabid fandom, my least favorite Devil of all time would have to be Andreas Johnsson. That being said, I cannot see Seattle taking him -- Ron Francis is no dummy. You don't want to be starting an expansion team spending $3.4 million per year on one of the weaker 4th line forwards in the league.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Capfriemdly has all the lists loaded up already so you can do a mock draft.

Once you start, I was quick to realize there's alot of garbage on those lists. The big names of yesteryear are blinding but there really isn't a whole lot of quality.

I mean even from stacked teams like the Avs you're looking at donskoi or ej.

Seattle is taking Landeskog from Colorado, from everything I've been hearing.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do think a lot of people are being foolish in thinking Seattle is just going to be their dumping ground for their shitty aging contracts.

If they can't get the side deals Vegas got they most likely just take younger guys with some upside along with some players with actual trade value.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
If kraken are considering price there’s no way that subban is on their radar that’s a lot of coin to form up for a new franchise. My guess is butcher is gone

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
I've been a Devils fan since Mel Bridgeman was captain and Chico Resch between the pipes. I have to say in almost 4 decades of rabid fandom, my least favorite Devil of all time would have to be Andreas Johnsson. That being said, I cannot see Seattle taking him -- Ron Francis is no dummy. You don't want to be starting an expansion team spending $3.4 million per year on one of the weaker 4th line forwards in the league.

Four decades and Johnsson is your least favorite? Either selective amnesia or you chose to ignore long periods.

While his scoring numbers were disappointing, wouldn't even have him in my Top (Bottom?) 20 of least favorites.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Four decades and Johnsson is your least favorite? Either selective amnesia or you chose to ignore long periods.

While his scoring numbers were disappointing, wouldn't even have him in my Top (Bottom?) 20 of least favorites.
Or Johnsson could just be his “least favorite”, because if you look at the second word, it’s clearly subjective and there is no right or wrong answer.*

*Except the right answer is Adam Mair. Mair stood to me in 2010-11, the absolute apex of random f***nut scrap-heap forwards, as particularly weirdly useless. And I like random lunch pail guys but that team was a battalion of energy guys as everyone got injured at some point (on top of a brutal cap crunch): Sestito (36 games 2 assists), Pelley (74 games 10 points), S. Gionta’s 1st season (12 games zero points), Clarkson (82 games 18 points but he was garbage that year, -20 and an idiot, it was his worst season in NJ), Steckel (18 games 1 goal)…

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Only a few hours left. I have to give credit to Devils Daily podcast and The Hockey Guy (YouTube) but my opinion of who will be selected has changed. Fitz did a sneaky thing by signing Bastion to a 1 way contract. I personally feel Johnsson and Butcher are still options but are paid too much for what they offer. Therefore, there is a real possibility they select Merk or Studs. Both are young, showed potential and can be stashed in the AHL for solid depth. Looking at the list their defenseman and team defense should be very strong. The biggest question will be scoring. A lot of bigger name forwards have question marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and AusDev

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
bUt HiS aNaLyTiCs

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
bUt HiS aNaLyTiCs

I have a lot of respect for Ron Francis -- he is not going to have his mind swayed by looking at a chart without actually scouting the player as well. Anyone who actually watched Johnsson last year had to see that he was not just bad at hockey, but also poor with decision-making and poor in terms of compete level. Since he signed his absurd $3.4 million contact with Toronto, he has not been a hard-working or positively impactful player at all. He's basically a guy picking up a paycheck to be a passenger.

Nathan Bastian is the guy I feel Seattle takes. He's better than Johnsson in every way at 1/4 the cost. He's younger, smarter, works harder, plays physical and has at least equivalent offensive ability, though I'd wager Bastian scores more next year. Again, Francis is good at what he does -- he's not passing on a quality bottom six forward like Bastian for an AHL-caliber guy like Johnsson, especially considering their contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad