Who will the Canes Draft at #5?

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC
If Tampa takes Nischushkin, does Nashville take Barkov or Drouin?

It would be cool if Drouin fell to us, but to be honest i would rather have Barkov

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Not sure the analogy holds, none of these guys compare to Brandon Sutter. None of them need that much development.
Who do they compare to? Other than Skinner, nobody we've ever drafted has made an impact directly out of the draft. Staal had 30 points, Tanabe spent half the season in the minors, Boychuk had a brief stint before being sent back to juniors, and nobody else even played a game.

If Nychushkin is such a man-beast where is the production? I understand it's more of a defensive game over there, but 10 points in 38 games does not scream "this is the next Malkin" to me. I'm not saying he sucks, I just don't see where he's head and shoulders over any of the other forwards.
Players that age get next to no ice time in the KHL. He got 8 minutes a game in the regular season and 12 in the playoffs. The very fact that a 17 year old was good enough to even play in the second-best league in the world is highly encouraging, moreso than whatever Sean Monahan is doing playing probably 30 minutes a game against teenagers.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Nichushkin, Dynamo Moscow have just bought out his contract with Traktor Chelyabinsk, and it makes him an RFA. He has to sign with Dynamo on the same terms I think it is as his Traktor contract or he comes over to North America. Also Nichushkin is arguably more NHL ready than Barkov after being one of Traktor's better players in the Gagarin Cup run

If he elects to go RFA, there is absolutely no reason that JR should pass on him. He'll be a good winger for Skinner since little Jeffery likes to take less experienced players under his wing and out for a cone. I noticed that with Dalpe this season. Too many connections here to be made so my vote goes to Chooch.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Players that age get next to no ice time in the KHL. He got 8 minutes a game in the regular season and 12 in the playoffs. The very fact that a 17 year old was good enough to even play in the second-best league in the world is highly encouraging, moreso than whatever Sean Monahan is doing playing probably 30 minutes a game against teenagers.

I can buy that. I can buy the idea that he has more upside too. Just seems a much bigger risk. Not sure, with the way the team is currently constructed, that a boom-or-bust pick is a great idea.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If it's true that Nichushkin is an RFA and it's play with the team that ticked him off or come to North America, I think his stock just raised with us...

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

This is why what Barkov is doing right now is so ****ing unreal.

If he's there at 5, we need to take him.

Please, please Tampa, take Monahan!!

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Nichushkin is an extremely good skater. His stride shows raw power and great top end speed which allows him to make his patented move of going wide on a defender and then cutting it to the net.

How can we not draft this guy? :sarcasm:

Seriously, watching his highlights at the WJC, he was outskating both Jones and Murphy. Several times he beat them flat out on speed.

Me want.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Obviously a certain former Carolina Hurricane never made it to the patent office with the move he made 17,238 times.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If there was ever a time where Rutherford would consider going Russian, this is that opportunity. Historically, the only teams that have been aggressive with drafting Russian kids were the teams that had a strong Russian contingent already in house or teams that were so deep with prospects that they could wait. Those moves have proven pretty astute for a club like Washington with guys like Semin, Ovechkin, Orlov, Kuznetsov, Galiev, etc.

The only thing that makes me think that we're not on his trail is the contract situation, but one silver lining to that is the fact that Semin and Nichushkin share agents and if anybody will get the real deal on his availability, it'll be the teams that have a strong relationship with this agent. Not that his agent won't be telling every team that's interested that he would be available this afternoon if they wanted him, but that's another story.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Who do you think is most NHL ready for us at #5.......Barkov, Monahan, or Nichushkin?

I would go with Monahan, personally. I think the lowest ceiling guy is also Monahan. I feel like he's closer to a finished product than the other two. Barkov is almost a year behind in development on the rest of these prospects and despite out of this world talent, he's not skating well enough right now to be an impact player at the NHL level. I think whatever team ends up with him would be wise to let him play another year in the SM-Liiga as he matures into his body.

Nichushkin is on that same skill level and traditionally it has been wise to allow Russian talent to develop in Russia, despite all the noise to the contrary. Plus there are more raw places to his game than there are with Monahan. Monahan already does a few things that are NHL ready. He plays a responsible three zone game, he can win draws, and he has strong body awareness and doesn't put himself in bad positions. He won't be physically intimidated by the faster pace and tends to play well through contact which is an underrated trait in players you're trying to force to make the jump right away. Mainly, it's the defensive confidence that you'd want if you're taking Monahan above the other two options. I heard one NHL scout say David Krejci when asked about Monahan.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Oiler fan here - not meaning to troll, but IF Nichushkin was your guy, why not trade down with the Oilers, pick him there and pick up a free asset? We need a center with size (wingers with size too) who can win a faceoff. The chances that the Flames go for Nichushkin is zero. We'd love to take Barkov or Monahan if they are available at 5 and jump ahead of our provincial rivals. I'm not sure we'd be as interested in the smaller Lindholm.

We have our 2nd rounder (37) as well as ANAs 2nd (57?). To me it would seem our 2nd is too much but ANAs is not enough.

Just wondering if anyone here thinks that a deal could be worked out. I think Nichushkin will be gone to BUF at 8 - he and Grigs would be awesome together.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
While I want Nichushkin, the chances that JR drafts him are slim.

We're going for Monahan most likely.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Oiler fan here - not meaning to troll, but IF Nichushkin was your guy, why not trade down with the Oilers, pick him there and pick up a free asset? We need a center with size (wingers with size too) who can win a faceoff. The chances that the Flames go for Nichushkin is zero. We'd love to take Barkov or Monahan if they are available at 5 and jump ahead of our provincial rivals. I'm not sure we'd be as interested in the smaller Lindholm.

We have our 2nd rounder (37) as well as ANAs 2nd (57?). To me it would seem our 2nd is too much but ANAs is not enough.

Just wondering if anyone here thinks that a deal could be worked out. I think Nichushkin will be gone to BUF at 8 - he and Grigs would be awesome together.

Really don't think Nichushkin is our guy, at this rate, it's most likely Monahan.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012

Doubt a trade happens.

Canes and most other teams in this range are going to fall in love with Monahan when they interview him.

He brings everything he Canes want, especially in defensive responsibility, leadership, and a never quit attitude. It takes a lot of character to bring it every night like he did last season on a team that ends up 16-46-0.

If it ends up that Tampa or Nashville take him for this reason, the Canes will be happy to jump on Barkov.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
There have been reports that a team has already contacted Nashville about the 4th pick after Trotz put it up for trade. It wouldn't shock me if Edmonton was trying to jump us for Monahan if we're giving off the vibe that we want him. He does fit a very specific need for Edmonton. Plus, dropping down would give Nashville less of a headache in taking what they feel is the best player available if they're looking at a guy like Nischushkin. Calgary needs a center in the worst way and it's looking like Lindholm or Monahan is their preference. Nashville trades down to 7th overall and the draft goes like this:

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Drouin
4. Monahan (Edmonton via Nashville)
5. Barkov
6. Lindholm
7. Nichushkin (Nashville via Edmonton)

Not a likely scenario, but it could happen eh?

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Monahan looks like he has the potential to be a solid 2nd line NHL player. Not sure he's what the Canes need, but BPA and "need" are different in the 5th spot! At least he's already used to losing a lot! ;)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's certainly possible, but I just can't see Nashville passing up the chance to take Barkov. He's exactly what they need.

The potential to pair Lindholm with Forsberg could be another interesting option with Nashville. Not sure he would make it past Calgary, but worst case scenario if they were higher on Nichushkin and Lindholm than Barkov would see them snag one of those targets. The fact that they would even entertain trading down smells fishy to me.... like they have a different order than most teams regarding a few of the top dogs.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's certainly possible, but I just can't see Nashville passing up the chance to take Barkov. He's exactly what they need.

It's true. That team has never had a true franchise center. Rarely have they ever had a true No. 1 center. The closest they have to a "face of the franchise" is freaking David Legwand. They have to be looking at their pick as an opportunity to get one of those kind of guys. I feel like they almost have no choice except to go for Barkov.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
There have been reports that a team has already contacted Nashville about the 4th pick after Trotz put it up for trade. It wouldn't shock me if Edmonton was trying to jump us for Monahan if we're giving off the vibe that we want him. He does fit a very specific need for Edmonton. Plus, dropping down would give Nashville less of a headache in taking what they feel is the best player available if they're looking at a guy like Nischushkin. Calgary needs a center in the worst way and it's looking like Lindholm or Monahan is their preference. Nashville trades down to 7th overall and the draft goes like this:

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Drouin
4. Monahan (Edmonton via Nashville)
5. Barkov
6. Lindholm
7. Nichushkin (Nashville via Edmonton)

Not a likely scenario, but it could happen eh?

Works for me. I've looked lightly into it, but I can't find the last Draft eligible player that put up pro numbers like Barkov did last year. Different situation, different times, but even Backstrom, both Koivus, any recent players (Granlund, Z-Bad, Teravainen, Forsberg, Armia, etc.).

Olli Jokinen came close with 41 pts in 50 games or Daniel Sedin with 42 pts in 50 games. This is comparing to Barkov's 48 pts in 53 games.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Works for me. I've looked lightly into it, but I can't find the last Draft eligible player that put up pro numbers like Barkov did last year. Different situation, different times, but even Backstrom, both Koivus, any recent players (Granlund, Z-Bad, Teravainen, Forsberg, Armia, etc.).

Olli Jokinen came close with 41 pts in 50 games or Daniel Sedin with 42 pts in 50 games. This is comparing to Barkov's 48 pts in 53 games.

It also bears mentioning that Finnish hockey in general has hit the tank in that same period of time when those strong players were really starting to flourish. The younger generation that you mentioned have been exponentially more successful in the SM-Liiga than their predecessors by virtue of the fact that the league itself has been diluted by the fact that the SEL has emerged as a more desirable option in Scandinavia. Not to mention the fact that the KHL has drawn even more attention away from that league and you have something that isn't nearly the same as it was even ten years ago. That isn't to discount what Barkov has done, it's amazing, but that league has deteriorated to the point where you have to look at stats coming out with a real discerning eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad