Who will the Canes Draft at #5?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Figured now that we know the draft order, it was a good time for a poll. Who do you think the Canes will draft at #5? This is NOT who do you WANT them to draft, it's who do you think they will actually end up drafting?

1 Jones
2 MacKinnon
3 Drouin
4 Barkov
5 Nichushkin
6 Lindholm
7 Monahan
8 Ristolainen
9 Zadorov
10 Nurse
11 Trade
12 Other

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
I'm going to say Monahan will shoot up the boards as people begin to study his game and teams interview him. The Canes need someone with his set of skills and leadership, he could be the next Toews who is arguably the best captain in the league.

Barkov, who was injured in the playoffs, might lose a step as he international prospects don't get the hype and exposure that CHL prospects do. He has put up the best pro numbers of a Draft eligible forward that I have ever seen. His average skating is his only flaw but it isn't too damaging as he is huge and a natural goal scorer. Could have been a top-3 pick last year, and he probably would have been the most NHL ready in that Draft as well as this one.

Nichushkin is a whole different animal. Many peg him as the best forward in the entire draft and the next coming of Malkin. If he vows to play in the NHL next year or in 2 seasons (his contract does have an out clause after 1 year) then he is a candidate for the Canes pick. It's no secret Russians love playing together and he and Semin could anchor the Canes for years.

I think they end up with one of the 3. In any case the Canes get an amazing player. As long as JR doesn't trade the pick, that is.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I see it a bit differently, but close to the same. I don't see JR touching Nichushkin with a 3.048m pole. I also don't see JR picking a defensemen in this draft as he has said that he expects the guy to contribute next year, and other than maybe Ristolainen, that person doesn't exist in the 4-10 range.

So that leaves only Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, and maybe Shinkaruk.

Barkov and Monahan have the size (although Monahan has to fill out) that Muller and JR have been talking about, particularly given the division the Canes will be in so I suspect it would be one of those two and if for some reason the Canes have their choice of those two, I see them taking Monahan. He has too many qualities that the Canes (and likely Muller) desire. He has skills, two-way play, good at faceoffs, leadership, etc....

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Knowing more about Nichushkin's situation would certainly be nice. If he'll be available in 2014-15, and he's on the board at 5, I think that's the pick to make.

But I like the aforementioned Ristolainen, having read through the reports. Wouldn't mind seeing the team trade down, and take the best dman available around 8-12.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
The more I think about Domi the more scared I get. Starting to creep into a lot of top-10 boards, leading London in playoff scoring (something they loved about Skinner), 5'9" OHL forward....

Oh god, this is the Canes pick.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I've been on the Monahan bandwagon for a couple of weeks now, he seems like the perfect guy to fill out the forward ranks right now and can contribute in lots of different ways even if his offensive game isn't quite there at first.

My worry is that Nashville seems so unlikely to go for a boom-or-bust guy that they end up taking him in front of us. If he's gone I'm very OK with Barkov.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Why would you not pick this guy? If he was Canadian he would be the top pick in this years draft. We need size and grit people.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Valeri-Nichushkin

Don't you know this organization is biased against Euros, especially Russians, and Americans? Based on the clarion call of rocky7, robo and I figured out earlier this week that every Euro and American who has ever played for this team, except for those currently on the roster, doesn't play for the team anymore. If that's not evidence of something, I don't know what is!

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I've been on the Monahan bandwagon for a couple of weeks now, he seems like the perfect guy to fill out the forward ranks right now and can contribute in lots of different ways even if his offensive game isn't quite there at first.

My worry is that Nashville seems so unlikely to go for a boom-or-bust guy that they end up taking him in front of us. If he's gone I'm very OK with Barkov.
Also makes you wonder how a guy like Rask fits into the future plans if this is the direction. With the current salary commitments, another ELC will be needed. If they go with a C, Rask could become the primary trade bait for an upgrade on D along with a high-priced player to offset salaries.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Everything I've read suggest Rask is killing it in the playoffs right now. His stock should be on the rise.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Seeing how the poll is who do you think they'll draft, and not who do you want them to draft, +1 for Monahan.

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
Watched some highlights of Darnell Nurse. No Thank You. Kid comes across as a NFL-type prima donna, taunting and posturing for the crowd rather than making his case on the ice and not bringing attention to himself. Doesn't seem to fit the Canes team style, let alone the highlight 'reel' I watched was mostly him skating around after a fight that he didn't necessarily clearly win, even as tall as he is.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think if the Semin connection with agents and such could be worked out that Nich would come over next season and play, he is the no brainer pick. If not, Monahan is the obvious next pick.

My lines:

Tlusty // Eric // Semin
Nich // Jordan // Ruutu
Welsh // Skinner // Dwyer
Westgarth // Nash // Jared(or other Checker)

Gleason // Faulk
Pitkanen // Murphy
Harrison // Bellemore
MAB

Ward
Peters (or other back up)

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
You can never have too many Centers. 95% of elite level players at junior levels play Center because that is where they can provide the most benefit on their teams, they are the pitchers of the Hockey world.

Rask can be converted to wing with ease. Monahan could convert to wing with ease (although I'd keep him at C and move Jordan to wing based on FO ability). Nichushkin played winger in the KHL already although he apparently played Center at every junior level.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Watched some highlights of Darnell Nurse. No Thank You. Kid comes across as a NFL-type prima donna, taunting and posturing for the crowd rather than making his case on the ice and not bringing attention to himself. Doesn't seem to fit the Canes team style, let alone the highlight 'reel' I watched was mostly him skating around after a fight that he didn't necessarily clearly win, even as tall as he is.

I felt the same way. A lot of show, not so much "go". And any kid that grabs his crotch after a fight, is probably NOT the kind of guy the Canes draft. Don't see it happening.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If they don’t trade the pick and one of Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov doesn't fall, I want it to be and I think it will be Sean Monahan.

E. Staal
J. Staal
Monahan
Nash

Dat center depth.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I may be way off, but am surprised so many think that Nichuskin would be the pick. I would have zero problem if he was the pick based on what I've heard/read, but I just can't see JR picking him with the uncertainty of when he'd be over here.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Would love Nichushkin but think it might be Monahan. This would have been a much easier choice if we had only lost a few more games.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
If they don’t trade the pick and one of Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov doesn't fall, I want it to be and I think it will be Sean Monahan.

E. Staal
J. Staal
Monahan
Nash

Dat center depth.
On one hand, yes, but on the other Monahan would immediately be the best playmaker. Says something altogether different.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Monahan will penetrate the top 4. The combination of Eric Staal and Jonathan Toews will be too much for Yzerman or Poile.

I really see Drouin (playstyle + size) or Barkov (Finnish + injured at the moment) falling to us at 5.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Also, for what it's worth, all 3 mock drafts on NHL.com have us taking Nichushkin at 5 (with some combination of Barkov, Jones, Drouin and MacKinnon going in the top 4).

It's a real shame...this has become a 4 person race and we sit at 5th overall. :cry:

Here are the players selected each year after the top tier:
2010: Gudbranson (tier of 2)
2009: Evander Kane of Braydon Schenn (tier depends on if talking to Avs fans)
2008: Schenn or Filatov
2007:Hickey or Alzner (Hickey was a reach that year)
2006: Derek Brassard (tier of 5)
2005: Bobby Ryan (the "Sidney Crosby lottery")
2004: Cam Barker and Andrew Ladd
2003: Zherdev and Vanek

So odds are, we'll get an excellent player. But if we want the all star, need to hope that Monahan impresses enough for someone above us to take him or that, when we take him, he'll be NHL ready. Posters on the prospects board think that he needs another year of juniors.

If that is the case, I want Nichushkin.

Either way, gotta hope that someone falls into our lap a la Murphy. IIRC Tampa can usually be counted on to screw things up (Brett Connolly anyone?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad