Speculation: Who will the Bruins Buyout/Trade/Waive thread

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Lots of people expect Ullmark gone eh.
I'd guess the B's will hold onto him this next season and see how it goes after that.
I love both the goalies, but doesn't it feel kinda sketchy running Swayman with Bussi/Keyser/UFA backup?
Depends what Swayman will get I guess, but even a tandem at ~~$9mill total doesn't seem that bad does it?
9 mil for the best tandem in the league isn’t bad value in a vacuum, but with the bruins cap situation it’s a luxury we can’t afford. Look at it this way, let’s say Swayman gets his projected contract of 2x3.75mil. That means in the playoffs depending on who the starter is we’ll have between 8-9.5mil in cap not on the ice between the backup goalie and the overages. Commit to Swayman as the starter and get a cheap backup and that number goes down to like 5.5-6mil, which is workable, that’s basically what the bruins were dealing with during the 2019 run with Backes sitting a bunch.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Have you seen our cap structure right now? We don't have the $.

To keep both goalies (which would be weird in this spot) you'll need to gut the rest of the team. You have to gut it already, but you'd be gutting it even more. You'd need to trade probably 3-4 other guys depending on who it is. As is we have to trade at least 2?
Reilly, Forbort, Gryz, (Pipe dream I know)
Just feels weird trading the more than likely Vezina winner, especially with the whole chemistry thing,

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Probably in the minority, but I don’t expect them to trade Ullmark or Swayman. Goaltending was a big part of their success this past season and I expect them to lean on it next season.

I believe they will look to fill outgoing spots with youth or bargain type players like De Haan for example.

I expect Reilly, Forbort, and maybe Gryz to be moved.

I’ve seen some mention of Debrusk. Given his fairly reasonable cap hit he provide more value to them on the ice than as part of an offer, at least for the for the first half of the upcoming season. Find out where he stands going into next season and if you feel like you are that far apart in talks, explore moving him at the deadline for some quality pieces.

Lastly I think they bring back Hathaway, and attempt Bertuzzi but are unable to.

I agree with some of this.

DK46 retires.

Patrice returns for the Centennial, as Evan & Conor speculate.

I do not see the Bruins trading Jake DeBrusk. I would very much like Hathaway back.

Orlov, of course, is gone. The same is likely true of Bertuzzi.

I hope they don't trade Gryz. Again, he brings good value for the price.

I hope they part ways with Clifton, Forbort, Nosek, Reilly, and Zboril. Nick might be back, though whether that's the right move is hard to say. If Patrice retires, Foligno augments the core leadership of Marchand, McAvoy, Pasta and Zacha, who I believe will grow into the role.

I would love to see Milan return, though he has other options, including VAN & TO. Limited, sheltered fourth line minutes. Inducing "anxiety" in opponents, as Sweeney posited years ago, yet repeatedly failed to deliver. (FWIW I don't believe his heart was ever in it, just as Cassdiy had no utility for physical play. It showed.)

At this point it won't surprise if Taylor Hall is dealt.

Ullmark's value will never be greater. He will be traded.

A good many of Boston's prospects -- the usual suspects and some surprises -- will be given a long and considered look in DC and preseason camp.

Given the cap business and other factors, it's at least possible that more than one -- perhaps even two or three -- either begin the year with the big club or will be on speed dial.

There's also the critical matter of if, or how, JIm Montgomery can learn from multiple mistakes and adjust accordingly.

I wish him well but the jury is still very much out in that regard.

An interesting off season will become, for good or ill, a fascinating 2023-2024 campaign.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
So Reilly bought out yet? Grizz dealt for second? Forbort for a fifth? Moves happening?
Part of me wonder if they won't be anything until after Monday so they don't distract from the NHL awards. Bergy, Ullmark, and Sweeney all likely winning their respective awards, don't want to take away from their moments.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not sure where you are getting your numbers. Using Natural Stat Trick I see 374 scoring chances for, 404 scoring chances against (5 on 5).

That's 2nd worst on the Flames for all Fs who played at least 100 minutes last year.
Corsi. I am using the analytic that suits my argument

32 Thoughts says that Sweeney's phone is burning with moves to clear cap.... also said he's looking to retain both Bertuzzi and Hathaway, if possible.
Pass on both

So Reilly bought out yet? Grizz dealt for second? Forbort for a fifth? Moves happening?
Gryz will only move if Sweeney quits

Reactions: Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Who will The Bruins Buyout/Trade/Waive thread Offseason addition contest
Like the Deadline thread list your top 5 to be moved this Offseason
Example and my picks
5. Reilly bought out
4. Miller unconditional waivers for mutual termination of his contract
3. Forbort traded for 2023 6th
2. Debrusk hockey trade with Calgary
1. Zboril traded for 2024 4th
We'll run this for a few weeks

Folks please stay to topic of first post by @Saxon Eric .

thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad