Whose Legacy lasts longer

• crosby

Votes: 114 42.4%
  • ovi

Votes: 155 57.6%

• Total voters

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's not "the" unbeatable record. It is one of several unbeatable records. All of Wayne's marquee records were considered untouchable. This is the closest anyone has gotten to any of them.
He’s already passed Gretzky for most goals on the road.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Ovi will 100% have a greater legacy when/if he beats Gretzky’s record.

Beating an “unbreakable” record will be talked about much more than Crosby’s amazing but not record breaking career.

The hardcore fans will debate Crosby vs Ovi and there could be an argument for either, but the casuals will remember the greatest goal scorer of all time
Still sour about 2009, I see?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Still sour about 2009, I see?
So wait… just so I have this right:

Saying Crosby and Ovi will be debated about by the hardcore fans But casuals will remember the guy whos likely to go down as the greatest goal scorer of all time somehow means that I’m sour about something that happened 14 years ago?

HF boards truly is a special place…

It's not "the" unbeatable record. It is one of several unbeatable records. All of Wayne's marquee records were considered untouchable. This is the closest anyone has gotten to any of them.
Exactly this.

Gretzky had a ton of records considered unbreakable. This was always referenced as one of them.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I don't.

That said, none of it changes the fact that the general consensus was that the bulk of Gretzky's records were viewed as unbreakable. Just do a web search of Wayne+Gretzky+Unbreakable+Records and you will find article after article and list after list of people pontificating about the subject. It's taken a perfect storm of an individual with the skill, durability, and will to get this close. And "this close" is still 2-3 years away. But no one else is within 10+ years of getting as close as Ovechkin has gotten. And the odds that someone already active is the one to potentially re-break it is very slim.
Good post.

That said the number of empty netters this year is borderline embarrassing.

Reactions: NORiculous

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Sidney Crosby. You can take away the Cups and the Conn Smythe's and you still have the iconic golden goal.

It's hard to top that goal, especially considering how unbeatable Ryan Miller looked throughout that tournament and even in that game where it looked like Canada was going to lose to him till he ended it.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sidney Crosby. You can take away the Cups and the Conn Smythe's and you still have the iconic golden goal.

It's hard to top that goal,
especially considering how unbeatable Ryan Miller looked throughout that tournament and even in that game where it looked like Canada was going to lose to him till he ended it.
It's not tho. It's meaningless for the vast majority of hockey fans world wide.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

It's hard to top that goal, especially considering how unbeatable Ryan Miller looked throughout that tournament and even in that game where it looked like Canada was going to lose to him till he ended it.

It's iconic for a country of 35 million people. Literally no one else in the world cares about it.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
So wait… just so I have this right:

Saying Crosby and Ovi will be debated about by the hardcore fans But casuals will remember the guy whos likely to go down as the greatest goal scorer of all time somehow means that I’m sour about something that happened 14 years ago?

HF boards truly is a special place…

Exactly this.

Gretzky had a ton of records considered unbreakable. This was always referenced as one of them.
You downplay Crosby every time you have the chance and it’s pretty noticeable. Once again, you are acting like Ovechkin will be remembered the most and it won’t be close, which is just false. I’m just calling out the heavy bias so people don’t take your opinion too seriously ;).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You downplay Crosby every time you have the chance and it’s pretty noticeable. Once again, you are acting like Ovechkin will be remembered the most and it won’t be close, which is just false. I’m just calling out the heavy bias so people don’t take your opinion too seriously ;).
How exactly is that downplaying by saying casual fans will remember the greatest goal scorer of all time who will hold a record for many years rather than “just” a great Crosby with no actual records?

Fickle bunch Pens have become now that Ovi May end up with the greater legacy.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And basically stating that any of your opinions shouldn't be taken too seriously for the same reason either, correct?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It's not tho. It's meaningless for the vast majority of hockey fans world wide.
Its also pretty meaningless to alot of canadian fans imo. International tournaments are cool accolades but team Canada almost always goes in with the strongest team and highest odds to win. Golden goal is cool but people saying its like some incredible part of Canadian heritage are living in fantasy land lol

Hey I’m Canadian and I don’t care about it
yup

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I mean it’s not like it was some dramatic, amazing end to end rush. Was just a five hole shot by a guy who had an otherwise lacklustre Olympic Games.

I have a hard time putting higher value on one single goal rather than scoring what’s likely to be 900+ NHL goals.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
And basically stating that any of your opinions shouldn't be taken too seriously for the same reason either, correct?
My post history doesn’t suggest any bias being shown against any players/teams in particular, unlike the poster I quoted. The idea that the answer to this question is “obvious” like the poster has suggested is entirely false.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
If Ovechkin surpasses Gretzky's goal record, I feel that his legacy will "last" longer than Crosby's. However, that doesn't take anything away from Crosby's accomplishments. I just think that Ovechkin surpassing Gretzky for the goals record is the stuff of legend.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Team Canada winning a best on best isn’t that big of a deal, it’s expected.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's iconic for a country of 35 million people. Literally no one else in the world cares about it.

Maybe it is because I was around for the 87 Canada Cup and 2002 medal.. but I don't think too much of the golden goal, either. Sure it was great for Canada to win at home, but Iginla is the one who did all the work on the goal and it was a bit of a softie tbh. Certainly no Gretzky to Lemieux that is for sure..

I think if Ovi gets the goal record it is going to stand for a long time so we'll hear about him a lot.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't see why. ENGs = wins
It's not embarrassing that they're winning.

It's that it's very obvious stat-padding. They have one of the worst defensive players since the lockout out there when they're protecting a lead.

Still, he's gonna have the record, which makes him immediately more recognizable and associated with a number that everyone will be chasing, possibly the only number starting with a 9.

I think Ovechkin is the obvious choice.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
If Ovi breaks Wayne's record, it's undeniably him. Doesn't make him better than Crosby, but it gives him a mythical aura to his legacy that Crosby just doesn't have.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why do people keeping referencing Gretzky's 894 goals as the "unbeatable" record? If I were to assess what will be the most difficult Gretzky feat for someone to break, not sure his 894 would be in my top 10.

More difficult would be:

- Goals in a season (92)
- Assists in a season (163)
- Assists in a career (1,963)
- Points in a career (2,857)
- Most consecutive 200 point seasons (3)...this might be the most difficult to break
- Least games to start a season to score 50 goals (39)
- Longest point streak (51 games)...somewhat easier than before with 3v3 OT now, but still very difficult
- Most Art Ross trophies (10)
- Most Hart Trophies (9)
- Maybe now we get to 894 goals.....but maybe total professional goals scored first (1,072).

But, I think goal scoring might the be least difficult to break simply because the record is held by a guy that wasn't really a shoot first guy.

The highlighted triggered my response... easier than... the 80's? Decent players were PPG back then...

Most of these records are not attainable, not only because Gretzky is one of the all-time bests but also because scoring is not going back to the 80's heights, unless there is drastic changes in the game

1671323492597.png

1671323504124.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad