Who Will Be The Wild's Next Captain

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm surprised at everybody saying Kunin... Guy's not even guaranteed to make the team and people are penciling him in for future Captain.

The assumption for the younger guys is that they live up to the expectations. People see Kunin captain the USNTDP and Wisconsin, it's an easy connection to make.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
If Parise has a bounceback year, I think it's him. If he has another down year, I think Suter gets it.

I hope Mikko has a few more productive years with us, though.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If Parise has a bounceback year, I think it's him. If he has another down year, I think Suter gets it.

I hope Mikko has a few more productive years with us, though.

Being the Captain has nothing to do with production or who the best player is. Parise has become the face of this franchise. Namely because he is "one of us" and because he has Captained everything out there, to include the US in the Olympics.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Being the Captain has nothing to do with production or who the best player is. Parise has become the face of this franchise. Namely because he is "one of us" and because he has Captained everything out there, to include the US in the Olympics.

I don't know, if he has another bad year, and starts looking like he may be trending down fast, they might want to avoid a Dustin Brown situation where you have a captain who is giving you 3rd/4th line production, with an albatross of a contract.

Jacks7833

Dec 2, 2014
If management is smart they will give it to one of the someone other than Sutter or Parise. Im fine with them keeping the A's. The younger guys need to move into leadership positions.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know, if he has another bad year, and starts looking like he may be trending down fast, they might want to avoid a Dustin Brown situation where you have a captain who is giving you 3rd/4th line production, with an albatross of a contract.

If management is smart they will give it to one of the someone other than Sutter or Parise. Im fine with them keeping the A's. The younger guys need to move into leadership positions.

Parise has a been a REALLY good player in the NHL. Only problem is, most of those great years were in NJ. Unless he reverses the trend of the last two years then I don't want a lame duck Captain, AND i want the younger guys to start taking over the team.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning? Are you hoping the C will somehow boost younger guys' production?

I don't see any drawbacks of having Parise as the next captain.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Matt Dumba has worn a letter several times in his career, including for Team Canada. Joel Eriksson Ek plays like a captain, if that makes sense. And Kunin has that pedigree as well.

Can't believe people saying Parise.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Matt Dumba has worn a letter several times in his career, including for Team Canada. Joel Eriksson Ek plays like a captain, if that makes sense. And Kunin has that pedigree as well.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The dude captained an American team that had Canada on the ropes in a gold medal game on Canadian soil. And he was a captain for several years of a team that went to the Cup Final.

I don't know if I'd necessarily pick him, but I certainly think he'd be a valid choice.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

We're talking NEXT captain... 2019. No guarantee any of Dumba, Zucker, Eriksson-Ek, Kunin... Hell, even Granlund will even be on the team in two years. Who will be on the team, guaranteed? Parise.

Parise is the hometown guy that CHOSE to come here, and easily the most popular player the franchise has ever had. His resume is damn impressive when it comes to leadership. He captained New Jersey and Team USA - both of which mind you had strong picks for leadership positions.

Only way I see a different / young captain assigned will be if the team flops these next two years (talking bottom-5) and desperately needs to take a 180 degree change from top to bottom.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is why the Wild need to trade for Landeskog... :popcorn:

Watching people's heads exploed in 3...2..1...

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Well Koivu will be re-signed most likely to a 2 year deal after next season. If that happens, I can't see a scenario where he ISN'T the captain.

After Koivu has retired, I would like to think that a guy like Kunin or Ek will be stepping into the Captain role. It will probably be Parise though which I'm okay with. He's a lead by example type guy - just not sure what sort of dynamic he brings to the locker room considering he's part of the "old guard".

I would think the team and organization would want to embrace the youth they have coming in, which is why I think Ek or Kunin would make great captains.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Parise the most popular player ever to play here? Sez who? I'll take the Mr. Grumps anyday. Parise had a couple of good years, a couple of bad ones(when his salary is taken into account), and hasn't taken us anywhere in the playoffs.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Parise the most popular player ever to play here? Sez who? I'll take the Mr. Grumps anyday. Parise had a couple of good years, a couple of bad ones(when his salary is taken into account), and hasn't taken us anywhere in the playoffs.

I think he's pretty unquestionably the most popular/well known player that the Wild have ever had.

Ask any casual fan (particularly younger ones) who their favorite player is, and I think a LARGE majority say Parise.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It's a pecking order type thing.

Kunin and Eriksson Ek will be, what, maybe 22/23 years old when Koivu retires or leaves (and this assumes a 2 year contract extension). Not only would they have to leapfrog two very accomplished veterans who'll be in their mid-30's, but also the entire group of the current mid-20 somethings. Pretty unrealistic if you ask me.

It'll go Koivu until he retires/leaves; then one of Parise/Suter for a couple years (my bet is Parise) and one of the current 25 year olds will get the other "A"; then when Parise/Suter retire, whoever held the 'A' will probably be first in line for "C" and the whoever out of the Kunin/Eriksson Ek age group will get the "A's"

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm just amazed that I voted for Granlund.

You're starting to believe... :sarcasm:

i-want-to-believe.jpg

Well Koivu will be re-signed most likely to a 2 year deal after next season. If that happens, I can't see a scenario where he ISN'T the captain.
Easily the most likely scenario. I think Koivu retires in a Wild sweater, and will be Captain until that day... but this thread is a what if he doesn't re-sign discussion.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund makes sense as Koivu's successor to wear the C. They seem to treat the media really similarly, plus like Koivu, Granlund seems to be like Koivu on the ice: doesn't quit, focuses 100% in every game.

Plus, I think they're friends off the ice, so I'm sure Granlund has learned a lot from Koivu.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he's pretty unquestionably the most popular/well known player that the Wild have ever had.

Ask any casual fan (particularly younger ones) who their favorite player is, and I think a LARGE majority say Parise.

Not in my house.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granblunt is in front!

Brodin has a vote (Vegas has 3-2 odds on it being Jesus Brodin)!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad