Who Will Be The Wild's Next Captain

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mikko's contract will be up at the end of next season. In the event he is not re-signed, or is re-signed, but with the understanding that he will be in a lesser role( a lot will depend on the 2017-18 season), then who do you want to wear the C?

Who will be our next Alpha?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Surprisingly, to me as a lukewarm Granlund fan, Gruntstein seems to have the most appeal. He would have to follow up with a strong 2017-18, and have a good playoffs.

Suter seems to be a natural, but there is something about his passivity that rubs me the wrong way.

Parise would have been the obvious answer to this question 1 1/2 years ago, but his decline has raised all sorts of questions about his future.

I can't see quiet guys like Brodin and Coyle being Captains.

It is possible that the Captain is not on the team yet. Kunin? Ek? Maybe in the future, but that would be premature.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Who do I want to wear it? Granlund. He shows up with effort every game, does all the little things even when he's not scoring. Puts his body on the line and has a great attitude.

Who do I think will wear it? Suter. He shows up as well with effort every game, does all the little things well, and puts his body on the line. I'm not sure about his attitude. I think the rumors of locker room division and his asking to play with Spurgeon instead of Brodin have sat wrong with me, and lingered in my gut about him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Suter would be my guess right now. He's going to be here forever.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think Granlund SHOULD, but expect Suter will be...i voted Granlund, because he's my choice. Plays smart aggressive 200ft game. You can never doubt his effort, and has great situational awareness.

I think Suter is just too passive an individual to give the C. He lets that passivity into his game.

If you're passive, your game better not show it shine through so much if you want to be an effective Captain. Look at Sakic, passive person, aggressive player.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Koivu will wear the C for 3 more years.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably pick this option myself. I believe he'll re-sign to a cheaper deal and retire Wild. Then again, maybe he feels there's a better cup chance elsewhere, or more money? I doubt he leaves for those reasons, but I've seen crazier things. But eventually he won't be here, and in that case, I'm still saying Suter or Granlund, based off of current knowledge.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Either Parise or Suter. I'd probably lean toward Suter though since I see him having a greater chance of playing out his contract before retirement.

Kunin could be the eventual captain, but my guess is he wouldn't get that until Parise, Suter and Koivu are all gone.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if parise is healthy i'd pick him. suter is on the quit side for me. save an A for kaprizov! if 3 or 4 years from now hes producing at tarasenko / panarin / kuznetsov levels he'll deserve an apple.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
My bet is Granlund, but I have literally no idea :laugh:

I could also see Coyle getting it at some point.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Koivu into Suter into Kunin.

Edit: Koivu will be the captain as long as he is on the team, regardless of his role.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I don't know about the C yet, but I could see Zucker wearing an 'A' if he stays here long term.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Koivu for however much longer here's here, then the C's on the bees before it passes to the cheese.

Only way a young pup sniffs the patch is if we cross over into Logan's Run or King Ralph territory.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Went with Other. Of the choices I would think Suter or Granlund. However, I think after Koivu they will return to a rotating captain for a while, eventually ending up with a guy like Kunin taking the reigns in a few years.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Went with Other. Of the choices I would think Suter or Granlund. However, I think after Koivu they will return to a rotating captain for a while, eventually ending up with a guy like Kunin taking the reigns in a few years.

Given that the Wild were basically the only team to ever do that, and there is literally no one from a front office/coaching staff point that was here when we did that. I would be surprised if we went back to it.

Having 3 A's for awhile is possible, i would be shocked if we went back to a monthly C rotation.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
It's going to be Parise next likely. Like I said before, I see Zucker with an 'A' and possibly eventually the 'C'. All assuming he stays long term. He has worn both for team USA in the past. He plays hard every night, and is really good with the media. He's already built a little bit of a name for himself with how visible he is within the MN community(partially thanks to his wife).

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm surprised at everybody saying Kunin... Guy's not even guaranteed to make the team and people are penciling him in for future Captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad