Who Will Be The Wild's Next Captain

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think he's pretty unquestionably the most popular/well known player that the Wild have ever had.

Ask any casual fan (particularly younger ones) who their favorite player is, and I think a LARGE majority say Parise.

A lot of the younger fans probably don't even know who Gaborik is cause all they know is the team in front of them right now. Kids nowadays probably have Parise posters whereas some of the little bit older (20's+) fans have Gaborik posters (just found mine the other day). I think if you ask people who watched both play the more exciting player and the more known player would be Gaborik.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I still haven't voted. I'm not really sure. I think Parise, Suter, Granlund and Coyle are all legitimate choices. I don't see Nino, Brodin or Spurgeon getting it. Then you have a wealth of captains in prospects (Kunin, Ek, Kap).

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
The stuff about Coyle furthering his slumps by compulsively reading online criticism strikes me as the opposite of what you'd want in a captain, but, it's just as possible that stuff is fiction composed by people who wish Coyle was compulsively reading their online criticism and that the captain patch is actually the reverse side of a map to a world-saving treasure that can only be located by deciphering coordinates in online criticisms of NHL player slumps.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I feel like Nino is under represented in this poll due to his Swiss lisp, and no one could tale him seriously with it...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I feel like Nino is under represented in this poll due to his Swiss lisp, and no one could tale him seriously with it...

I don't think Nino is ready. He's still trying to figure out what he is RW/LW 1st, 2nd, or 3rd liner. He's consistently been a 15 min a night player over the past 4 seasons.

Once he figures everything out, he could be in the discussion. :dunno:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I just don't think he's captain material. Don't get me wrong either, he's fantastic and my personal favorite player.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The hard part for us as fans is we only see the players in games. We're missing the locker room and interpersonal dynamics.

Who is the guy that holds everyone accountable (including himself), doesn't get caught up in his own streaks/slumps, team building type stuff? The C needs to be all of those, not just the best player. Contract term (stability) has some sway too. Revolving door of a new "C" every couple of seasons isn't usually a good thing.

I still think the players should choose their own "C" and "A" players. You'll sometimes find a lesser player wearing a letter because of the non-game stuff.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
A lot of the younger fans probably don't even know who Gaborik is cause all they know is the team in front of them right now. Kids nowadays probably have Parise posters whereas some of the little bit older (20's+) fans have Gaborik posters (just found mine the other day). I think if you ask people who watched both play the more exciting player and the more known player would be Gaborik.

Gaborik used to be one of my favorite players, but I know some people hold bad blood against him because of his contract dispute in 2009.

I understand it's probably a personal preference between the two, though. :nod:

Parise will retire with the Wild, so I think he'll end up as one of the most well-known/crowd-favorite players in franchise history.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Gaborik used to be one of my favorite players, but I know some people hold bad blood against him because of his contract dispute in 2009.

I understand it's probably a personal preference between the two, though. :nod:

Parise will retire with the Wild, so I think he'll end up as one of the most well-known/crowd-favorite players in franchise history.

The only person to blame is Risebrough for falling to build around him. Risebrough was rightfully fired that off-season, and Fletcher was already hamstrung by Backstrom's contract, so never even had the option to negotiate with Gaborik as the cap space was made nil by DR already.

Anyone in Gaborik's position would have walked with how DR was falling.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
The only person to blame is Risebrough for falling to build around him. Risebrough was rightfully fired that off-season, and Fletcher was already hamstrung by Backstrom's contract, so never even had the option to negotiate with Gaborik as the cap space was made nil by DR already.

Anyone in Gaborik's position would have walked with how DR was falling.

They offered him something like $8M/yr wasn't it? Frankly, he didn't want to be in MN and craved a large market team. Hence the Rangers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Odd. I'm not saying he is great captain material, but he is the best we've got. I would prefer a captain who can't get bullied physically.

Granny has the heart to be a Captain. The other aspects i don't know about, but not going to doubt the guy's heart.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They offered him something like $8M/yr wasn't it? Frankly, he didn't want to be in MN and craved a large market team. Hence the Rangers.

It never went public what exactly they offered, Gaborik wasn't willing to negotiate that final season (common with players reaching UFA for the first time, look at both Parise and Suter) ...DR's failures were clear at that point. The Wild gave him no reason to think things would improve. Once it was clear, DR overpaid Backstrom trying to save face, and that completely handcuffed Fletcher when he came in.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Koivu will wear the C for 3 more years.

This is what I think, and then the debate when he retires will be should his name be in the rafters or not since I think by then he will have most records? He already has assists and points, and I don't think is far behind Gaborik in terms of just goals maybe 30 or so? which over 3 years is definitely do-able for him.

I think he begins to be the bar set for the organization as to what a Wild legend would be.

I don't know about the C yet, but I could see Zucker wearing an 'A' if he stays here long term.

Every time I see him he puts in a shift, in a slump or not, live, that kid busts his ass. I know his bandwagon is growing within the fan base, but I still feel like he's a dark horse for a lot of fans in general.

I voted Suter, despite me saying things about Koivu above. Also, with Parise's captaincy in other facets I think people make a good point where you put that all together with #oneofus and his popularity and he'd be a choice, though I think it would be tough between him and Suter. Parise, even injured as **** still goes balls to the wall and sets the tone, and I don't think there have been too many negative stories (if any) about him like there have been with Suter.

Plus, look at him wearing essentially his Dad's sweater in the warm ups...if that didn't give you chills it's hard to be a hockey fan, let alone a Minnesotan. For me it's not as much production or marketing, it's who gives the most night in and night out, and he's up there.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is what I think, and then the debate when he retires will be should his name be in the rafters or not since I think by then he will have most records? He already has assists and points, and I don't think is far behind Gaborik in terms of just goals maybe 30 or so? which over 3 years is definitely do-able for him.

I think he begins to be the bar set for the organization as to what a Wild legend would be.
40 behind...

Gaborik - 502gp - 219g, 218a, 437pts
Koivu - 843gp - 179g, 435a, 614pts

Gaborik also still holds the franchise record for GWGs...

Gaborik - 43
Koivu - 31
Parise - 21

Gaborik also still holds the franchise record for PPGs...

Gaborik - 59
Bruno - 55
Koivu - 54
Parise - 45

Wabit

May 23, 2016
40 behind...

Gaborik - 502gp - 219g, 218a, 437pts
Koivu - 843gp - 179g, 435a, 614pts

Gaborik also still holds the franchise record for GWGs...

Gaborik - 43
Koivu - 31
Parise - 21

Gaborik also still holds the franchise record for PPGs...

Gaborik - 59
Bruno - 55
Koivu - 54
Parise - 45

Parise probably ends up as the leader in all those goals categories. He's here for another 85 bazillion years after all. He'll be 40 and players will be banking pucks off him for at least a few PPGs.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Parise probably ends up as the leader in all those goals categories. He's here for another 85 bazillion years after all. He'll be 40 and players will be banking pucks off him for at least a few PPGs.

Parise is 55 goals behind Koivu... at the rate he is capable of... if he can get back to form that is, he could pass Koivu before Koivu passes Gaborik.

Also, Nino is only 41 goals behind Parise... he won't likely pass Koivu before Koivu passes Gaborik, but he will likely pass Koivu shortly there after.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Parise is 55 goals behind Koivu... at the rate he is capable of... if he can get back to form that is, he could pass Koivu before Koivu passes Gaborik.

Also, Nino is only 41 goals behind Parise... he won't likely pass Koivu before Koivu passes Gaborik, but he will likely pass Koivu shortly there after.

That is such a sad stat to think about.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Koivu I'm certain will be Captain throughout his Wild career. Then it will likely be either Parise or Suter. The organization has kissed their butts from the beginning. I don't see that trend changing anytime soon.

I think it is always tough for us outsiders to determine who should wear the 'C'. I think the most important aspect of your Captain is not necessarily on ice skill, but their leadership/respect behind closed doors. Based on what I see on the ice(I know contradicting myself here), I'd give it to Zucker. For a smallish skill player, he will not tolerate any shenanigans from opposing players. Whether those players go against him or his teammates. I'm sure that is not a role coaching expect from Zucker. That's just how he rolls. That's team first thinking there. :yo:

PS- From everything I've read about the kid, Kunin is a natural born leader. I would not be surprised to see him get it down the road. I think that would be a decade away though. After Zach Suter is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad