Speculation: Who will be the Habs next coach?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bolded: What?

They never made Boucher an offer from what I know. They were interviewing him along with Babcock weren't they?

I've heard this quite a few times actually. Babcock was going to Buffalo, so the Leafs got to Boucher.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I've heard this quite a few times actually. Babcock was going to Buffalo, so the Leafs got to Boucher.

Ah yes, I looked this up with Buffalo as new keyword.

Seems like they wanted Babcock but felt he wasn't going to sign so went to their plan B in Boucher but kept Boucher in limbo waiting for Babcock's decision.

I had completely forgot about it.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Bolded: What?

They never made Boucher an offer from what I know. They were interviewing him along with Babcock weren't they?

Unless there's a source saying otherwise I kind of feel that's like saying we would've hired McGuire until Bergevin accepted the job.

I thought we got an analytics guy recently too?

Derek Dreger has said it a few times now that Boucher was the guy the Leafs chose and we're going to offer him a contract up until Babcock called them back and took their offer.

Habs hired an analytics consultant.
Bergevin has said publicly that he feel analytics are more useful in evaluating other teams and players than his own. I believe the quote was "I don't need a number to tell me who has the puck". Not exactly the words of a man who understands and values the data analytics provide. Though I remember him saying the team's Corsi improved during the playoffs during his season ending press conference last year, so he obviously keeps track of some metrics.
Rick Dudley has shown open disdain towards analytics in an interview.
While the Habs have obviously dabbled in analytics, it sounds like it's hardly a focal point of heir decision making. Contrast this to the Leafs who have stressed the importance of staying competitive with the latest analytic data and the Habs just look like dinosaurs.
Kyle Dubas talks a bit about it in this interview (in the second half):
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=797721

I'm not saying the Habs need to start making decisions solely based on an Excel spread sheet, that would equally stupid as ignoring analytics completely. But analytics provide insight into what's working well and what's not with your team and players, and the same around the league. It's simply negligent to allow yourself to fall behind.

Sorry, this needed up being more of a rant than I intended!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Was there ever an NHL assistant coach switching teams during a season in order to get an NHL head coach gig?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Derek Dreger has said it a few times now that Boucher was the guy the Leafs chose and we're going to offer him a contract up until Babcock called them back and took their offer.

Habs hired an analytics consultant.
Bergevin has said publicly that he feel analytics are more useful in evaluating other teams and players than his own. I believe the quote was "I don't need a number to tell me who has the puck". Not exactly the words of a man who understands and values the data analytics provide. Though I remember him saying the team's Corsi improved during the playoffs during his season ending press conference last year, so he obviously keeps track of some metrics.
Rick Dudley has shown open disdain towards analytics in an interview.
While the Habs have obviously dabbled in analytics, it sounds like it's hardly a focal point of heir decision making. Contrast this to the Leafs who have stressed the importance of staying competitive with the latest analytic data and the Habs just look like dinosaurs.
Kyle Dubas talks a bit about it in this interview (in the second half):
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=797721

I'm not saying the Habs need to start making decisions solely based on an Excel spread sheet, that would equally stupid as ignoring analytics completely. But analytics provide insight into what's working well and what's not with your team and players, and the same around the league. It's simply negligent to allow yourself to fall behind.

Sorry, this needed up being more of a rant than I intended!

For what it's worth...I'm a numbers guy and I think advanced stats are overrated.

We have no clue how they are utilizing advanced stats though. We know that Dudley is old school and we know that on the leafs Lou is old school too. So every team has a dinosaur a bit but if MB is cautiously looking at it and he's the main guy that's something isn't it?

I have no idea if our coaching consultant in Ramsay is into analytics. It might be interesting to know.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Groulx has been coaching forever how green is he, really? I know he has not coached in the NHL but the guy has ton of experience. He's not a fast raiser like Boucher was when he went to the NHL for example.

If Groulx is picked as the new head coach, I'm officially cheering for the other 29 teams in the league. I'll start cheering for KHL teams, for teams in the China league, for defunct teams. Not because he's french, because he might be one of the worst human beings that I've ever met.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
For what it's worth...I'm a numbers guy and I think advanced stats are overrated.

We have no clue how they are utilizing advanced stats though. We know that Dudley is old school and we know that on the leafs Lou is old school too. So every team has a dinosaur a bit but if MB is cautiously looking at it and he's the main guy that's something isn't it?

I have no idea if our coaching consultant in Ramsay is into analytics. It might be interesting to know.

Lou is only there short term. Kyle Dubas is heavy into analytics and Babcock is as well. The Leafs also went out and spent high to get a top analytics team.

"With Dubas leading the way, the Leafs now arguably lead the NHL, along with the Chicago Blackhawks, in advancing analytics into a fully integrated part of their hockey operations."

Analytics is not the all to end all in hockey decisions, but it certainly seems that it helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad