Who will be the best player to come out of the 2014 draft?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's when I think your wrong. I doubt Draisaitl will be the best player. I see him as a second line center but I see Reinhart as a first line center in the future.:naughty:
I don't think Reinhart will be a 1st liner, and I only think Draisaitl will be a low end #1. I believe this draft class will go down as one of the weakest in a long long time.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
I don't think Reinhart will be a 1st liner, and I only think Draisaitl will be a low end #1. I believe this draft class will go down as one of the weakest in a long long time.

This draft was very weak..... If only we had the fourth pick last year and the seventh this year..... Seth Jones and William Nylander :yo:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This draft was very weak..... If only we had the fourth pick last year and the seventh this year..... Seth Jones and William Nylander :yo:

More like Seth Jones and Ritchie. Had we traded down, we would have most definitely got Ritchie.

Bps21*

Would love to have seen this poll before the draft lol. I bet bennett leaped on everyone's list playing no games between the 7 pm that day and now. ...

And the people saying Reinhart won't be a #1 center will end up being factually correct. That's where McDavid or Eichel will be playing for the sabres.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If I were a betting man I'd put money on Reinhart. I think it's realistically between the top 4 and he has the least red flags. Bennett looks like he might have more potential, but I think he's the biggest bust risk of the group as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Would love to have seen this poll before the draft lol. I bet bennett leaped on everyone's list playing no games between the 7 pm that day and now. ...

And the people saying Reinhart won't be a #1 center will end up being factually correct. That's where McDavid or Eichel will be playing for the sabres.
actually people were very high on Bennett and Ekblad before the draft around here. Me, not so much. But conformity is not my strong suit.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I def don't think it will be Bennett, I'm just not sold on him yet.

My guess is Ekblad.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

I'm with you in that Draisaitl will likely experience the most success out of this group for the sheer fact that (aside from his combination of skill and size that not many other prospects from this class can boast) he will be given every opportunity to shine in Edmonton with their lack of depth down the middle, and will arguably be surrounded by more talent right off the bat than guys like Reinhart and Bennett will be for quite some time.

As weak as the 2014 draft class may be regarded comparatively speaking over time, I still think there will turn out to be a few gems from that first round; I'll definitely be keeping an eye on guys like Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie, Perlini, Honka, Sanheim, Tuch, McCann, Scherbak, and Ho Sang to see if and how any or all of them pan out.

Last edited:

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Bennett may not end up with the highest point totals and be the prettiest player statistically from this draft. But in 10 years he'll be the guy you want because he'll be a big part in winning you games and hopefully cups. Right now, I'd be less pleased having any other player from this draft, including each of the three drafted before him. Being atleast half a year younger than the top 3 and not nearly fully developed makes me even more excited to see him prove to so many people he will be the class of this draft 10 years down the road.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Bennett may not end up with the highest point totals and be the prettiest player statistically from this draft. But in 10 years he'll be the guy you want because he'll be a big part in winning you games and hopefully cups. Right now, I'd be less pleased having any other player from this draft, including each of the three drafted before him. Being atleast half a year younger than the top 3 and not nearly fully developed makes me even more excited to see him prove to so many people he will be the class of this draft 10 years down the road.

Prior to the draft, I was wishfully thinking that VAN would trade up with FLA to snag Reinhart (I'm sure they tried, and were probably the closest of any offers Tallon may have received), and that Ekblad would fall to us at #4 to shore up our prospect depth at D with a legitimate future NHL'er.. I even went so far as to say Bennett would be our "consolation prize", but over time I'm coming to like this pick more and more; I think Bennett's got a great attitude and work ethic (despite the pull-up debacle lol) and still tons of room to grow and mature yet.. As much as I felt Ekblad might've been a perfect fit here, there was just something's about his personality that didn't really jive with me in some of the interviews I watched; just seemed a little too big for his britches, for my liking -- a tad egocentric, perhaps? I dunno.. just didn't seem as humble as Bennett or even Reinhart (who you'd almost expect to be moreso inflated due to his hockey roots). That said, these guys are still kids in a sense, full of whiz and vinegar, especially the top guys.. I guess anyone might develop a complex hearing themselves constantly mentioned as a potential number one pick, or maybe I'm the only one who sees it.. Here's hoping Aaron can make a speedy recovery and get back to his regularly scheduled development; I look forward to watching him contribute as a part of the Panthers D-corps for years to come.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I agree that Draisaitl could end up being the best in the draft. My only real knock on him is he needs to keep working on his skating. Oilers got a gooder. Gonna be tough hating him the next decade or so.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I'm looking forward to seeing quick offensive teams burning Draisaitl over and over in his zone. Sure, Bennett may go back to junior this year but I'd love to see Draisaitl's +/- at years end.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bennett should be sent back to juniors for this coming season and potentially next season too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He has 2 more years of CHL eligibility left. He is eligible for the AHL in 2016-17

I think he is probably is a couple years away at this point, he is still quite raw in a lot of areas. It's to bad though, I think a full year in the AHL next season would do him good, whereas he may be to good Jr.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he is probably is a couple years away at this point, he is still quite raw in a lot of areas. It's to bad though, I think a full year in the AHL next season would do him good, whereas he may be to good Jr.
No player is too good for junior, it is such a ridiculous notion. It's not like he will be able to learn nothing by being there. He will also have a new coach this coming season, so we will see how that helps him too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No player is too good for junior, it is such a ridiculous notion. It's not like he will be able to learn nothing by being there. He will also have a new coach this coming season, so we will see how that helps him too.

That's true, and I suppose I worded that poorly. But the question becomes what is best for his development in 2 seasons, playing against guys he is absolutely dominating, or playing against a higher, in between level of competition? I think he would still learn and benefit from playing 2 more seasons in Jr, but depending on how this year goes, in an ideal world I think the AHL the following season could be a better option.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
I voted Reinhart, but if there was an option for my favorite player it would be Bennett. I think Reinhart gets underrated because of all the "weak draft" talk. I think he'll end up being one hell of an NHL player. He really does have an elite hockey sense, and always makes the smart play. I think his skating and lack of drive will keep him from being elite, but he'll be a very valuable player for Buffalo behind Tavares.

That being said, I absolutely love the way Bennett plays. Yes, he probably takes too many penalties and will have to tone that down at the NHL level, but he will very quickly become a fan favorite I think. That combination of grit and skill and absolute bull-doggendness around the puck is invaluable to any team. With a guy like Bennett on your team you can almost guarantee that we won't fall into the "Old Boy's Club" we endured over the last few seasons.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I voted Reinhart, but if there was an option for my favorite player it would be Bennett. I think Reinhart gets underrated because of all the "weak draft" talk. I think he'll end up being one hell of an NHL player. He really does have an elite hockey sense, and always makes the smart play. I think his skating and lack of drive will keep him from being elite, but he'll be a very valuable player for Buffalo behind Tavares.

That being said, I absolutely love the way Bennett plays. Yes, he probably takes too many penalties and will have to tone that down at the NHL level, but he will very quickly become a fan favorite I think. That combination of grit and skill and absolute bull-doggendness around the puck is invaluable to any team. With a guy like Bennett on your team you can almost guarantee that we won't fall into the "Old Boy's Club" we endured over the last few seasons.

So like a Ferlend/Bennett/Poirier line would drive teams nuts?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
After watching the World Junior development camp Canada had I have to say I really like Nick Ritchie. He takes too many penalties right now, but he likes to hit everything that moves and can score and to me really looks like a legit NHL power forward.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
After watching the World Junior development camp Canada had I have to say I really like Nick Ritchie. He takes too many penalties right now, but he likes to hit everything that moves and can score and to me really looks like a legit NHL power forward.

I was so torn on him as a player, I think hes awesome and I have compared him to Iginla in the past, but I didn't want him with our 4th overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad