Who will be the best player to come out of the 2014 draft?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I usually am not biased, but I really think Bennett will turn out to be a steal at #4. Ekblad would be my next choice.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Pretty early to tell but I have high hopes for Bennett. I think he has more raw skill than anyone else in the draft. Dal Colle would be my dark horse.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I went with baby Reinhart.

I just feel he's the purest talent that will transition to the NHL in the most impressive way. There are some wingers that were picked, I feel that they'll just be those skill guys that don't really win you the cup; i.e they'll get their 60-70 points in the league independent if the team is 1st in the league or 30th. Him and Bennett are definitely the two players picked that can get a team over; I just feel that Reinhart's game transitions to the NHL a bit better than Bennett, as his game doesn't have physicality involved with it at all.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I chose Reinhart. I think Bennett will be very close, but I think Sam is a special player.

Last edited:

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
Gotta go with Reinhart. Got the best hockey sense out of all of the top prospects and always knows where to be at the right time. Bennett's pretty close too but until he adds some muscle, he won't be much of a threat.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I feel like Ekblad has terrific tools to be a great NHL player. After that the first 3 forwards taken all are a wash as they all will develop down different paths and it's hard to say which will translate the best.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hey, I gave my reasoning!

A case could easily be made for him of course. Personally I respect you as a poster and I'm fine with your opinion, but MonahanTheMan's point is totally valid. If we ended up with Reinhart, what do you think the results in this thread would be?

Ah well, I'm a homer to, big time! I said Gaudreau would surpass Iginla's point totals as a Flame. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Boy there's a whole lotta homering going on in this thread

Well of course. Hehe.
If you did this on any of the top 10s board; their pick would be number one.

I am more than happy with Bennett; but there was clearly a reason Reinhart went number 2; and that the Sabres were even thinking of trading that pick if someone moved down to 1 to get him. People forget about that at the start of draft day. I was saying it here days leading in the draft and homer Sabre fans were like "no wayyyyy; we pick at 2! It would cost your first, 2 a level prospects to get us to move!"

Which of course, was ridiculous.

Is it just me, or does anyone totally not want the guys in buffalo to get the number 1 or 2 pick next year.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I said it before the draft and I'll say it now, Florida should have picked Sam Bennett. He's the youngest in the top four, most room for improvement in my opinion. His jump and compete level I feel is leaps ahead of the other two top forwards while his skill level is right up with them. Ekblad has this appealing name and size to hop right into the lineup but I feel his impact on an NHL team will not be the same as the top forwards. I feel he is a great second pairing dman or a mediocre #2 dman. In 10 years, Bennett may not have the most goals or points (Reinhardt or Dal Colle with JT) but I feel he will be the most valuable player based on his complete game and killer instinct. Out of the 4, we got the player I wanted. So no bias on my part.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
A case could easily be made for him of course. Personally I respect you as a poster and I'm fine with your opinion, but MonahanTheMan's point is totally valid. If we ended up with Reinhart, what do you think the results in this thread would be?

Ah well, I'm a homer to, big time! I said Gaudreau would surpass Iginla's point totals as a Flame. :laugh:

Respect is for nerds.

My darkhorse for Best Player is Ho-Sang.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Ho-Sang plays less than 50 career games.
Draisaitl will be the best player picked.
McDonald will be the best goalie picked.
Bennett ends up a 2nd line winger but still a top 5 player in the draft.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
I think Ho-Sang plays less than 50 career games.
Draisaitl will be the best player picked.
McDonald will be the best goalie picked.
Bennett ends up a 2nd line winger but still a top 5 player in the draft.

That's when I think your wrong. I doubt Draisaitl will be the best player. I see him as a second line center but I see Reinhart as a first line center in the future.:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad