Who to pick at number 18 #1

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
how come Konecny had no improvement offensively from last year to this year? does someone have the answers

injuries from what i understand. If its encouraging he supposedly had one of the hottest second halfs of any player in the CHL. I think he might be going lower then his actual talent and ability should dicate

Salituro actually finished with more points. Kinda surprised me

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
BPA, don't really care who it is.

The draft isn't telegraphed as of right now, it could unfold in like 20 different ways before our pick comes up. Just hope a guy in Dorion's/ the scouts top-10 falls to us at 18 and be happy wiyh whoever it is.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I voted Konecny but doubt he will be there.

Option #2 for me is Bittner, then Sprong, then Chabot.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
know we won't take him and he honestly feels like he could be a bust.. But Svechnikov could be a monster if he pans out.

Came close to taking Eriksson Ek. Like how he's risen over the second half of the year, seems like he screams Sens pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Svechnikov

6'2 power winger that has every tool necessary to develop into a 1st line winger that is capable of putting up 60+ point seasons at the NHL level. His potential is on the same level or higher than guys like Rantanen, Zacha, Connor and Meier, but he might be available after 15 because of his nationality.

If he's gone give me one of Chabot/Boeser/Dunn/Konecny/Eriksson Ek - all would be solid choices at 18, but I'm really hoping we find a way to nab Svechnikov. If there's a Corey Perry hiding somewhere in this 1st round it's him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Out of that group, the ones that peak my interest are (in no particular order):

Merkley
Svechnikov
Boeser
Roy
Konecny

Any of these guys I'd be happy with. Only one I really don't want to see Ottawa grab would be Bittner. All the scouting reports I've read make it sound like he's lazy.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Although I'm supper wary of Russian players, Svechnikov would be my choice.

I'm glad that I'm not the guy making the decision though.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I went Svechnikov, for 2 reasons:
1. I assumed Konecny will be gone.
Svechnikov

6'2 power winger that has every tool necessary to develop into a 1st line winger that is capable of putting up 60+ point seasons at the NHL level. His potential is on the same level or higher than guys like Rantanen, Zacha, Connor and Meier, but he might be available after 15 because of his nationality.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Even that one has two pronunciations. And all those accents, yuck

I like White. Plus he's already got nhl experience, assuming it's the same guy.

lol, true.

Hell, I still screw up when trying to spell Zibby's name (hence why he's always called Zibby in my posts). All these crazy kids today with these freaky names.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Assuming we take a Russian, I have no idea why we would grab Svechnikov ahead of Guryanov having seen both more than enough to have a strong judgement. Guryanov is ahead on so many levels.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Assuming we take a Russian, I have no idea why we would grab Svechnikov ahead of Guryanov having seen both more than enough to have a strong judgement. Guryanov is ahead on so many levels.

What levels would those be? I have not seen any of these youngsters so I have no informed opinion.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
What levels would those be? I have not seen any of these youngsters so I have no informed opinion.

Well, let's start with what's similar. Both are pro sized and use their body to

make space to use their talent. They have the ability to be excellent players at the

next level since they have very good vision and already pro calibre shots and think

the game at a high level.

The difference lies on the playing style and drive of both of these guys. When talking

about pure talent, I'd say they are comparable, it's tough to give the edge to one of

them at this point. Svechnikov is a passive player, he waits for the puck and isn't a

checking type player, not the fastest guy either. He's not slow by any mean but he's

an average skater in today's league. He doesn't work to create something unless he

has the puck and he tends to do too much by himself when he does have the puck.

His defensive game needs a good amount of work and he also needs to be much

more consistant in his efforts . Some nights he's invisible, some nights he's the best

player on the ice and that's frustrating to see. Nothing more frustrating when a guy

has so much to offer but shows a lack of effort. All in all, very talented and good

shot/release, lacks determintation/consistency and needs to be aware defensively.

On the other hand, Guryanov plays an aggressive style. He's always on the puck,

he's faster than Svechnikov and most importantly he plays defense. Guryanov

is a train and the best thing is he never stops. At this point he is stronger than

Svechnikov and he uses his size much better. He's very hard to contain because of

his size and speed combination. When you see Guryanov play vs Svechnikov, you

know there's not a single doubt that Guryanov is on another level completely. He

just plays the game perfectly in terms of offense, defense, drive, aggresiveness,

speed , IQ etc.. There's not much to dislike about this kid. He goes get the puck

behind the net, cycles the puck, hits. He's the type of player you don't want to

have to play against ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad