Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft? COVID edition

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Serious question that I don’t think has been discussed much if any around here ...

How would everyone feel if the Jets select Askarov who they feel is BPA at that spot?

I could see an epic meltdown on these boards about selecting a goaltender when you have a reigning Vezina Winner on the roster. It is not completely unheard of though as I believe Montreal selected Price while they still had Theodore winning trophies for them.

Just a question that would blindside and throw practically everyone around here for quite the loop.

I think Askarov is going to be spectacular, and I would understand the pick, but then something else needs to come down the pipe in a Laine trade.

Reactions: Nedarb

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Serious question that I don’t think has been discussed much if any around here ...

How would everyone feel if the Jets select Askarov who they feel is BPA at that spot?

I could see an epic meltdown on these boards about selecting a goaltender when you have a reigning Vezina Winner on the roster. It is not completely unheard of though as I believe Montreal selected Price while they still had Theodore winning trophies for them.

Just a question that would blindside and throw practically everyone around here for quite the loop.
if askarov lives up to his potential I'd be fine with this. Look at how teams like washington have picked first round goalies and have them ready to take over when their starters contracts are up (samsonov and holtby). If he could step in as an elite goalie for cheap when Helle wants a 10mil contract, that could be well worth the investment.

I'd prefer to see them pick a skater but if they don't like who is there and love Askarov I would not complain

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I would be fine with that. I enjoy epic meltdowns as much as the next guy.

Of course, we would have to trade Laine then. Board rules allow for only one deeply divisive mega-thread per team. :nod:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Just listened to an interview of Rossi. Apparently he was asked by an organization if he'd punch his mom in the face to win. He said no. Definite faller. Not a team player :sarcasm:

It's amazing how these kids get evaluated. I remember Vincent talking about how Vesalainen was progressing, that he was able to cook his own meals:laugh:. So much focus on the mental aspect, aside from hockey, is a big part of drafting and developing. You can leave it all out on the ice but I think True North likes players who have a good work ethic, and training. That's how Harkins rose this year.

I still wonder if draft age isn't a factor. A kid like Quinn has a distinct advantage over Jarvis because of his later birthday. Anyone with a 2001 birthday in this class, that plays in juniors, can play in the minors next year, so you get an enhanced development year.

I'm looking at Quinn as the replacement for Wheeler on the top line. Jarvis has a longer road to get there, but his talent and speed especially might be something that woos the organization. A player like Lundell probably has a 2c ceiling. The two defensemen talked about Sanderson and Drysdale both have 1st pairing qualities, but Sanderson would have a harder road to get there in the Jets organization I think, and I don't suspect they think he will be available.

Rossi's an interest one, if his size makes him a faller, well maybe you get another Ehlers like pick in the top 10.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think it would be nice to have a highly touted goalie in the system. But part of me wonders if Askarov would enjoy playing in a market like Winnipeg. I think theres a reason the Jets usually stay away from Russians. They tend to gravitate to big markets.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's amazing how these kids get evaluated. I remember Vincent talking about how Vesalainen was progressing, that he was able to cook his own meals:laugh:. So much focus on the mental aspect, aside from hockey, is a big part of drafting and developing. You can leave it all out on the ice but I think True North likes players who have a good work ethic, and training. That's how Harkins rose this year.

I still wonder if draft age isn't a factor. A kid like Quinn has a distinct advantage over Jarvis because of his later birthday. Anyone with a 2001 birthday in this class, that plays in juniors, can play in the minors next year, so you get an enhanced development year.

I'm looking at Quinn as the replacement for Wheeler on the top line. Jarvis has a longer road to get there, but his talent and speed especially might be something that woos the organization. A player like Lundell probably has a 2c ceiling. The two defensemen talked about Sanderson and Drysdale both have 1st pairing qualities, but Sanderson would have a harder road to get there in the Jets organization I think, and I don't suspect they think he will be available.

Rossi's an interest one, if his size makes him a faller, well maybe you get another Ehlers like pick in the top 10.

I'd be a bit worried about Rossi if he was your typical "small player" like Petan was.

Guy is going to look like St. Louis in his lower body in a few years if he doesn't already.

upload_2020-10-6_6-59-28.png

Reactions: DRC

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Watch Quinn’s highlights on YouTube and watch the number of easy open net tap in goals Or puck put on his tape in the slot all alone he scores and you will see how dynamic Rossi is. Rossi is also a beast in the weight room. He is not the second coming of Petan. If available Jets should seriously consider him. I would love to see them get Rossi and Jarvis some way some how...

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone feel that Chevy saying they take BPA makes it seem like he's not going to take a centre. Cause we all know that's their biggest need. Sounds a bit to me like he's targeting Sanderson and/or a great winger at 10. Maybe I read a bit too much into his comment....

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Watch Quinn’s highlights on YouTube and watch the number of easy open net tap in goals Or puck put on his tape in the slot all alone he scores and you will see how dynamic Rossi is. Rossi is also a beast in the weight room. He is not the second coming of Petan. If available Jets should seriously consider him. I would love to see them get Rossi and Jarvis some way some how...
Rossi will be gone IMO. He's just too good. One of Quinn, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti will be around likely.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Interesting to hear this morning on 1290 that Adam Kimelman thinks Sanderson will be available at 10.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think the available players at 10 will be Holtz, Quinn, or Jarvis. So I think one of those will be who the Jets select.

Now, if the package of Pesce, Nečas, and #13 from Carolina comes true, then I'd love to grab Lapierre at 13. Future 2C there. Just need to grab a temporary 2C, say Turris, and we'd look good:

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Turris-Nečas
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Harkins-Gus-Appleton

Morrisey-Pesce
Samberg-Pionk/DeMelo
Heinola-Poolman

With Lapierre and Holtz/Quinn/Jarvis in the pipeline.

Imagine if we can re-sign DeMelo too.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

nhlpro

Nov 12, 2015
Peg City
I think the available players at 10 will be Holtz, Quinn, or Jarvis. So I think one of those will be who the Jets select.

Now, if the package of Pesce, Nečas, and #13 from Carolina comes true, then I'd love to grab Lapierre at 13. Future 2C there. Just need to grab a temporary 2C, say Turris, and we'd look good:

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Turris-Nečas
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Harkins-Gus-Appleton

Morrisey-Pesce
Samberg-Pionk/DeMelo
Heinola-Poolman

With Lapierre and Holtz/Quinn/Jarvis in the pipeline.

Imagine if we can re-sign DeMelo too.

Garbage Offense without Laine in that Lineup.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Damn! This is such a deep draft class. There are really good players right into the middle of the 2nd rd. It would have been the time to accumulate some extra picks.

Not looking like Laine will be moved in a deal involving 2020 picks. Nor anyone else either.

Reactions: Channelcat

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Franchise history of Top 10 picks:

1999 - Patrik Stefan (1)
2000 - Dany Heatley (2)
2001 - Ilya Kovalchuk (1)
2002 - Kari Lehtonen (2)
2003 - Braydon Coburn (8)
2004 - Boris Valabik (10)
2008 - Zach Bogosian (3)
2009 - Evander Kane (4)
2010 - Alexander Burmistrov (8)
2011 - Mark Scheifele (7)
2012 - Jacob Trouba (8)
2014 - Nikolaj Ehlers (9)
2016 - Patrik Laine (2)

Can't complain about the Top 10s since the franchise moved to Winnipeg. It's a pretty mixed bag before that.

Edit: Jets 1.0 picked 10th overall once as well in 1988 - a guy named Teemu Selanne.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting list - if it actually went that way, some names of interest at 10 would be Lapierre, Sanderson, Jarvis, Holtz, or Lundell

It would be hard to choose among them.

There are some wild variations in widely available lists. This is a reflection of the depth of this draft class. However it actually goes, we will have 4-5 very good players to choose from. And probably another 4-5 pretty good choices at 40.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Fire Chevy!
On the spot.

Then sell Askarov to the highest bidder. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would be fine with that. I enjoy epic meltdowns as much as the next guy.

Of course, we would have to trade Laine then. Board rules allow for only one deeply divisive mega-thread per team. :nod:

Trade Laine. Trade Hellebuyck. Trade Scheifele. Full on tank move.

How much do you get for a Vezina winner and a 1C both under contract for 4 more years at 6 mil each AAV? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad