Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft? COVID edition

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think that just gives him that extra little nudge if all else is equal. I'm guessing the Jets think Jarvis is the better player though. Most do.

If they believe he's the best due to abiliry on the ice that is fine. I was juat saying g him being a fan is a nice to have not a must have and really shouldn't factor into the decision making process much if at all.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If they believe he's the best due to abiliry on the ice that is fine. I was juat saying g him being a fan is a nice to have not a must have and really shouldn't factor into the decision making process much if at all.

It's far more likely he stays which may factor into the decision. Winnipeg isn't exactly the Ritz so to get having guys who have been fans of the team, probably dreamt of playing on the team and are familiar with and have family in the city is a positive. The fact that he is a good player is the main point, the likelihood of him seeing Winnipeg as a long term home is just a positive reinforcement.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy thinks that by moving from #12 to #10 they moved up into a "cluster" of players that he thinks wouldn't be available at #12. That's interesting.

Suggests to me they aren't targeting players like Guhle or Schneider or Mercer, or maybe even Jarvis. More likely that they are zoned in on players like Rossi or Holtz or Sanderson, or maybe Lundell or Quinn.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Chevy thinks that by moving from #12 to #10 they moved up into a "cluster" of players that he thinks wouldn't be available at #12. That's interesting.

Suggests to me they aren't targeting players like Guhle or Schneider or Mercer, or maybe even Jarvis. More likely that they are zoned in on players like Rossi or Holtz or Sanderson, or maybe Lundell or Quinn.

Yea so they jumped a tier in their opinion. It was interesting to see that the black book felt that 2nd tier included Byfield.

Jumping into a higher tier is very material.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yea so they jumped a tier in their opinion. It was interesting to see that the black book felt that 2nd tier included Byfield.

Jumping into a higher tier is very material.
Byfield is a pipe dream, but it suggests to me that maybe the Jets have a somewhat clear top-10. My guess?

1 Laf
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4-10 Perfetti, Raymond, Sanderson, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz, Quinn (maybe Lundell).

Askarov is another wild-card in the top-10, which would perhaps lead to one of the top 9 dropping to 10.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree. But I do think that drafting players that seem more likely to sign long-term makes some sense. For example, I would have thought that Matthews would be really difficult to keep in Winnipeg long term. Trying to avoid situations like Trouba would be a benefit...

I think keeping Matthews in Toronto will be tough. I don't know about you Whileee but to me that kid looks like he can't wait to get on the first plane back to the States. I know he is buddies with Marner but outside that he has never looked comfortable in that market. Its got a weird vibe.

That 5 year deal with such a high AAV was pretty bad. Just think about it many fans are stressed here because of the lack of certainty with Laine. In Toronto they are paying Matthews an AAV of $11,634,000 and he only has this season and two more left before his NMC kicks in. So they have 3 seasons of certainty (what we have of Laine currently) and a rental year if they want to burn the asset value before he's gone if he wants to. So Toronto is paying an insane amount of cash for one more year of control over Matthews than we have with Laine.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think keeping Matthews in Toronto will be tough. I don't know about you Whileee but to me that kid looks like he can't wait to get on the first plane back to the States. I know he is buddies with Marner but outside that he has never looked comfortable in that market. Its got a weird vibe.

That 5 year deal with such a high AAV was pretty bad. Just think about it many fans are stressed here because of the lack of certainty with Laine. In Toronto they are paying Matthews an AAV of $11,634,000 and he only has this season and two more left before his NMC kicks in. So they have 3 seasons of certainty (what we have of Laine currently) and a rental year if they want to burn the asset value before he's gone if he wants to. So Toronto is paying an insane amount of cash for one more year of control over Matthews than we have with Laine.

When your pants are around your ankles... it can get uncomfortable in winter... in Toronto...

So ya... weird vibe and Matthews is uncomfortable...

:sarcasm:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

one disadvantage for Perfetti, Rossi, Drsdale, Quinn and Jarvis is that they could become major covid victims and miss out on their D+1 seasons. The swedes, Lundell and Lapierre are the guys in our "cluster" that are fortunate enough to have a league to play in.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
If we trade Laine, it's probably because he is not happy being behind Wheeler, like Trouba wasn't happy being behind Buff. I don't think he gets traded because of his play, as he has made strides.

I think these kids are too entitled. You listen to Bryan Little talk, and he says I'll play wherever I can help the team. Where are those guys, especially amongst the younger players.

Bryan Little has to say that because he is a utility player. Scheifele seems to be picking his linemates and hierarchy, Little doesn't get to because he isn't a young star.

If you want to build a team around vets who are just happy to fit somewhere in the roster, that's cheaper to fullfill than having young star players who expect to be played like one, not like a veteran journeyman.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bryan Little has to say that because he is a utility player. Scheifele seems to be picking his linemates and hierarchy, Little doesn't get to because he isn't a young star.

If you want to build a team around vets who are just happy to fit somewhere in the roster, that's cheaper to fullfill than having young star players who expect to be played like one, not like a veteran journeyman.

Every one of the young kids, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic got tastes of the 4th line. And worked their way up. Even when Laine was struggling, he never got demoted. I think he played on Lowry's line for part of a game. I get what you are saying though. And it's true, the difference between a rising star and a falling one, often. It's the new age. Where young players have a lot more entitlement than they once did. But I mean when free agency was 31, you had to work your way up the ladder to get your once in a lifetime contract. Now you can get 2 of them in your career. First one right out of entry level. It's a young players league now.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Rossi is available, the Jets should grab him and run. I think he'll be a good C. He's driven to succeed, and is really good.

Grab him and run if he is a LW too.
Trade Laine.
Move Ehlers to RW.
Find a C somewhere, internally if necessary. Use Copp to win draws and play defense between Ehlers and Rossi. Or put the 2 playmaking wingers with shooter Scheifele.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The guys I really want to see get drafted early.

Holtz Askarov + 1 from outside the consensus top 10. If that comes together we are looking at a prime faller.

Holtz, Askarov and Lapierre go top 9, we get a very good player. Maybe Rossi, maybe Sanderson.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. I don't see a huge swing towards players that are able to play. Draft stock might rise a small bit but nothing ground changing.

Pro scouts and GM's are not as vulnerable to recency bias as us fans. :laugh: I should hope their lists are made.

Reactions: KingBogo

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
both rounds are on sportsnet 6 pm for round one tomorrow and 10:30 am on weds

So looking forward to the covid NHL draft. Bet it looks a lot like the CFL draft. You know what they should do?

Have a camera crew van full of jerseys waiting outside the homes of the top 40-50 players so when/if their name is called in the first round someone can meet the player on the front sidewalk and hand them (with a 2 meter pole, of course) the appropriate jersey to pull on. Granted, this could be expensive given that some are in Europe but hey, this is the big leagues and how do you put a price on showmanship, right? :nod:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I am really hoping for one of two guys to slide tomorrow:

Rossi and Drysdale. I think both are going to be very special and fill organizational needs..

damn tomorrow could be really really exciting guys...

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Serious question that I don’t think has been discussed much if any around here ...

How would everyone feel if the Jets select Askarov who they feel is BPA at that spot?

I could see an epic meltdown on these boards about selecting a goaltender when you have a reigning Vezina Winner on the roster. It is not completely unheard of though as I believe Montreal selected Price while they still had Theodore winning trophies for them.

Just a question that would blindside and throw practically everyone around here for quite the loop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad