Who should the Flames draft in 2014?

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
If we can get 1st or 2nd overall, I'd go for Ekblad, since we don't have a elite defensive prospect in our system and.. freaking McDavid in 2015.
But then again, we could reunite the Reinhart brothers.. argh, I don't know! :help:
Who do you think we should draft?

Also, where is Virtanen ranked in next years draft, I kind of want to know, since I don't watch the Hitmen too much.

Aug 3, 2010
BPA could change in a year's time so whoever they are.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Yeah, too early to say. But Flames's defensive prospect pool lacks more elite talent than their offense. So just because of that voted Ekblad.

Trae

Calgary
A lot can change in a year, but if I had to choose right now I'd lean toward Reinhart if we were drafting top 2. We are seeing more teams pass on defense prospects with those top picks in recent years, though I don't want to imitate the Oilers, I'd take Reinhart since there is no guarantee we get McDavid in 2015 and my number one priority is solidifying that Center depth. Monahan, Reinhart, Jankowski, Reinhart, knight, does that. If Jankowski pans out, then we move Reinhart to our other weakness, RW since he's a righty. We have better defensemen prospects in our system right now than Edmonton had when they started. Defense will come, and starting off with Brodie, Wotherspoon, and Sieloff is a good start. Not including any current roster players going forward:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Reinhart
Baertschi - Jankowski - Poirier
Klimchuk - Reinhart - Granlund
Bouma - Knight - Hanowski

Reinhart fills the number 1 Center slot if Jankowski doesn't fit.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I really like Ekblad, so him. But we have a whole year to see where the Flames end up and the rankings always change.

mdexm

Apr 2, 2013
I would love to grab Ekblad. Sure d-men can flop and take a long time to become game changers in the NHL, but I'll eat my shirt if he's not top 4 on the team that drafts him right out of the gate.

I like Sam but Defense is going to be our biggest need moving forward (until McDavid is available, always room for a generational talent).

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
right now its ekblad. 2015 draft has lots of elite forward prospects so im not way to worried if we draft around 3rd in 2015

TylerSVT*

I voted Ekblad but the more i think about it the more i would go Reinhart or Nylander depending on how the year goes.

Ekblad is a man among boys right now. Here he is at 17....

aaron_ekblad_barrie_colts.jpg

Dude looks like Weber already.

Makes me wonder how dominating he can be in the NHL as well.

I just think we need a solid D prospect outside of Wotherspoon and Seiloff.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I voted Ekblad but the more i think about it the more i would go Reinhart or Nylander depending on how the year goes.

Ekblad is a man among boys right now. Here he is at 17....

aaron_ekblad_barrie_colts.jpg

Dude looks like Weber already.

Makes me wonder how dominating he can be in the NHL as well.

I just think we need a solid D prospect outside of Wotherspoon and Seiloff.

Agreed. We need a #1 projected D prospect. We can always pick up another forward in 2015.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
There's a lot to like next year at the top end. Lot's of talented pivots and power forwards. It's still early but I think top 3 will end up being a race between Nylander, Reinhart and Ekblad.

Ekblad could be the Flames version of Suter and the answer to our need for a number 1 dman.

Nylander or Reinhart could be the stud with Monahan to make a dominant top 2 center pairing.

Can't really go wrong.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I would have voted Nylander if he was available, Going to for sure be a 30 goal right wing Sniper in the NHL.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
An impact defensemen. We drafted 3 forwards this year in the first round. Next year we might need to reverse roles and draft a defensemen early and forwards later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad