Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Good faith? If this was 3-4 yrs ago I wouldn't be saying the same thing as Russia wasn't in the hot war they are in now. What the hell don't you comprehend? The 3 guys you listed were not Michkov or Demidov..so ya I am talking about top Russian players who were/are rated as potential top 3 picks not lower tier guys like you mentioned.
If that was the case then no one would be coming over at all not just top 3 picks. Miroshenko was literally seen as a top 5 pick in 2022 before he had cancer and fell just past your cherry picked margin.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
For me Buium is going to be the best player of this draft. So I’m happy to draft him @ 2 overall, yet I hope KD plays up draft rankings and other team views and trades down and acquires more assets, while still nabbing buium.
To me he has all the physical attributes( skating, skills, not big but solid and strong) combined with a high hockey IQ. He’s very cal markar(esque).
Also he has the ability to adjust and elevate his game against stiffer competition and big Game moments.
Not to mention , he’s just winner at every level he’s played , and a leader amongst winners.
I try to trade down a bit for more assets while still getting him , but if not I take him at 2 , I’d take him at 1 actually
I like Buium but he's not the best player of this draft.

He's nowhere near as dynamic. Odd comp to me.
The comp is Adam Fox.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Sure but he has been playing there for two seasons now and playing against two or three years older players. 71 games and 122 points in regular season and 41 points in 27 playoff games in that period. He has produced there better than Michkov did. Not saying that he is better or will be than Michkov but just saying. This kid is special.
I agree. I would take him, I’m just saying that the MHL quality is less analyzed in NA. We don’t have those questions readily answered. Saying he won’t come or I’m nervous cause he’s Russian is irrelevant. I can atleast buy the league quality argument. That’s my only point.

Reactions: Muffinalt

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People have it completely the opposite.

In fact, the proportion of Russians in the NHL is the highest it has been in 20 years, since 2003-04 before the Lockout when some players went home, and which dipped to its lowest with the rise of the KHL and oligarchs offering stupid and non-financially sound salaries for top players. Through a combination of better player development (the MHL, for all its critiques of level of play, is a net positive for players as a developmental league for aged 16-20 year old Russian players before they get to the KHL/VHL) and a slow down of a bidding war for top NHL talents, more Russian players are on NHL rosters and carving out roles, up and down the lineup.

Russians have and continue to sign NHL Entry Level Contracts out of Russia post Ukraine invasion. I think there were about 12 last offseason and a couple of others have already signed after the most recent KHL season with the offseason not even in full force yet. There was exactly one player that faced difficulties, and he is currently over and just signed an NHL extension.

The biggest Russian Factor concerns are that it may take them a while to come over as the KHL people would really prefer players wait until they are 23 or 24 and have already given some near-prime seasons in the KHL like Panarin and Kaprizov, but I would say that really hasn't been the case. The other concern is if they don't stick in a Top 9 role they may go back to the KHL for a comparable salary and not have to worry about playing in the AHL or in a buried role... but if a player can't hold down a Top 9 role for the drafting team, it doesn't bring me any greater comfort knowing he will bounce around some NHL/AHL rosters for the next decade and potentially be a Former First Round Pick Jarred Tinordi-esque 30 year old waiver claim for somebody. The effect on the drafting team is the same.

In the case of Michkov, the potential waiting factor is a possible detriment as you'd ideally like a guy to come in fairly quickly, and if you are a GM worried about your own position you really do. Of course you'll wait for the right talent (see Kaprizov, who was a very low pick). In the case of Demidov, we know he wants to come over soon, and it's not like one year is a big deal, as you're likely waiting at least a year no matter who you pick at the spot.

The geopolitical World War III talk is hyperbole. The Ukraine War has gone on for a while now, and is basically at a stalemate as far as positioning for some time. There is little reason to think the situation will escalate and it's just a matter of waiting to see who loses the will to keep fighting first. If anything, the situation in Russia Hockey is at the most stable it's been in some time now, with a healthy KHL full of financially stable organizations that gets good media coverage and plays in front of healthy and well-packed arenas, with a feeder system in the MHL to develop and bring in domestic young talent.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Lets be honest, most of us don't follow Russian hockey very closely. But the clips and reading I've seen all indicate that this kid has damn special potential.
They actually had a lot of games streamed on YouTube without geopolitical restriction. I work remote and would have the Playoff games streamed a lot of the time as it'd typically be around 9 or 10 am our time when they'd play. Demidov very notably stands out amongst his competition.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
The problem I have with Levshunov is he doesn't fill the need for a power play defenseman. I have heavy doubts he becomes a PP #1 guy and I don't think we have one of those in our system
I mean he had 35 points in 38 games as an 18 year old freshman defenceman. I am not saying he definitely becomes a PP guy, but there is nothing that has me worried he can't be at this stage.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
For me Buium is going to be the best player of this draft. So I’m happy to draft him @ 2 overall, yet I hope KD plays up draft rankings and other team views and trades down and acquires more assets, while still nabbing buium.
To me he has all the physical attributes( skating, skills, not big but solid and strong) combined with a high hockey IQ. He’s very cal markar(esque).
Also he has the ability to adjust and elevate his game against stiffer competition and big Game moments.
Not to mention , he’s just winner at every level he’s played , and a leader amongst winners.
I try to trade down a bit for more assets while still getting him , but if not I take him at 2 , I’d take him at 1 actually

He can control games when he's on. Tough call if that translates to the big league but if it did?

Being 18 in the NCAA and backing guys off the way he does is incredibly impressive. And he's got a whole tool set on just that part of his game. If he can do that in big league he'd be a possession monster for a team. Really a unique player, kinda has some Hossa to his game but on D.

If he panned out like he did as a freshman in the NCAA you have a player that tilts your ice regardless of who else is skating. That's a team changing type of talent.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Let's curb the talk on Russian politics.

It's not going to have any effect on who the Blackhawks draft, so it doesn't need to be discussed.

The discussion should be about the players, and the players only.

Reactions: Idionym

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
He is a magical playmaker in terms of surprising the competition. But, the knock on the MHL is legit too. A lot of those highlights make the OHL look defensively stout by contrast, oof. Also sounds like two leg injuries in the past year as well? Minor injuries though.

Thing about amazing vision is you need linemates who are ready for it. Some players can make that vision simple for others around them, like Kane. For most others it doesn't land at the NHL level and then they can't fall back on the fancy plays like they could at the lower level.

I don't think this is an easy choice as some are declaring.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
There is a lot at play with the "Russian Factor" lets stop pretending its just his KHL contract. His country is in an active HOT WAR and its expanding not contracting, The US has an embargo against Russia and all relations between countries is at all time high. Also lets not forget Michkov's father was literally murdered days after discussing his son going to play in the USA! People can pretend all they want but those are very real serious issues and I would not roll the dice on him while trying to build around Bedsy.
This is what I was referring to earlier. This kid is not the clear cut second best player in this draft, the situation in Russia cannot be ignored. I get taking a flyer later in the draft but the second pick? It is extremely risky for someone who is not the clear cut second best player in the draft to take, you could end up with nothing and that is not an option. I wanted this kid but the more I think about it the more I think it should be a pass. I would not be surprised if this kid falls down the board a bit, not the only team which should have these concerns.

Reactions: BHFAN92

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is what I was referring to earlier. This kid is not the clear cut second best player in this draft, the situation in Russia cannot be ignored. I get taking a flyer later in the draft but the second pick? It is extremely risky for someone who is not the clear cut second best player in the draft to take, you could end up with nothing and that is not an option. I wanted this kid but the more I think about it the more I think it should be a pass. I would not be surprised if this kid falls down the board a bit, not the only team which should have these concerns.
I was skeptical before, too, regarding the Russia situation. At this point, I don't believe there's any reason to think he wouldn't be coming over.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
1) He is either 2nd or 3rd best player, for sure. I think he is likely the 2nd most talented player, and the most talented player available to the Blackhawks.
2) Can you explain how it is extremely risky? End up with nothing? The only way you end up with nothing is if he is bad.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
They actually had a lot of games streamed on YouTube without geopolitical restriction. I work remote and would have the Playoff games streamed a lot of the time as it'd typically be around 9 or 10 am our time when they'd play. Demidov very notably stands out amongst his competition.

Yes and the two notable hockey websites play MHL games all the time. I was easily able to watch MHL playoff games, as well as KHL playoff games for Kantserov.

Reactions: Muffinalt

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
He is a magical playmaker in terms of surprising the competition. But, the knock on the MHL is legit too. A lot of those highlights make the OHL look defensively stout by contrast, oof. Also sounds like two leg injuries in the past year as well? Minor injuries though.

Thing about amazing vision is you need linemates who are ready for it. Some players can make that vision simple for others around them, like Kane. For most others it doesn't land at the NHL level and then they can't fall back on the fancy plays like they could at the lower level.

I don't think this is an easy choice as some are declaring.

Yeah, if only the Blackhawks had a great playmaker they could pair him with to make the transition even easier.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I mean he had 35 points in 38 games as an 18 year old freshman defenceman. I am not saying he definitely becomes a PP guy, but there is nothing that has me worried he can't be at this stage.
He's really good at 5v5 offense, but his powerplay skills aren't that amazing. Sam Dickinson is the same way as a point per game guy in the OHL even though he's playing lower competition. Levshunov projects well as a #2 defenseman that plays PP2 and PK1. That's my hope if we draft him. If we don't draft him, I hope he fails

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
It's rough when you're picking 2nd overall and instead of there being a consensus, there's like 5 names in contention.

The fans here seem to overwhelmingly want Ivan Demidov.

Mike Doneghey probably wants Artyom Levshunov.

Kyle Davidson probably wants Sam Dickinson.

I think Anton Silayev is the way to go, though Cayden Lindstrom has lots of upside too (only if he's healthy). I'm also very fond of Tij Iginla as he's the player in the draft with the most dog in him.

I really have no idea what's going to happen.
Agreed; which I why I think we should trade down

Lion13

May 7, 2024
He can control games when he's on. Tough call if that translates to the big league but if it did?

Being 18 in the NCAA and backing guys off the way he does is incredibly impressive. And he's got a whole tool set on just that part of his game. If he can do that in big league he'd be a possession monster for a team. Really a unique player, kinda has some Hossa to his game but on D.

If he panned out like he did as a freshman in the NCAA you have a player that tilts your ice regardless of who else is skating. That's a team changing type of talent.
I agree and I think it will translate and he will be extremely impactful at the nhl level. Also we could possibly trade down a few spots and pick up another nice asset or two while still picking him.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
Let's curb the talk on Russian politics.

It's not going to have any effect on who the Blackhawks draft, so it doesn't need to be discussed.

It's relevant because we can't watch them compete against the best teams in the world (Canada, US, Sweden, Finland. etc)

They haven't played at the highest level possible yet because they're banned from international competition....that makes drafting a Russian risky imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad