Who should play on the third pairing?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
People are acting like Nurse will back come and start off where he left off. If that was the case, Davidson would already be a #3D

Agreed. Players need time to get their legs underneath them. 10 games from now Davidson could be looking like a beast again, or he could not be. Hes coming back from injury and now just starting to look good again

So in 10 games from now when Nurse is back ready to fully join the team there might not even be a spot

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Agreed. Players need time to get their legs underneath them. 10 games from now Davidson could be looking like a beast again, or he could not be. Hes coming back from injury and now just starting to look good again

So in 10 games from now when Nurse is back ready to fully join the team there might not even be a spot

Nurse is better than Davidson.

Nurse will be back in 2 games, not 10.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nurse is better than Davidson.

Nurse will be back in 2 games, not 10.

Yup. Nurse is able to engage opponents much more often with his speed and aggression. Where he needs to be careful is to balance those attributes because he was caught out of position many times last year.

If Nurse can come back to playing the responsible hockey he was playing before he got hurt Nurse/Benning is a better pairing than Davidson/Benning.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Klefbom--Larsson
Sekera--Russell
Nurse-Benning

Who knows how Nurse will look like though. He was trending pretty well prior to injury, but that injury was a big one. Still our most mobile dman.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nurse and Benning no question. Might take nurse a bit to get up to speed so I don't mind Davy roatating in there for a bit but game 1 of the playoffs I'm icing

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Russell
Nurse Benning

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I went with Matthew and Brandon, but you can't really go wrong with Darnell.

I'd honestly take Fayne over Gryba.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
It's a tough choice but if no injuries then probably Nurse and Benning. I sure do love the depth on defense this year. And the option to throw Gryba in the lineup when some physical element is needed is so nice.:hit:

What was Brandon Davidson drafted, 6th round? Lol
What a beauty! :razz:

Sure we can probably upgrade in places, but after the past 5-6 years I've got a nice smile on my face. I won't complain with the progress this group has done this year.

A extra shout out to Talbot is in order too. He's helping all the defenseman look pretty decent.:tvhappy:

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Benning
Nurse - Russell
Davidson
Gryba

Never know how Nurse will be when he gets back so i'd be fine rotating Davidson in when needed.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Easy. Tough to take Davidson out of the lineup, but Nurse is the better player. Might take him a bit to ease back in. Benning has just been playing too well. I think you can just rotate those 3 depending on who's playing well.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't change a winning lineup except Gryba is out then Russel returns. Davidson is a better smarter defender than Nurse at the moment. Nurse would be #7 and in when there are injuries.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm surprised people are saying Benning has been doing super well on the second pairing. He's keeping his head above water, but Sekera's been less evective since taking on the babysitting role.

However at the same time, there's zero chance Benning's the one who should draw out.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I mistakenly read the thread title as, " Why should I play on the third pairing," and was wondering why Kris Russell was starting threads on HFOil

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Davidson and Klefbom both took a while to recover from their injuries and get back to form (Davidson is only just arriving). If Nurse goes from 0-100 out of the gate, then sure, I guess. But that seems unlikely.

Benning definitely belongs in the line up too, though. Maybe we should run 7 D while Nurse gets his legs under him, our D is strong this year and we have a lot of guys who can be double shifted up front.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I think this year you send Nurse to the Ahl to get caught up to speed, then give him a couple games before playoffs. His game is suited to playoff hockey.

Next year is going to be interesting though. For cap reasons I would keep Davidson over Russell if possible with the expansion draft.

Klef - Larsson
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Davidson
Reinhart

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think this year you send Nurse to the Ahl to get caught up to speed, then give him a couple games before playoffs. His game is suited to playoff hockey.

Next year is going to be interesting though. For cap reasons I would keep Davidson over Russell if possible with the expansion draft.

Klef - Larsson
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-Davidson
Reinhart

Well he's playing on this road trip probably on Friday so we shall see where he's at and take it from there I guess.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Klef - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

love it. Can mix up the 2nd and 3rd line depending on performance/compatibility. Really impressed with our D this year considering how sketchy it was before the season started.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Klef - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

love it. Can mix up the 2nd and 3rd line depending on performance/compatibility. Really impressed with our D this year considering how sketchy it was before the season started.

Should be Davidson instead of Nurse. Let Nurse be either #7 or get conditioning in the AHL.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think Davidson is still better than Nurse, but it's good to have depth for once.

Klefbom
Larssson
Sekera
Russell
Benning
Davidson
Nurse
Gryba
Oesterle
Reinhart
Fayne

In that order.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
I love Nurse and have a lot if time for him. But I voted Benning and Davidson.

At this point, Benning is a lock. And I just don't trust Nurse to get back to speed soon enough to reduce the mistakes he was making prior to his injury. At this stage of the year, we're needing to roll with the roster that is most up to snuff now, and that's a solid Davidson who has puck-moving skills and a fairly calm demeanor, and the seeingly overachieving Benning, who's playing like a guy 3 years older and 6 inches taller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad