Who should play on the third pairing?

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Let's assume that there are no injuries.

Larsson, Klefbom, and Sekera are undisputedly the top three (not necessarily in that order, in case anyone feels like another Larsson debate :D ). Russell is polarizing but I don't think it's realistic to expect him to be taken off the second pairing.

So that's two spots available for four players: Nurse, Benning, Davidson, and Gryba.

In your opinion, which two players should initially get those spots?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Let's assume that there are no injuries.

Larsson, Klefbom, and Sekera are undisputedly the top three (not necessarily in that order, in case anyone feels like another Larsson debate :D ). Russell is polarizing but I don't think it's realistic to expect him to be taken off the second pairing.

So that's two spots available for four players: Nurse, Benning, Davidson, and Gryba.

In your opinion, which two players should initially get those spots?

Not surprisingly ill disagree with this. Benning has been doing well on the second pairing and as a righty makes the most sense there. No need to take him off now

I voted Benning and Davidson given the options. But my ideal plan would be:

1)When Russell comes back, pair him with Davidson on third pairing to let Russell ease back into line up. No need/justification to rush him back to 2nd pairing. Re-evaluate the bottom 3 D after 4/5 games

2) When Nurse comes back, send him to AHL for 4/5 conditioning games. No pressing need to have him in the line up assuming everyone is healthy and playing well. When hes ready to go fully after some AHL time, this will be in ~10 games from now. Do a second evaluation of the D to see who goes where. Nurse should get 3LD for development purposes (and hes shown hes earned it somewhat)

Truth be told its tough to find a concrete answer. Its a game by game thing for me. embarassement of riches from depth D tho

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Not surprisingly ill disagree with this. Benning has been doing well on the second pairing and as a righty makes the most sense there. No need to take him off now

I voted Benning and Davidson given the options. But my ideal plan would be:

1)When Russell comes back, pair him with Davidson on third pairing to let Russell ease back into line up. No need/justification to rush him back to 2nd pairing. Re-evaluate the bottom 3 D after 4/5 games

2) When Nurse comes back, send him to AHL for 4/5 conditioning games. No pressing need to have him in the line up assuming everyone is healthy and playing well. When hes ready to go fully after some AHL time, this will be in ~10 games from now. Do a second evaluation of the D to see who goes where. Nurse should get 3LD for development purposes (and hes shown hes earned it somewhat)

Truth be told its tough to find a concrete answer. Its a game by game thing for me. embarassement of riches from depth D tho

In that case, for anyone who prefers Benning on the second pair, the question can be modified to which of the other three players gets the last spot to play with Russell.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I really think our top 5 with be

Larsson
Klefbom
Russell
Sekera
Nurse

The other 3 will rotate in and out of lineup.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Davidson has been playing good hockey and he's more reliable than Nurse. Benning should never be a scratch IMO

If the playoffs started tomorrow, I trust this D core the most:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Davidson - Benning

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Davidson has been playing good hockey and he's more reliable than Nurse. Benning should never be a scratch IMO

If the playoffs started tomorrow, I trust this D core the most:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Davidson - Benning

I dont think so at all, Davidson is easily replaced.

Im not sure why Oiler fans continue to over rate this player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning
Trade

Davidson for a forward.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Nurse was playing over Klefbom before he got hurt, thats how impressive he was.

Um no he wasn't... He's looked a lot better this year because he's actually being sheltered. He was never ahead of Klebom and if he was, it was for a handful of games.

Davidson was thrown to the wolves playing 22+ mins a game to close out the 15/16 season and didn't look out of place doing so.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Um no he wasn't... He's looked a lot better this year because he's actually being sheltered. He was never ahead of Klebom and if he did, it was for a handful of games.

I didnt say the whole season, but before he got hurt he was.

Nurse is a legit NHL dman with more potential then any other dman we have. We will continue to play him.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I didnt say the whole season, but before he got hurt he was.

Nurse is a legit NHL dman with more potential then any other dman we have. We will continue to play him.

I agree that Nurse has the highest upside out of all the Oiler dmen but at no point was he playing above Klefbom

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Honestly I would trade Russell and go with:

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Benning
Nurse Davidson
Gryba

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Davidson and Benning.

Gyrba as our #7.

Nurse logging big minutes in the minors and available for a call up.

Top 4 of Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom, and Russell.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Benning's play this year would definitely give reason to not have Russell's name written in stone on the 2nd pair. But Russell would also be a dead lock for the 3rd, so I guess it doesn't matter. The only thing it changes, would possibly be improving Gryba's shot at getting votes on account of him being the only other RHS.

Either way, Benning would for sure is one of the two picks in this poll.

Davidson taking some time to get back up to speed opened the door for Nurse to get my vote, but he's starting to look like the guy who played so well for us last year. Couple that with Nurse's injury, I'm going with Davey.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Davidson and Benning.

Gyrba as our #7.

Nurse logging big minutes in the minors and available for a call up.

Top 4 of Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom, and Russell.

I don't think this would be a bad idea. Let Nurse get his speed and timing back and in the AHL while logging big minutes and then recall him after 10 games or so to gear up for the playoffs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Itll take a while for Nurse to get back into the swing of things. Hes a young D who was just finding his groove before injury, now hes missed significant time. 5 games in the minors is a must for me. Then when hes called up, id start him as the #7 D rotating in and do that for 5/10 games. By the time I feel hed be ready to be a regular again itll be near the end of the season and playoffs starting

For me I dont really care which D are in the top 6 as long as Gryba is not one. Ill take any combination of the 6 when all are healthy. Also id hate to see a D struggling for 2/3 games kept in the top 6 at the expense of another D sitting out

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People are acting like Nurse will back come and start off where he left off. If that was the case, Davidson would already be a #3D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad