Who should Leafs Target with Nashville Pick? (24th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Seems like an 11-18 range guy kind of guy.

I figure he is gone at 24. I don't mention him for that an tend to lean towards Sprong who has a very good chance of being there. He is ranked 24-28 usually. No character issues, he is just kind of Kesselish defensively.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I figure he is gone at 24. I don't mention him for that an tend to lean towards Sprong who has a very good chance of being there. He is ranked 24-28 usually. No character issues, he is just kind of Kesselish defensively.

Said it in another thread I have my favourites at our draft slots;

A. Hanifin
B. Marner
C. Strome

A. Ek
B. Harkins
C. Meloche

Ek and Harkins play at a more important position and are more defensively responsible which is why I have a preference to them at pick #24.

I've heard issues with defense with Sprong which is a big concern for me personally as i've had the privledge of watching a top 6 who don't play a 2-way game.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Said it in another thread I have my favourites at our draft slots;

A. Hanifin
B. Marner
C. Strome

A. Ek
B. Harkins
C. Meloche

Ek and Harkins play at a more position and are more defensively responsible which is why I have a preference to them at pick #24.

I've heard issues with defense with Sprong which is a big concern for me personally as i've had the privledge of watching a top 6 who don't play a 2-way game.

It's a valid concern. With Sprong you're really crossing your fingers that he develops that. The skill though is pretty Elite in CHL terms.

Add reading. http://www.mckeenshockey.com/tag/daniel-sprong/

Last edited:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I think I've settled on Erikkson Ek being the pick I want the most at 24. He just sounds like the perfect type of player for the Leafs, brings a lot to the table. Plays hard, good defensively, good shot, good vision, good size, he sounds like a total package kind of player.

Could someone who knows more about him tell me why he is ranked as low as he is? Like I said, sounds like a total package, kind of surprising he's projected to go in the later part of the first round...

Swayze*

I think I've settled on Erikkson Ek being the pick I want the most at 24. He just sounds like the perfect type of player for the Leafs, brings a lot to the table. Plays hard, good defensively, good shot, good vision, good size, he sounds like a total package kind of player.

Could someone who knows more about him tell me why he is ranked as low as he is? Like I said, sounds like a total package, kind of surprising he's projected to go in the later part of the first round...

That means somebody else is going to snag him!

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
To me, Eriksson ek. if he is not available, then svechnikov. If not, Guryanov (need to get the memo first, if he wants to come to NA)

Mar 26, 2010
A player that will never amount to anything is who Toronto will draft at 24th.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009

:laugh: I think I speak for everyone when I say that I really hope you are wrong. New management group. Let's not assume they will make the same mistakes that the previous GM's made. And besides, the draft involves some luck, particularly after the top couple of picks. The Leafs just haven't been particularly lucky. Not to mention they have mishandled the development of prospects over the years. But things will hopefully be different moving forward.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
4th:

Noah Hanifin
Mitch Marner
Dylan Strome

24th:

Denis Guryanov
Jeremy Bracco
Joel Eriksson Ek
Colin White

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
We have assets aside from Kessel and Phaneuf that can be packaged together with the 24th pick to get us into the teens of the draft IMO. Holland, Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander and Rielly are the Leafs' most valuable trading chips, but upon further inspection, Leafs management has a difficult choice in front of them having hired Babcock.

The ShanaGroup can talk the talk about wanting to rebuild the right way, but the MO from day 1 has always been improving the team. And hiring Babcock might just be the glimmer of hope for the team and its long-term health. Could playing under Babcock improve the trade value of our most valuable players? I'm one of the guys that doesn't expect a significant trade this draft but instead expects movement come next year's trade deadline because you see... the stage is set for next year. We will have our historic red-hot starts and when you add to that lowered expectations, a better coaching system, and the further maturation of our young-guns.... our guys will be performing at their peaks.

Maybe we'll see a Phaneuf for White+Stajan+pieces kind of trade to try to make the playoffs. Maybe we'll be able to trade a guy like Lupul for a young player or picks. But most likely, we'll be trying to sneak our way into the top of the 2016 draft.

Which leads to another question: assuming another bottom-5 finish, how do the current players compare to the ones that will be available next year? It's hard to determine the BPA between Marner, Hanifin and Strome currently but could a guy like Brown, Day or Chychrun from the 2016 draft be a sort of manner to not only get BPA but also fulfill positional-based needs?

Assuming no movement:
4th: Hanifin, Marner or Zacha
24th: too hard to determine. Draft a faller or one of Guryanov, Bracco, Boeser, Sprong, Kylington or Eriksson-Ek.

High on Zacha, Kylington and Bracco due to boom-bust and team philosophy of drafting skill-first. We need to move the 24th pick up XD

Last edited:

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014

If you "know" this, then why are you even on HFBoards? The best thing about this website is speculating. So if you have already developed an opinion/prediction, and aren't open to change, then what's the point?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
He's a future grinder. Stephens is a good pick in the 3rd or 4th round but if anyone picks him in the top 50, they're asking to lose their job.

He has little pro upside offensively.

There's a guy out in Calgary that will take him in the 2nd round, and he'll likely trade up to do so.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Joel Ek or a reach for Dunn... wouldnt mind taking a risk on Bracco or Sprong...

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

Funny I read or saw a review of Sprong and his aversion to defense is apparently legendary, I consider that a flaw. Being defensively lax is not unusual in young players but with Sprong this aversion was particularly noteworthy, I can think of a star in the NHL that also has this flaw.

I'm hoping character is a significant barometer of the possible players TO will consider on draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad