Who should Leafs Target with Nashville Pick? (24th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Everyone's always talking about boom/bust draft picks, well how about Conor Garland,he was passed up in last years draft despite having 54 points in 51 games in the Q (1.05ppg). This year he put up 129 points in 67 games (1.93ppg). The reason he wasn't drafted was his small (5'8) stature. If you look at Nick Ehlers who also played in the Q his draft +1 year he put up 101 points in 51 games (1.98ppg) which is very comparable to Conor Garland's (1.93ppg). Garland was 43rd on Craig Button's final rankings for 2015. I don't know if I'd use the Nashville pick on him, but maybe if we trade for a second rounder, or even if he falls to our third round pick I would love to have him in the system. His 5'8 frame is biggest question mark to whether or not he can make the NHL but his potential/upside is too good to pass up on. This is a perfect example of a boom/bust pick and if that's really what the Leafs are going for then this kid needs to be picked.

No sense in trading up , he'll be available in the 4th round. We can use Pittsburgh's pick on him.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I've finally come around to doing research on guys ranked in this area and I can't say I prefer anyone in particular. I'm trying to compare this 2011 where I was set on 2 of Jenner, Saad, Puemple and Rattie for our picks. But here, with no clear apparent BPA, well we need everything. I think for this pick I'm not gonna be worried about it or have a set preference, I'll just let them select the player and be happy about it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

predicting the nashville pick

forecasting the late first round is tough. Mark hunter, director of player personnel, hasn’t tipped his hand at all. Nor has dubas.

But, it is reasonable to conclude that the leafs’ first selection will dictate their second choice at the draft. The two potential scenarios run like this:

Scenario 1: If the leafs choose marner or strome (or lawson crouse? Just kidding. I think.)

if the leafs secure a forward at fourth overall, it’s reasonable to think that the team will choose a defenseman with the nashville draft pick. It’s no certainty. But a prospect depth chart as needy as toronto’s needs to bring balance to all positions.

That’s where jeremy roy could fit.

Roy led all sherbrooke defensemen in points with 43 points (5 goals, 38 assists) playing in only 46 games. He served as an assistant captain for canada at the 2014 ivan hlinka memorial and is noted for his intelligence and mobility.

If the leafs finish the first round of the draft with dylan strome or mitch marner and jeremy roy, the prospect pool will be markedly deeper.

Scenario 2: If the leafs choose hanifin..

If the leafs secure the swift-skating hanifin with the fourth choice, look for the team to tab an offensive prospect with the nashville pick.

And if it’s offense they want, charlottetown islanders’ center filip chlapik would be an intriguing choice.

In an interview with yahoo! Sports‘ neate sager, chlapik was open about his need to improve his skating, physicality, and shot generation. But, as sager outlines, the 6’1, 196 lbs. Czech-native is a creative playmaker. Chlapik managed islanders’ rookie records for goals (33) and points (75) and is an offensive gamble that could develop into a top-six scorer at the nhl level.

Hanifin and chlapik as first round picks would set the leafs up well with a top-notch defenseman prospect and an intriguing offensive player with upside.

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
Say Jeremy Bracco is 5'11''. If he measures that at the combine on Monday does he rise into the top twenty? Has top 15 talent and only knock on him is size. What's everyone thought on him? Worth the 21 pick if still growing?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
What about the possibility of the Leafs trading down with the #24 to someone like Columbus for the #34 and #38 picks?
They could likely pick up a guy like Alexander Dergachev at at either of those positions and get another good prospect. Drafting Dergachev (6"4, 200, C) and Jordan Greenway (6"5, 220, LW) who can both skate and have some hands would give them a couple of beasts to compliment Nylander and Marner if they pick him at #4.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
What about the possibility of the Leafs trading down with the #24 to someone like Columbus for the #34 and #38 picks?
They could likely pick up a guy like Alexander Dergachev at at either of those positions and get another good prospect. Drafting Dergachev (6"4, 200, C) and Jordan Greenway (6"5, 220, LW) who can both skate and have some hands would give them a couple of beasts to compliment Nylander and Marner if they pick him at #4.

Leaf's best bet, IMO.

It'd be like being on the winning end of the Biggs trade.:laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If there is an option to package this pick to move up this draft, I would. Merkley is going to be one of the best players this draft in my humble estimation. Continues to make a believer in me. Very bullish on this kid.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If there is an option to package this pick to move up this draft, I would. Merkley is going to be one of the best players this draft in my humble estimation. Continues to make a believer in me. Very bullish on this kid.

He caught the eye on the first night vs. Rimouski, I'm sure WHL followers already knew all about him. I recall Blitz saying before the tournament that his line made Provorov and Pilon look rather average.

I referred to him as the WHL's Mitch Marner in the prospects thread, And he may not be too far off of him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He caught the eye on the first night vs. Rimouski, I'm sure WHL followers already knew all about him. I recall Blitz saying before the tournament that his line made Provorov and Pilon look rather average.

I referred to him as the WHL's Mitch Marner in the prospects thread, And he may not be too far off of him.

Merkley is magic. Some team is going to get lucky getting him. Played a huge game tonight, just could not get any puck luck.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There are quiet a few options at # 24, and some very good options that include Some might be picked earlier, still possibilities) Merkley, Kylington, Guryanov, Svechnikov, White, Sprong and so on

Pretty good list to pick from

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
There are so many good players available at 24 I feel it's not a year to trade up or down. There could be some important players dropping into that range Chabot, Zacha, Meier but there's the solid pick crew with Boesner, White, Zboril, and Cprey Pronman's Mitchell Stephens.

Great Draft.

My real hope is in the free agents signings where Dubas and Hunter get to show there knowledge of junior hockey. Moose Jaw's Jack Rodewald was one of those savvy pick-ups but the Leafs. So was Byron Froese. More of that please - this has me excited about the future.

Tyler Johnson has reminded the hockey world that the best players aren't always obvious and sometimes not even drafted.

Chevboyarsky

Oct 23, 2014
Is there a reason why we shouldn't trade down and acquire more picks?

I wonder this too.

I'm liking what I'm reading about Nikita Korostelev. I'd guess he's still available in the mid to late 30's.

He had the best forward totals on, what I'm guessing, wasn't a great Sting team. Similar PPG to Zacha and is rated as the 50th best prospect in NA by NHL central scouting.

Better PPG than Crouse.

"A deft skater that plays a skill-based, puck-possession game. Very creative with the puck: can let loose an accurate bullet, utilize his stickhandling ability to create chances, or make a seeing-eye pass to an open teammate. Good hands around the net and relentless on the forecheck. Doesn't shy away from the physical game. All-in-all, a very creative sniper that can set up, score, and play physical. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183258

So between him and the possibility of Merkley, Sprong, Harkins, Kylington, Bracco falling or Vande Sompel, Greenway and some others.

Even trading for a combo of a slightly lower pick and some later picks and taking some flyers on Mangiapane, Garland, Timashov, Pius Suter, Gagne, Estephan would be ok with me.

Anyway I'm sure Hunter and Dubas have a strategy involving a bunch of OHL prospects that they're somewhat to very familiar with.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is there a reason why we shouldn't trade down and acquire more picks?

"A bird in the hand are better than 2 in the bush." ;)

If there is a player there at #24 that has real strong BPA value and appeal you stay and draft, however if the field has balanced itself out than you prefer 2 chances at hitting verses 1 by trading down.

Anaheim dealt the #22 pick to Toronto (Tyler Biggs) and then drafted 30th (Rickard Rakell) and #39 John Gibson). The team with the earlier pick firing blanks and the team trading down having both players on their final 4 roster of the Stanley Cup playoffs this year.

With Hunter in charge now we would hope to be Anaheim in future draft results with a trade back for more picks.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

If there is a player there at #24 that has real strong BPA value and appeal you stay and draft, however if the field has balanced itself out than you prefer 2 chances at hitting verses 1 by trading down.

Anaheim dealt the #22 pick to Toronto (Tyler Biggs) and then drafted 30th (Rickard Rakell) and #39 John Gibson). The team with the earlier pick firing blanks and the team trading down having both players on their final 4 roster of the Stanley Cup playoffs this year.

With Hunter in charge now we would hope to be Anaheim in future draft results with a trade back for more picks.

Wow nice post Mess. That's it in a nutshell isn't it. The leafs were full of bravado but not hockey smarts.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Eriksson Ek or Harkins aren't available at pick #24, i'm all for moving down and getting an extra pick.

Moving down to 28th from 24th and getting an extra 2nd or something of that would be nice.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I wonder this too.

I'm liking what I'm reading about Nikita Korostelev. I'd guess he's still available in the mid to late 30's.

He had the best forward totals on, what I'm guessing, wasn't a great Sting team. Similar PPG to Zacha and is rated as the 50th best prospect in NA by NHL central scouting.

Better PPG than Crouse.

"A deft skater that plays a skill-based, puck-possession game. Very creative with the puck: can let loose an accurate bullet, utilize his stickhandling ability to create chances, or make a seeing-eye pass to an open teammate. Good hands around the net and relentless on the forecheck. Doesn't shy away from the physical game. All-in-all, a very creative sniper that can set up, score, and play physical. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183258

So between him and the possibility of Merkley, Sprong, Harkins, Kylington, Bracco falling or Vande Sompel, Greenway and some others.

Even trading for a combo of a slightly lower pick and some later picks and taking some flyers on Mangiapane, Garland, Timashov, Pius Suter, Gagne, Estephan would be ok with me.

Anyway I'm sure Hunter and Dubas have a strategy involving a bunch of OHL prospects that they're somewhat to very familiar with.

Sprong is ridiculous good but has flaws. If he is there I just don't get how we would pass on him.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

That was exactly the example I was thinking of when I asked that question. At this point, we just don't have any good forward prospects beyond Nylander. Perhaps getting 2 picks in the 30s is worth more than getting a single pick at 24th.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The thing is we have Nylander, and IF we drafted Marner, I can't see them going for Sprong.

What's better than one scoring wingers? TWO scoring wingers! What's better than two scoring wingers? The fact that Marner or Nylander still might end up as Centres.

Sprong is the perfect boom or bust pick imo. Flaws that might be fixable with good coaching and a huge upside. With Babcock and a strong organizational commitment to prospect development, I think he would be a great pick and a potential steal at 24th.

What the Leafs do with this pick is the most exciting part of the draft :popcorn:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What's better than one scoring wingers? TWO scoring wingers! What's better than two scoring wingers? The fact that Marner or Nylander still might end up as Centres.

Sprong is the perfect boom or bust pick imo. Flaws that might be fixable with good coaching and a huge upside. With Babcock and a strong organizational commitment to prospect development, I think he would be a great pick and a potential steal at 24th.

What the Leafs do with this pick is the most exciting part of the draft :popcorn:

Eh, wouldn't be disappointed with a Sprong pick but..

I have my favourites for the draft slots in the 1st round -

A. Hanifin B. Marner and A.Eriksson Ek B.Harkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad