Who should EDM pick

who should EDM pick with the 2nd over all pick and why

• Total voters

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I am going to do a vote for the top 10 picks who EDM would pick in that position.
Not going to do 1st as we know it would be Dahlin.
So we are going to start with the 2ndover all pick who should EDM draft with the 2nd over all pick and why.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers will Oil. What makes people I here think guys like Svechnikov is going to click with McDavid when guys like Pulju, Hall, etc dont. It's all the same. All these guys are either too enigmatic, or play better when they carry the puck Svechnikov is no different. Slightly better skillset then Pulju but not as highly touted. Oilers simply dont have 4 years for Svechnikov to develop. Connor will want out in 2 if things dont change significantly. You use your picks to go after a winger in his early to mid 20s, or a solid offensive defenseman. We should be well past the drafting stage. We have been drafting for a decade guys lol. Seriously. Sure entry level contracts are great. But it's clear we lack more then just one talented 18 year old Russian winger to save the day.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oilers will Oil. What makes people I here think guys like Svechnikov is going to click with McDavid when guys like Pulju, Hall, etc dont. It's all the same. All these guys are either too enigmatic, or play better when they carry the puck Svechnikov is no different. Slightly better skillset then Pulju but not as highly touted. Oilers simply dont have 4 years for Svechnikov to develop. Connor will want out in 2 if things dont change significantly. You use your picks to go after a winger in his early to mid 20s, or a solid offensive defenseman. We should be well past the drafting stage. We have been drafting for a decade guys lol. Seriously. Sure entry level contracts are great. But it's clear we lack more then just one talented 18 year old Russian winger to save the day.
True, he's not going to solve all of your problems, but you have to start somewhere, and this is a nice start. Hopefully our GM fills in some other holes this year besides having a nice draft, as well as some guys rebound and reboot.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
What do you guys think that separates Svechnikov from Zadina

A post I made in the draft thread:
Svech has undeniably better goal scoring numbers, and goes to the hard areas of the ice to score in. He doesn't necessarily need to with his shot, but it's great to see that he's using his size and power to drive deep to score almost on instinct. Zadina, on the other hand, might have the more accurate shot but he's always using a lot of time and space to get those shots off. He won't get that room at the NHL level. He also likes the much-maligned move of dusting the puck off too, and that's going to drive HFOil insane after Eberle. People still complain here when any other player does it.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I think that I'd like to see the Oilers take a d-man and have mentioned this before simply because Boqvist might have a chance to be a top one and we can stop with the endless search to acquire one. But will they? I don't know because they seem forward centric with high 1st rounders .

To be fair though we also need scoring help on either wing so they'd be justified in taking one for sure. But I'm with some that feel the time has come to trade it for immediate help because we should be in a win now mode! My opinion.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I voted Tkachuk aswell. Heis suppose to be better then his brother and look how well his brother has done early on in his career. As long as he plays a cleaner game im all for it. Not to mention battle of alberta would be more entertaining

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Obviously BPA would be Svechnikov.
But assuming the Oilers won't be drafting 2nd, I want one of Bouchard, Hughes, Boqvist, or Tkachuk in no real order.

Reactions: McWeber

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
There are two things this team needs a scoring winger and a dman that can play on the PP.
If we move the pick can we really get the player we need and how old will he be.
What ever player we trade for needs to at least have one more year left as an RFA or signed long term

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Sveshnikov.

Then trade him in a few years to save on cap space.

I'm kidding, please don't kill me.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Personality is key. No more goofy idiots like Yakupov and Puljujarvi. Serious players like Draisaitl and Klefbom only.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Who has the best shot? Sorry I don't know anything about prospects anymore

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
What do you guys think that separates Svechnikov from Zadina

Svechnikov is bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled, better production, better advanced stats, stacks up better historically to other great drafted players and is younger.

The real question should be what is Zadina better at than Svechnikov. The answer is not much. He's a little better around the net. Has a knack for scoring goals. His shot is either comparable or maybe slightly better than Svech's. But other than that I'd probably pick Svech over Zadina for everything else. Someone did a comparison of them on youtube a month ago. It was closer than I make it out here.

Here is the link to it:

Reactions: Aerrol

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018

Why would we want Svech to play with McDavid? I think he's a perfect fit for Drai. Having Svech with Drai will maximize both of there potential (kind of like when Hall played with Drai). It would also provide the Oilers the two scoring lines we should have had if Chia wouldn't have made some trade he completed that may or may not have been talked about a little bit on HF.

McDavid is going to produce regardless of who he plays with.

And Svechnikov is way better than Pulj. Svech stacks up historically well to some of the best players to come out of the OHL:

Now I agree he doesn't solve all the problems. We still need to address the PMD but don't underestimate how good Svechnikov is.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Tough call for me, Svech is the obvious BPA, but I think I might actually pick Boqvist. Or at least trade down a spot and pick Boqvist.
I've been binging on his shift-by-shift videos, and I don't have much doubt he'll be the second best defenceman in this draft. He checks aloooot of boxes for this team. The only thing he needs is a bit more strength, but that will come.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Svechnikov:

With 2+1 tonight, Andrei Svechnikov extends his point streak to 22 games and 44 points (20+24). He now sits with 70 pts (39+31) in 43 GP.

His 1.63 points-per-game ranks 6th in the OHL & his 0.89 goals-per-game sits 2nd in the CHL

He's also 17yo, despite what you may have heard
— /Cam Robinson/ (@CrazyJoeDavola3) March 17, 2018

He also sits second in the OHL in primary points-per-game (1.41) behind only Jordan Kyrou – who is two years older.

The Russian winger converted on 20.18 percent of his low-danger shots, 22.86 percent of his medium danger attempts and 33.33 percent of his high-danger opportunities. This illustrates his innate ability to score in a myriad of ways.

Prospect Ramblings: CHL Advanced Stats, A Marathon Match and a Chip on a Shoulder

----------------------------------------

Here's a website with even more advanced stats on the kid:

Andrei Svechnikov - Prospect-Stats

Reactions: Aerrol

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Svechnikov...I would not be upset with Boqvist either though. Secondary scoring & a PMD are both huge needs. I can't imagine Chia passing on Svech cuz he likely plays next year & Chia needs results next year OR................................

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad