Who should EDM pick

who should EDM pick with the 2nd over all pick and why

• Total voters

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If we win the lottery, I have no qualms with Dahlin or Svechnikov.

But with where we are at now, I would take Wahlstrom 100%, even before Tkachuk or Dobson or Hayden. Wahlstrom is legitimately a player and has the chance to be Eichel like. Here are his comparables and the list is insane.

Of course, there will actually be some seasoning and wait needed for him to realize his full potential, and I don't trust Edmonton management with that.

Reactions: Aerrol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Personality is key. No more goofy idiots like Yakupov and Puljujarvi. Serious players like Draisaitl and Klefbom only.

I get what you're saying but honestly though you could say Laine is/was a goofball.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Boqvist or go home. The only player in the draft that can help us immediately moving forward. The Oilers need that 10 year stud defensemen with tremendous puck moving ability to grow with the team. We have none. Look for a way out of the Sekera contract, go after Green in the offseason to play with Boqvist, teach him the ropes. A core of Nurse,Larsson,Green,Boqvist,Klefbom should be solid moving forward.

RNH gets permanent status with 97, look for a fast winter with Drai, someone who can one time pucks from the opposite end. Move Lucic down to the third line wing position. He is no longer a top 6. Salary or not.

Unfortunately this is all opposite of what's going on in Chiarellis head......

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we win the lottery, I have no qualms with Dahlin or Svechnikov.

But with where we are at now, I would take Wahlstrom 100%, even before Tkachuk or Dobson or Hayden. Wahlstrom is legitimately a player and has the chance to be Eichel like. Here are his comparables and the list is insane.

Of course, there will actually be some seasoning and wait needed for him to realize his full potential, and I don't trust Edmonton management with that.

Honestly he's probably my pick too. His shot release is insane.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Why would we want Svech to play with McDavid? I think he's a perfect fit for Drai. Having Svech with Drai will maximize both of there potential (kind of like when Hall played with Drai). It would also provide the Oilers the two scoring lines we should have had if Chia wouldn't have made some trade he completed that may or may not have been talked about a little bit on HF.

McDavid is going to produce regardless of who he plays with.

And Svechnikov is way better than Pulj. Svech stacks up historically well to some of the best players to come out of the OHL:

Now I agree he doesn't solve all the problems. We still need to address the PMD but don't underestimate how good Svechnikov is.

Pulju's FEL stats also stacked up against the best of them. Not to speak of his stats in the U20. There he blows Svech out of the water.

Great prospect Svechnikov, but in my book OHL stats aren't so valuable as to proclaim him as the better prospect than many 2-5 OA picks in general. Nothing is certain and honestly I very much prefer a highly touted Swedish D prospect vs a highly touted Russian winger.

The latest top Swe D in the draft have been Lindholm, Larsson, Hedman and OEL. That's it. Russian wingers have been some good ones but also Yak, Filatov, Zherdev, Nischkushin.

I think it has to do with that Swe D are, or have been, underestimated, due to the fact that SEL is a tough league for young D. These kids will be and are judged on their raw qualities and not their production. Russian skilled wingers are not really overestimated, but as all wingers I think it is easier to get a great pts/goals season and it is easier for people to get blown away by it.

Edit: I feel the same about Zadina as I do about Svech. 5+ OA, no problem, but 2-4 (for EDM) I have Boqvist, Bouchard and Hughes.

Last edited:
Reactions: nexttothemoon

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Oilers will Oil. What makes people I here think guys like Svechnikov is going to click with McDavid when guys like Pulju, Hall, etc dont. It's all the same. All these guys are either too enigmatic, or play better when they carry the puck Svechnikov is no different. Slightly better skillset then Pulju but not as highly touted. Oilers simply dont have 4 years for Svechnikov to develop. Connor will want out in 2 if things dont change significantly. You use your picks to go after a winger in his early to mid 20s, or a solid offensive defenseman. We should be well past the drafting stage. We have been drafting for a decade guys lol. Seriously. Sure entry level contracts are great. But it's clear we lack more then just one talented 18 year old Russian winger to save the day.

No team is ever well past the drafting stage. We thought we were 3 years ago and we are paying for that impatience. Connor will want out if things don't change significantlly. He was just 2 goals away from a conference final. Everything went wrong this year, he knows that. He knows this team is a few tweeks away from being right back where they were last season.

With that rational thought line, you simply take the best player! Raise the value of our overall assets.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Svechnikov, he's the best skater and the most offensively gifted player in the draft. 3rd overall should be Zadina due to his versatility and goal scoring prowess. 4th overall should be the best choice according to Fenton, Brisebois, or whoever we hire to replace the mentally deficient baboon masquerading as the Edmonton Oilers general manager at the moment.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Svechnikov, he's the best skater and the most offensively gifted player in the draft. 3rd overall should be Zadina due to his versatility and goal scoring prowess. 4th overall should be the best choice according to Fenton, Brisebois, or whoever we hire to replace the mentally deficient baboon masquerading as the Edmonton Oilers general manager at the moment.

Boqvist and Hughes skating is much more impressive then Svech.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad