Who replaces Colorado in the ECHL?

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Within the next few years I feel that the ECHL will be getting smaller not larger. Look at the attendence and there are about 5-7 teams that might not be around. Might even be smart for some to drop down to the SPHL (Norfolk, S. Carolina, Greenville) They don't need to replace Colorado, but they do need to shore up some of the franchises the presently have.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Within the next few years I feel that the ECHL will be getting smaller not larger. Look at the attendence and there are about 5-7 teams that might not be around. Might even be smart for some to drop down to the SPHL (Norfolk, S. Carolina, Greenville) They don't need to replace Colorado, but they do need to shore up some of the franchises the presently have.

ECHL contraction wouldn't surprise me.

Adirondack has more players from their unofficial affiliates Tampa Bay/Syracuse than they do from their official affiliates New Jersey/Binghamton. New Jersey has assigned only Ken Appleby (0 GP) and Colton White (3 GP) to Adirondack this season and both are back in Binghamton. Injured Chris Calnan is the only player from Binghamton who is currently assigned to Adirondack.

With AHL clubs giving PTOs to ECHL players who are not playing for their official affiliates and NHL/AHL official affiliates not being required to provide a minimum number of players to their ECHL affiliates the 31/31/31 model doesn't seem necessary.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
ECHL contraction wouldn't surprise me.

Adirondack has more players from their unofficial affiliates Tampa Bay/Syracuse than they do from their official affiliates New Jersey/Binghamton. New Jersey has assigned only Ken Appleby (0 GP) and Colton White (3 GP) to Adirondack this season and both are back in Binghamton. Injured Chris Calnan is the only player from Binghamton who is currently assigned to Adirondack.

With AHL clubs giving PTOs to ECHL players who are not playing for their official affiliates and NHL/AHL official affiliates not being required to provide a minimum number of players to their ECHL affiliates the 31/31/31 model doesn't seem necessary.

Stupid move on Adirondack's part having anything to do with the NJ Devils organization. The whole greater Albany region is out of love with the Devils organization. They should have affiliated with Tampa/Syracuse, Buffalo/Rochester, and after this season should try to secure either Boston or the Rangers/Hartford affiliation. Islanders are locked up with Worcester so they are tied up. So far anyone other then a Devils assigned player to Adirondack are positively contributing to the team's success. I think being affiliated with the Devils is contributing to their lukewarm support at the gates.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... With AHL clubs giving PTOs to ECHL players who are not playing for their official affiliates and NHL/AHL official affiliates not being required to provide a minimum number of players to their ECHL affiliates the 31/31/31 model doesn't seem necessary.
That's an interesting perspective. The NHL has seemingly shown no more than a passing interest in building up the ECHL, and it's been primarily for the purposes of on-ice official development & prospect parking. I agree with previous posters that the ECHL's focus should be on stabilizing rather than expanding; but just like the NHL, the ECHL owners' decisions are driven by the almighty expansion dollar.

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
All it takes for the ECHL to come to OKC is an available building with an ice plant and a guy with a bunch of money to burn. Colorado's ECHL franchise will be available next year along with probably one or 2 others. If not, the ECHL would grant an expansion franchise to pretty much anyone with a plan. What happened in OKC with the AHL doesn't matter, the ECHL is a different animal. If there was one spot in the US that could slide right in to Colorado's spot, it's OKC.
what others 2 teams could move?

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
That's an interesting perspective. The NHL has seemingly shown no more than a passing interest in building up the ECHL, and it's been primarily for the purposes of on-ice official development & prospect parking. I agree with previous posters that the ECHL's focus should be on stabilizing rather than expanding; but just like the NHL, the ECHL owners' decisions are driven by the almighty expansion dollar.

Tonight Binghamton iced 11 F/7 D because they have 4 injured F and are only carrying 7 D. I don't see any players being sent down to Adirondack from the organization in the near future.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
would the team in San Antonio move from the AHL to the ECHL like we've seen before

San Antonio is becoming the affiliate for the Blues next year. Without looking it up I believe the agreement is for 5 seasons as the Blues owners don't have any interest in owning their own AHL team which was evident in selling Peoria when they took over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad