Who replaces Colorado in the ECHL?

Discussion in 'ECHL, NWHL, and other Minor Pro Leagues' started by Big Z Man 1990, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Big Z Man 1990

Big Z Man 1990 Registered User

Home Page:
    With Colorado moving to the AHL, where does the ECHL franchise go?

If the Eagles owner sells the ECHL team, he would have to sell to an owner who would keep it in the general vicinity of the Mountain Division. Maybe they can try Albuquerque?

2. Agalloch

Agalloch EliteProspects

Home Page:
    Albany ?

3. JMCx4

JMCx4 Registered User

Keeping with the theme: "Albuquerque, Albany ... Altoona?"

ETA: Or should that have been: "... Alberta?"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  4. JMCx4

JMCx4 Registered User

I don't see that condition being enforced nor necessary. The ECHL North Division has only six teams now, so several scenarios are credible based on recent history: (1) shuffle the divisions again to balance with whatever town becomes the former Eagles' home: (2) leave the Mountain with 6 teams and adjust the size/composition of the other three divisions as appropriate & possible; (3) what if the Eagles simply turn their franchise over to the League, and the remaining BOGs take their time replacing Loveland? They've got quite a way to go to catch up with the NHL/AHL #s, so why not proceed slowly & do expansion right?

Avsrule2002 likes this.
  5. royals119

royals119 Registered User

I agree. I see no reason why the Eagles owners would be restricted to only sell in their local area. The Aces were sold to a group in Maine and the Icemen moved from Indiana to Florida. I'm sure if they can find a buyer who meets the league criteria they will be allowed to sell regardless of geography. The divisions are rarely balanced, so I don't see that being an impediment to a good opportunity to expand or relocate.

6. PCSPounder

PCSPounder Stadium Groupie

If the Avs are trading over their AHL franchise to around an hour's drive, one wonders if they'd try to influence the E team placement.

I start to think Colorado Springs, and an affiliation "might" become a better draw than when the Gold Kings puttered there.

Yes, I know, Colorado College is more established and likely to thwart a plan or two. Funny things happen with money, however.

7. kyfry

kyfry Registered User

I think Albquerque would be good as long as its at Tingley and not at Rio Rancho. Rio Rancho has been quite the failure for hockey and is pretty far from Albuquerque itself. What about El Paso? Prescott Valley? I know there is someone in Billings looking at hockey returning, and I know Billings is still quite far apart between Idaho, Rapid City and Utah. Reno has always been thrown around.

8. Nightsquad

Nightsquad Registered User

To my knowledge Albany was being eyed by the Rangers organization. They (Rangers) wanted to relocate to Albany couple seasons ago but when Lamoriello was the Devils GM he blocked such a move. Now Albany is vacant, meanwhile the Rangers already had a one year agreement left in Hartford anyway. My understanding the people in Utica however are trying to beat Albany to the punch for the Rangers and are in a good position to do that. The ECHL I believe stated they are not interested in placing a team in Albany which could hurt the already established Adirondack team. The Rangers in Albany would seem to make sense, that area is all about NYC sports. There are probably more New England based fans of the Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots then there are NJ Devils fans in greater Albany. Once they did away with the River Rats brand in Albany back in 2010 the Albany area fans fell out of love for the Devils organization. I bet the Rangers in Albany could easily do as well if not better then what the new team in Springfield is doing, that's definitely a NYC sports fan base.

9. Avsrule2002

Avsrule2002 "No more rats"

Martin Lind wouldn't sell the ECHL team to anyone nearer than Colorado Springs. Even Casper might be to close. (Eagles pull a lot of fans from southern Wyoming). The Springs might be ok because of the Denver city barrier. It's just not in his best interest to have a cheaper hockey option near his new AHL franchise. Which kind of sucks because I think it would be very cool to bring the Cutthroats back at the Coliseum in the E. All 3 affiliates within 50 miles of each other.

10. mk80

mk80 Registered User

I wouldn't think they'd be forced into selling in the same division. The question is whether there is a buyer in another market for the franchise rights.

11. Neill99

Neill99 Registered User

12. Neill99

Neill99 Registered User

I agree I also think they go to Albuquerque NM

13. monarchsfan90

monarchsfan90 Registered User

NO don't not give albany a another team

14. Woo Hockey

Woo Hockey @WooHockeyNews

Home Page:
    I thought so too. Most recent sales and relocations haven't occurred within the same market, take for example Alaska-Maine and Evansville-Jacksonville. Nothing really different here, sell to the highest bidder or find a group who has a plan to make the franchise successful.

15. Nightsquad

Nightsquad Registered User

Its not a question of "giving" them another team, nobody just gets a team. Someone has to invest in the team, its their money not yours personally. The Devils in Albany were overpriced, although some would say they are on par but when you break down perks and discounts in other AHL markets Albany was pricey. They charged well over $20.00 to $28.00 per ticket on game nights, with little promotions locally. Albany's games were seldom even covered on radio broadcasts, only when the Yankees or Giants weren't on the air (that's pretty much a bulk of the season start and late season through playoffs), the Devils did little to make going to games in Albany a fun night out for casual fans (necessary evil for minor league sports, even in the AHL), lastly many will argue the team should have been promoted locally, on a local level, with a local brand identity (River Rats). Only two of the Devils six seasons in Albany were actually good, the previous were bottom feeding teams. I think a team there whether its the ECHL or AHL if affiliated right, managed well, and people behind the effort are putting forth a model that works the team could have much better success. Springfield for years was drawing behind Albany, Binghamton only bettered Albany by couple hundred fans, Albany has the solid facilities and population to do better but its a competitive market there. ECHL just under an hour north, and two DI NCAA hockey teams both within 15 and 20 minutes from Albany with one team having won a National Championship in 2014, expectations are set high there locally. Their local minor league baseball team draws very well in addition to the two local DI basketball teams nearby. I don't think its not capable of doing well, many people believe the Rangers AHL team would do well there locally, I think they would to. Whether its AHL or ECHL I see that city doing okay as long as the product is competitive, and a fun time for an evening out. The Devils organization demanding all their Saturday home games starting at 5pm was stupid, no wonder the fans grew tired of it, poor decision on the Devils, good for practice and rest but bad for walkup causal fans and non season subscribers.