St. Louis, MO
Keeping with the theme: "Albuquerque, Albany ... Altoona?"

ETA: Or should that have been: "... Alberta?"

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With Colorado moving to the AHL, where does the ECHL franchise go?

If the Eagles owner sells the ECHL team, he would have to sell to an owner who would keep it in the general vicinity of the Mountain Division. Maybe they can try Albuquerque?
I don't see that condition being enforced nor necessary. The ECHL North Division has only six teams now, so several scenarios are credible based on recent history: (1) shuffle the divisions again to balance with whatever town becomes the former Eagles' home: (2) leave the Mountain with 6 teams and adjust the size/composition of the other three divisions as appropriate & possible; (3) what if the Eagles simply turn their franchise over to the League, and the remaining BOGs take their time replacing Loveland? They've got quite a way to go to catch up with the NHL/AHL #s, so why not proceed slowly & do expansion right?

Reactions: Avsrule2022

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I don't see that condition being enforced nor necessary. The ECHL North Division has only six teams now, so several scenarios are credible based on recent history: (1) shuffle the divisions again to balance with whatever town becomes the former Eagles' home: (2) leave the Mountain with 6 teams and adjust the size/composition of the other three divisions as appropriate & possible; (3) what if the Eagles simply turn their franchise over to the League, and the remaining BOGs take their time replacing Loveland? They've got quite a way to go to catch up with the NHL/AHL #s, so why not proceed slowly & do expansion right?

I agree. I see no reason why the Eagles owners would be restricted to only sell in their local area. The Aces were sold to a group in Maine and the Icemen moved from Indiana to Florida. I'm sure if they can find a buyer who meets the league criteria they will be allowed to sell regardless of geography. The divisions are rarely balanced, so I don't see that being an impediment to a good opportunity to expand or relocate.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
If the Avs are trading over their AHL franchise to around an hour's drive, one wonders if they'd try to influence the E team placement.

I start to think Colorado Springs, and an affiliation "might" become a better draw than when the Gold Kings puttered there.

Yes, I know, Colorado College is more established and likely to thwart a plan or two. Funny things happen with money, however.

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
I think Albquerque would be good as long as its at Tingley and not at Rio Rancho. Rio Rancho has been quite the failure for hockey and is pretty far from Albuquerque itself. What about El Paso? Prescott Valley? I know there is someone in Billings looking at hockey returning, and I know Billings is still quite far apart between Idaho, Rapid City and Utah. Reno has always been thrown around.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

To my knowledge Albany was being eyed by the Rangers organization. They (Rangers) wanted to relocate to Albany couple seasons ago but when Lamoriello was the Devils GM he blocked such a move. Now Albany is vacant, meanwhile the Rangers already had a one year agreement left in Hartford anyway. My understanding the people in Utica however are trying to beat Albany to the punch for the Rangers and are in a good position to do that. The ECHL I believe stated they are not interested in placing a team in Albany which could hurt the already established Adirondack team. The Rangers in Albany would seem to make sense, that area is all about NYC sports. There are probably more New England based fans of the Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots then there are NJ Devils fans in greater Albany. Once they did away with the River Rats brand in Albany back in 2010 the Albany area fans fell out of love for the Devils organization. I bet the Rangers in Albany could easily do as well if not better then what the new team in Springfield is doing, that's definitely a NYC sports fan base.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Martin Lind wouldn't sell the ECHL team to anyone nearer than Colorado Springs. Even Casper might be to close. (Eagles pull a lot of fans from southern Wyoming). The Springs might be ok because of the Denver city barrier. It's just not in his best interest to have a cheaper hockey option near his new AHL franchise. Which kind of sucks because I think it would be very cool to bring the Cutthroats back at the Coliseum in the E. All 3 affiliates within 50 miles of each other.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I wouldn't think they'd be forced into selling in the same division. The question is whether there is a buyer in another market for the franchise rights.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
With Colorado moving to the AHL, where does the ECHL franchise go?

If the Eagles owner sells the ECHL team, he would have to sell to an owner who would keep it in the general vicinity of the Mountain Division. Maybe they can try Albuquerque?

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
To my knowledge Albany was being eyed by the Rangers organization. They (Rangers) wanted to relocate to Albany couple seasons ago but when Lamoriello was the Devils GM he blocked such a move. Now Albany is vacant, meanwhile the Rangers already had a one year agreement left in Hartford anyway. My understanding the people in Utica however are trying to beat Albany to the punch for the Rangers and are in a good position to do that. The ECHL I believe stated they are not interested in placing a team in Albany which could hurt the already established Adirondack team. The Rangers in Albany would seem to make sense, that area is all about NYC sports. There are probably more New England based fans of the Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots then there are NJ Devils fans in greater Albany. Once they did away with the River Rats brand in Albany back in 2010 the Albany area fans fell out of love for the Devils organization. I bet the Rangers in Albany could easily do as well if not better then what the new team in Springfield is doing, that's definitely a NYC sports fan base.
NO don't not give albany a another team

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I wouldn't think they'd be forced into selling in the same division. The question is whether there is a buyer in another market for the franchise rights.

I thought so too. Most recent sales and relocations haven't occurred within the same market, take for example Alaska-Maine and Evansville-Jacksonville. Nothing really different here, sell to the highest bidder or find a group who has a plan to make the franchise successful.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
NO don't not give albany a another team

Its not a question of "giving" them another team, nobody just gets a team. Someone has to invest in the team, its their money not yours personally. The Devils in Albany were overpriced, although some would say they are on par but when you break down perks and discounts in other AHL markets Albany was pricey. They charged well over $20.00 to $28.00 per ticket on game nights, with little promotions locally. Albany's games were seldom even covered on radio broadcasts, only when the Yankees or Giants weren't on the air (that's pretty much a bulk of the season start and late season through playoffs), the Devils did little to make going to games in Albany a fun night out for casual fans (necessary evil for minor league sports, even in the AHL), lastly many will argue the team should have been promoted locally, on a local level, with a local brand identity (River Rats). Only two of the Devils six seasons in Albany were actually good, the previous were bottom feeding teams. I think a team there whether its the ECHL or AHL if affiliated right, managed well, and people behind the effort are putting forth a model that works the team could have much better success. Springfield for years was drawing behind Albany, Binghamton only bettered Albany by couple hundred fans, Albany has the solid facilities and population to do better but its a competitive market there. ECHL just under an hour north, and two DI NCAA hockey teams both within 15 and 20 minutes from Albany with one team having won a National Championship in 2014, expectations are set high there locally. Their local minor league baseball team draws very well in addition to the two local DI basketball teams nearby. I don't think its not capable of doing well, many people believe the Rangers AHL team would do well there locally, I think they would to. Whether its AHL or ECHL I see that city doing okay as long as the product is competitive, and a fun time for an evening out. The Devils organization demanding all their Saturday home games starting at 5pm was stupid, no wonder the fans grew tired of it, poor decision on the Devils, good for practice and rest but bad for walkup causal fans and non season subscribers.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
OKC.
Then, I'd love to see a way TUL, WICH, OKC, KC and Allen could be in the same division. I don't see it happening as the ECHL has to accommodate the MT zone teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
OKC.
Then, I'd love to see a way TUL, WICH, OKC, KC and Allen could be in the same division. I don't see it happening as the ECHL has to accommodate the MT zone teams.
WHO would own or operate an OKC franchise though, then becomes the question, and based off the history of the Blazers/Barons, it cannot be at Chesepeake Energy Arena, and who knows if Cox Center has removed the ice.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The ice plant at the Cox Convention Center is less than five years old...I'm sure it works just fine.
BUT again lies, the other issue, who owns a franchise there, and has the damage between the Blazers and Edmonton's control and if not Prodigal, then who, or has the market been irreparaly damaged aka scorched to a degree?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
There's no "issue" with ownership there. Just like what happened in Worcester, and like what happened in Portland, either someone will buy a team to put in OKC, or someone won't. Could be someone there, could be an "outsider" decides to move there and buy a team. To even speculate on an ownership group is silly at this point.

Last edited:

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
One of the top 5 wealthiest counties in the US is in OKC's DMA. If the league wants a team in OKC, I'd bet they could fine one. And, if OKC has an owner we haven't heard about, I'm sure the AHL has.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
One of the top 5 wealthiest counties in the US is in OKC's DMA. If the league wants a team in OKC, I'd bet they could fine one. And, if OKC has an owner we haven't heard about, I'm sure the AHL has.
Pro hockey at the AHL Level HAS SAILED after the OILERS/Barons 5 year existence, Gare, THERE's no option to add OKC again at the AHL Level, otherwise wouldn't there be a team actively there, and Prodigal said they were financially insolvent, which is why they left, since they were operating the franchise.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Pro hockey at the AHL Level HAS SAILED after the OILERS/Barons 5 year existence, Gare, THERE's no option to add OKC again at the AHL Level, otherwise wouldn't there be a team actively there, and Prodigal said they were financially insolvent, which is why they left, since they were operating the franchise.

Yeah, that whole mass migration of AHL teams to California had nothing at all to do with the Barons moving...

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
All it takes for the ECHL to come to OKC is an available building with an ice plant and a guy with a bunch of money to burn. Colorado's ECHL franchise will be available next year along with probably one or 2 others. If not, the ECHL would grant an expansion franchise to pretty much anyone with a plan. What happened in OKC with the AHL doesn't matter, the ECHL is a different animal. If there was one spot in the US that could slide right in to Colorado's spot, it's OKC.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
All it takes for the ECHL to come to OKC is an available building with an ice plant and a guy with a bunch of money to burn. Colorado's ECHL franchise will be available next year along with probably one or 2 others. If not, the ECHL would grant an expansion franchise to pretty much anyone with a plan. What happened in OKC with the AHL doesn't matter, the ECHL is a different animal. If there was one spot in the US that could slide right in to Colorado's spot, it's OKC.
if that was the case, then why hasn't that already happened?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad