OT: Who Remembers the Pre-Championship Raptors?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I will admit that I really do not know much about basketball - was never a sport I cared about (still don't), or understand really. I did/do cheer for the Raptors (despite the Pistons being across the river from me). Last year's finals was pretty much the only basketball I watched, so yes...call me a bandwagon jumper. I still will probably only watch if they get to the finals.

That being said......NBA and NHL are hard to compare like we are doing here. It's much easier to go on a big win streak in the NBA (look at the crazy long winning streaks in the NBA), and as has been mentioned, much less parity in the NBA. Also....there might be less elite impactful (even say generational) stars in the NBA, so when you get a Lebron it's again, easier to win. You usually have 2 or 3 teams in the entire league that are favourites (usually on a run of multiple years - see Golden State or whatever team LeBron was with), while the NHL is much more competitive that way.

It's better to compare the Leafs to a team like Washington Capitals - how many early exits, or they had their nemesis in Pittsburgh (our Boston Bruins). Let's have some patience here.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Basketball is different sport and cap is different. 5 players are on the court + substitutes. You bring two superstars to Raptors and with your own stars you have 5 stars on all the time. Leafs arguably have all of the stars they can afford on the ice right now. Problem is to find 16 more good to great players with cap dollars they have (impossible).
They tried to substitute Kadri with stud on D, but failed miserably. Do that again with another star forward. If that fails go back into rebuild.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
DD trade for Kawhi, arguably the best in the sport
Emergence of the bench mob
Siakam emerged as a star
Veteran (ex-star) Gasol traded for
It doesn't take a genius to trade Demar for Kawhi. We have to count our lucky stars that Kawhi was made available through extenuating circumstances. The only people upset with this deal were Demar, Kyle and a small faction of moronic Raptor Fans.

Reactions: Plat87

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yeah that was my thought as well, that the poster just looked at the regular season standings. Playoff Lebron is different than regular season Lebron though, it's like night and day and bookmakers are well aware of this.
We were never the favourites in 2017-18 our record was better int he reg season but that doesn't mean much when you come against Lebron.

You can make the case of us being the underdog in 16 and 17, but in 18 after Kyrie left leaving Lebron with no #2 and the Raptors dominating the East in that regular season, we absolutely were the favourites to win.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
They were making conference finals and winning rounds so I’d agree with you.

There is no argument that can be made where lebron is the greatest player ever. Stop with this narrative. You must be like 15 years old

“KapG” on a hockey forum worrying about dudes age. Try growing up

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
If Toronto traded our franchise star (Matthews) we’d be the ones giving up Kawhi

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
“KapG” on a hockey forum worrying about dudes age. Try growing up
The f*** are you even on about? Are you dumb?

the reference to his age would mean that he never saw Michael Jordan actually play because if he did he wouldn’t be saying dumb stuff like Lebron is the Goat lol.

As for “KapG”, thats a handle I’ve been using for like 20 years. It’s an acronym that represents my full name you moron. So once again, what are you going on about?

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
The f*** are you even on about?

KapG would be an acronym that represents my full name you moron. So once again, what are you going on about?

you get so heated so quick KapG. Must be a 15 year old

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Kyrie left leaving Lebron with no #2 and the Raptors dominating the East in that regular season, we absolutely were the favourites to win.

I did not put any stock into dominating the east that season. I wanted to finish second to avoid the Cavs and was annoyed when the Pacers didn't scrape out a game 7 win in round 1.

Love (although on the decline) had an unreal series, had a 30+ point game if I remember correctly and dominated the glass. Hill, Korver, and JR are all solid starting players that rotate well on D and complimented Lebron Also it's Lebron in the playoffs. We had no answer for him and betting against him going into that series would have been mental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad