Post-Game Talk: Who needs the playoffs anyways? 5-3 Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hhane Snidy

Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You don't always deal from a position of weakness at the TD even when dealing UFA's. Teams on the cusp or those looking to add a bit more are usually willing to sell a bit of the farm to make a solid go at it. Happens every TD.

I thought we should trade both Ladd and Buff before the season began and I still think that. The sooner we get away from the Atlanta core we inherited the better they were never going to be contenders. They are all great supporting cast guys but none of them were elite. The only one close is Wheeler at this point IMO.
We need to establish our own identity and if that means suffering for a season or two I am okay with that. The sooner everyone here comes to terms with it the better.
Full Tank Ahead!! Trade Ladd and Buff and let's suck for a bit so we can get better!

I agree and management needs to come to terms with this plan and pick which way we are going. I feel like we are on a ship with no Captain. I'm still expecting Chevy to pull out some David Copperfield stuff and we will all celebrate...

but right now....do not have high hopes. What the heck is he doing and where are we going?

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
Outside the playoff picture on American Thanksgiving. Does not bode well for our chances. Chevy, make your choice. Sign Buff or Ladd or trade them.

He's keeping them for trade bait at the deadline. It's starting to seem he had a lazy, bargain bin off season for a reason now. He wants to win, but he'll make damn sure he does it the Winnipeg Dollar store way :nod:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Ahh professional sports. Nothing like getting angry at something you can't control to cap off an evening

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just don't see us playing with the same commitment to defense.

Very disappointed.

I tend to agree on the surface it feels like the other team gets to pick the type of game and we react to the style and try to adapt. Also it wouldn't hurt if our goalies got on a roll for 10 to 15 games and carried the the team.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-post-Caps-300x169.png

Topics: How did he see that one play out? Is it a matter of confidence on the D zone coverage? Did Ladd have a little more jump? Did he think there was some contact by Williams? What other levers does he have to limit the opponents? Did they inquire with Oshie carrying the puck? Did the power play look better tonight? Was the power play goal against deflating after they had fought back?

To listen click here.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I tend to agree on the surface it feels like the other team gets to pick the type of game and we react to the style and try to adapt. Also it wouldn't hurt if our goalies got on a roll for 10 to 15 games and carried the the team.

Yep, feel the same way.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
We need better top end players, to me Perrault and Stafford aren't good enough to play on the second line. It just seems like Scheifele is carrying that line most nights and he doesn't get any help. Ehlers might help with that but he's just a kid and so is Scheif.

Another thing, is Stuart ever going to be benched? He doesn't do ANYTHING!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Who's got the keys to the tank? Fill 'er up, turn her over, and let's go for it. Full tank ahead.

The reality of an NHL with 30 teams ( and maybe more one day ) is that if you are not in the playoffs you are better off finishing dead last. Get the highest pick you can and hopefully develop something good from it. Just missing the playoffs every year may be good for those who like moral victories, but it's the road to perpetual mediocrity.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Who's got the keys to the tank? Fill 'er up, turn her over, and let's go for it. Full tank ahead.

The reality of an NHL with 30 teams ( and maybe more one day ) is that if you are not in the playoffs you are better off finishing dead last. Get the highest pick you can and hopefully develop something good from it. Just missing the playoffs every year may be good for those who like moral victories, but it's the road to perpetual mediocrity.

This year there is a lottery for Picks 1, 2 and 3.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Time to take a look at the assistant coaches.

I've been calling for Vincent's removal every season after the 1st.

Would like to get a real NHL goalie coach and have Flaherty removed from his role in the organization before he gets near Helle. I guess there aren't many Stephane Waites and Mitch Korns on the unemployed goalie coach lines.

Not likely to happen.

Vincent, Huddy, Flaherty sign three-year contracts with Jets
Team has re-signed assistant coaches Charlie Huddy and Pascal Vincent, along with goaltending coach Wade Flaherty to three-year contracts.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-coaches-re-sign-with-the-team-311569901.html

This team needs a shakeup but honestly Chevy just hasn't provided the horses to run and Maurice seems to have badly judged some talent. Spouting off how Adam Lowry will be shutting down other teams top centre icemen and 1/4 into the season he is playing 4th line wing.:shakehead

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

Agreed. Calgary before trading Iggy was stuck for years as a bubble team and it didn't do them much good. Best to suck it up for a year or two and pick up a high quality player in a position of need if that's what we're missing. To be honest this team will look very different next season and even more so 2 years from now.

Derfel*

You know what? Like drinking before noon, I think there should be a rule that you can't talk about tanking until Christmas. If we can string together 3 or 4 wins in a row, we're back in it. I think we're still in the hunt, after less than sober second thought.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm really wondering about my devotion to the Jets and the time I spend watching them game in and game out, I am really questioning my decision to resign from the board of the cat club that I belong to back in 2011!:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad